• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religious medal falls off chain

rdliid

Hi. My wife and I have been married for 23 years and started having marital troubles about two years ago. She said I was too fat :) its true - I do need to loose weight. But to the point, I have a St. Christopher Medal (18kt gold) that I have worn our whole marriage. I am also a merchant seaman and travel a lot. I love my wife, am very religious and quite monogamous - despite the habits of other sailors. After our problems started, I went to Diego Garcia (Indian Ocean) for a two month job. While I was overseas, my wife posted on her facebook that she had been to a bar the prior evening and had a great time. I was concerned. It was then that strange things began to happen. I was sitting in my cabin and the St. Christopher fell off its chain onto my lap. The chain was still in place. I was startled. I examined the chain and the medal in detail. The chain had a closed loop that was soldered shut. The solder joint was solid. Looking at the chain itself, there were no possible ways it could have worked loose. I asked some of my friends to look at it and they thought it was really strange. This happened one other time during that two months. After I came home, things improved a bit. No further problems with it falling off for over two years. Until this morning. My wife is traveling in another country. I woke up to find the medal lying on the bed and the chain still around my neck - everything intact. Could this be a sign of infidelity?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When it comes to things like this - interpretations of signs and omens - the ball is always in the court of the diviner. Only you can tell you what it means. What I strongly suggest to people is to consider how their interpretation will change their behavior, if at all, and what your chosen interpretation might say about you. They're hard questions, and sometimes we like to lie to ourselves about the answers. For example:

If I choose to interpret this as a sign of infidelity, will I start treating my wife differently because of it? Is it worth risking my relationship with her because of something that may or may not really mean anything?

If I choose to interpret this as a sign of infidelity, does this mean I feel insecure in my relationship? Am I having a hard time trusting my wife? Am I projecting? Am I just looking for something to confirm how I feel to rationalize it?

Consider alternative interpretations. Maybe it's a sign you're time together should come to a polite end? Maybe it's a sign you should have an open marriage? Maybe it's a sign you need to learn to trust each other again and work together? What is the story you want to tell? What does that say about you? That is what is enlightening about divination via omens: what it tells you about yourself.

Thana

Lady
Quite monogamous?
That sounds a little suss...

However, I don't think it's a sign of infidelity. God may work in mysterious ways, But generally He isn't a magical showoff. He uses people and circumstances to get a message to His children.

If you want to know if your wife is cheating/has cheated, Ask her.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know that I'd recommend that. No matter how diplomatic you try to be about that sort of question, it's a leading question that will inevitably come off as an accusation or demonstrate a lack of trust.

Better approach is to say something like "if there's anything you'd like to talk to me about, I'll listen" and then do so without judging.

Thana

Lady
I don't know that I'd recommend that. No matter how diplomatic you try to be about that sort of question, it's a leading question that will inevitably come off as an accusation or demonstrate a lack of trust.

Better approach is to say something like "if there's anything you'd like to talk to me about, I'll listen" and then do so without judging.

Being vague about it invites miscommunication and misinterpretations, You should just be open and honest.

If you're wondering if your partner is cheating, You're already lacking trust.
Being honest about it is better than lying about it, I've found anyway.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Could this be a sign of infidelity?

It could.
But then, it could also be a sign that she had the perfect opportunity to cheat on you and didn't.
Of course, it could also be a sign of anything else you can imagine.
Not to mention it may well not be a sign at all.

Out of curiosity, who/what do you think is providing this "sign"?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I concur

Being vague about it invites miscommunication and misinterpretations, You should just be open and honest.

If you're wondering if your partner is cheating, You're already lacking trust.
Being honest about it is better than lying about it, I've found anyway.

I agree here as well.

MD

qualiaphile
One word: Keylogger

Lol I kid, but after 23 years of marriage you would know her better than anyone here. Asking her she may or may not tell you.

But here's a question, why is your wife going to bars and travelling to other countries without you?