• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious/moral objections to certain forms of work and difficulty finding a job...help?

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
My problem is this: I live in a town which has suffered heavily during the recession, and as a result new jobs in my town are pretty difficult to come by and highly competitive.

The problem I have with this is that many of the jobs that are open to me I would feel uncomfortable doing as I hold them to be morally objectionable. For example, recently two betting shops were advertising for cashiers. I would feel totally unable to do this job as I find gambling to be a moral wrong (haraam) and I would be particularly unhappy in making a wage from assisting others to do haraam acts.

I'm currently working with a work programme and they've been close to semi-useless in understanding this objection I have towards certain types of work and why I feel this way.

What do I do?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
You just recently came into islam correct? Idk if your town has and if you know your local islamic community but perhaps someone might know of a job opening that meets your religious needs.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
This is something I've considered but the Muslim population here is both small and fairly new. There's close to few totally Islamically suited businesses as a result, and certainly no totally Islamic businesses (such as Islamic clothing/bookstores, halal food stores etc).

Maybe I should start my own business? :confused:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I understand your objection to not wanting to work for a betting agency, but surely if you are looking for work as widespread as cashier jobs, surely there's more options out there. Why not just become a cashier at the grocery store? If your objection to that is that they sell pork, then yes, I think you're being a bit too extreme.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
I understand your objection to not wanting to work for a betting agency, but surely if you are looking for work as widespread as cashier jobs, surely there's more options out there. Why not just become a cashier at the grocery store? If your objection to that is that they sell pork, then yes, I think you're being a bit too extreme.

I wouldn't mind doing that sort of cashier/shop work one bit, but I have the problem that there simply aren't any jobs like that around here. There's Christmas and temporary work, but even that's difficult to find.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I don't particularly like giving people heart attacks in a paper or foil wrapper, or sometimes a box, but it pays the bills. I've even worked for a company that repossessed homes and cleaned them out to get it ready for the market, which was something that I did not enjoy at all but it paid the bills.

Last edited:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
It is your decision to feed and support yourself.

It is other peoples' decision to gamble.

If you wind up on public assistance you'll be living off the tax money of every kind of 'sin' imaginable. You can always change jobs later.

Take walmart. The absolute LAST place on earth I would ever want to work. (and for ethical/humanitarian reasons). Still if I HAD TO to feed my family I would do it temporarily. Hell, I'd much rather GoGo dance- but I fear the patrons wouldn't agree. :D:D

BSM1

What? Me worry?
People are going to spend their dollars any way they wish. You would not be forcing them to place bets. However when I was younger I did quit a good insurance career when I got to the point that I was actually lying to people to make the sale. Bottom line--you have to be able to face yourself; so make sure you are going to like what you see.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I hate to say it, but if there are no jobs for you in your town, then maybe you need to look somewhere else.

Something else to consider: I'm not a Muslim (and Muslims, feel free to correct me), but AFAIK, there's a general principle that the rules of halal/haraam aren't meant to be held so firmly that it hurts you or does damage to you... so, for instance, you can eat pork if the alternative would be to starve. Maybe a similar principle is at play here. You mentioned that there's a (small) Muslim community where you are; maybe you could seek out some advice about this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My problem is this: I live in a town which has suffered heavily during the recession, and as a result new jobs in my town are pretty difficult to come by and highly competitive.
The problem I have with this is that many of the jobs that are open to me I would feel uncomfortable doing as I hold them to be morally objectionable. For example, recently two betting shops were advertising for cashiers. I would feel totally unable to do this job as I find gambling to be a moral wrong (haraam) and I would be particularly unhappy in making a wage from assisting others to do haraam acts.
I'm currently working with a work programme and they've been close to semi-useless in understanding this objection I have towards certain types of work and why I feel this way.
What do I do?
One makes the best choice one can. Hypothetically, if the cashier job is the only one available, & the alternative is going on the dole, then you pick the
least objectionable of the 2 choices. The dole pays money forcibly taken from taxpayers, so you might decide that cashier is the better temporary option.

Wirey

Fartist

What do I do?

What the Hell does your religion have to do with your job? Your opinion of gambling is irrelevant to the people gambling, and your failure to accept the job harms you and helps no one. This is Allah's wish? Really?

If you're right, every AIDS researcher should quit, along with all police (they just prop up Caesar, so to speak), not to mention fireman (God's Will, so let it burn). Take the job.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

What do I do?

Don't take those jobs, if it compromises your ethics.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What the Hell does your religion have to do with your job? Your opinion of gambling is irrelevant to the people gambling, and your failure to accept the job harms you and helps no one. This is Allah's wish? Really?

If you're right, every AIDS researcher should quit, along with all police (they just prop up Caesar, so to speak), not to mention fireman (God's Will, so let it burn). Take the job.

I have sympathy for him. I've quit two jobs for ethical reasons: one because I objected to other business my company was engaged in (my company was bought by a firm that had a division that had a contract to refuel and rearm warplanes in Kuwait during the Iraq War) and one because of aspects of the work I was being asked to do myself.

I was lucky, though: I had other stuff to fall back on. Another job offer in the one case, and a safety net of savings in the other. If it had meant not being able to pay my mortgage, the decision would have been a lot more difficult.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear matthias ,

This is something I've considered but the Muslim population here is both small and fairly new. There's close to few totally Islamically suited businesses as a result, and certainly no totally Islamic businesses (such as Islamic clothing/bookstores, halal food stores etc).

Maybe I should start my own business? :confused:

start your own bussiness , yes best idea , what are you good at ? and what is needed localy ?

I have allways worked for myself because from a buddhist perspective there is right livlihood to concider , so like you there are many things I would not want to be doing , so I simply focus on what I can do and pray a lot that I will find my way through ,

it is better to try to find some way to support yourself as eventualy the job center will put presure on you to accept something which you feel uncomfortable with , I am sure that they will help you to start a business or at least help support you whilst you try to get something going , I know in wales that ther is a lot of support for people who want to start their own businesses , your jobcenter will know who to put you in touch with localy ,

another good thing if you canot find any work and you have to rely on state support which must be very demoralising , is to ask to do some voluntary work , this way you are giving something back to society and you are getting to meet some new people , and usualy these are very good and positive people to be around , it is good for you moraly and mentaly , it is helpfull to others and is a very good thing to have on your C.V.

you could also go and speak to your local chamber of trade comerce and industry , they may have some ideas to help you or know other businesses who might need help , or even might be able to put you in contact with other organisations that can help,
but before you go think hard as to what you are good at and what you want to do that way you avoid the awkward discussions about what you cant or dont want to do , which most people think is a bit odd , however I promice you I do not !

personaly I canot work within the mainstream , I dont think that way , I would go crazy if I was not doing something I beleived in , so as a creative person I have to work with what I can do , everyone has some skill , it is a matter of identifying it and gaining the confidence to work with it .

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

What do I do?

Hello Matthias!

1. Please don't turn anything down, or they can withdraw your benefits.
2. For best spiritual and material advance, take the first and lowliest job offered. Honest!

I had a posh job, but when I retired, a mate who runs a cleaning business told me that I must learn carpet cleaning and do it part-time. (What!) But he said, 'You'll love it, you'll get fit, try it.'

My family (stuck up tw-ts) all felt scandalised. I've done it for three years now. Stronger and fitter than I was thirty years ago. All the Letting Agents got to hear of my work and for now we must turn some away until I can train up a new person to take over, so that I can go back to my 4 days. My mate's business has grown, 'cos people don't like clearing muck themselves, or anything too lowly.

Oh...... and I love every moment of it. So pick anything, however lowly, and discard all critique....... well, that's my advice. Good Luck!

Wirey

Fartist
I have sympathy for him. I've quit two jobs for ethical reasons: one because I objected to other business my company was engaged in (my company was bought by a firm that had a division that had a contract to refuel and rearm warplanes in Kuwait during the Iraq War) and one because of aspects of the work I was being asked to do myself.

I was lucky, though: I had other stuff to fall back on. Another job offer in the one case, and a safety net of savings in the other. If it had meant not being able to pay my mortgage, the decision would have been a lot more difficult.

I believe it was Alexander Pope who said "First comes fodder, then morality". Take the job, get your feet well placed under you, and then worry about right and wrong (human constructs if there ever were any). Moralistic pomposity is great, but so are groceries.