• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious harassment in my local mall

etherealascension

Secular Buddhist Humanist
It looks like there are a lot of people misreading this thread for some reason.

Two men walk into a mall, faces covered. A security guard approaches them, and they agree to reveal their faces. They walk, faces revealed, to a store. An employee of the store insults them, then asks them to hand over their bags. Since they saw other people in the store with bags, and they were still feeling insulted, they didn't hand the bags over; they allowed him to see their contents, though. In the end, they decided to leave. Later, one of the men wrote a letter complaining that an employee at the store had insulted them.

I hope I didn't get any details wrong. Now, what exactly did he do wrong?

Thank you!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I hope I didn't get any details wrong. Now, what exactly did he do wrong?
The letter in the OP complained about "profiling and harassment". I agree that the harassment (i.e. the insult) was out of line, but I do think that his behaviour as described justified the "profiling" (i.e. singling him out for special but warranted attention).

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
This is like when a skinny, attractive women puts on one of those "fat suits" for the purposes of filming their interactions in public. Then the skinny women recounts her horrible experiences being fat while crying because she now "gets" it. It's fundamentally pretentious and insulting - not to mention attention-seeking.

etherealascension

Secular Buddhist Humanist
This is like when a skinny, attractive women puts on one of those "fat suits" for the purposes of filming their interactions in public. Then the skinny women recounts her horrible experiences being fat while crying because she now "gets" it. It's fundamentally pretentious and insulting - not to mention attention-seeking.

This would be a valid quote.... If I did what I did to screw around and see what it's like to have all this happen to me.

But I wasn't screwing around. I wasn't playing a game. I wasn't pretending.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
The reality is if I put a scarf over my head and face and carried a back back or a satchel and walked into my local mall I would have attention coming my way.

Yes it would be profiling, but it would be fair.

If I wore this face cover and walked into a mall I would be questioned, and it would be fair.

8537tan-thumb.jpg

You have acknowledge in an earlier post your face was covered in the manner of the picture yet you don't seem to understand just why that brought attention your way.

Yes the folks who were rude to you were wrong but you and your friend were wrong to dress in this manner and go into a public place filled with people and not expect attention.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
This would be a valid quote.... If I did what I did to screw around and see what it's like to have all this happen to me.

But I wasn't screwing around. I wasn't playing a game. I wasn't pretending.

You know daily there are muslim men and women who are harassed for dressing islamically and following their religion. They face scrutiny that most of us never have to face in order to follow their beliefs.

People who are sikhs are harassed because they are mistaken for being muslim.

In this day and age and as an adult person surely you understand the ramification of your choice.

If you weren't playing around you certainly were naive or just not thinking.

outhouse

Atheistically
but you and your friend were wrong to dress in this manner and go into a public place filled with people and not expect attention.

exactly.

and there was no harassment, comments would have been givin dressed in such a manner and expected.

this wasnt a tragedy or abuse, boo hoo I got called a name while asking for it because I expect 100% freedom and obviously special treatment.

[not that you did] but If I dressed like a clown and headed down to the mall people are going to make comments

croak

Trickster
The letter in the OP complained about "profiling and harassment". I agree that the harassment (i.e. the insult) was out of line, but I do think that his behaviour as described justified the "profiling" (i.e. singling him out for special but warranted attention).
Even if he was singled out for the bag, if it was a store policy to keep bags at the desk, then I'd complain about the lack of enforcement more than profiling.

As for the security guard at the beginning, the profiling made sense. If a store owner here saw someone with their face covered like that, they'd ask likewise.

At the end of the day, it's about an ignorant, insulting employee -- I think we've all known at least one.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
At the end of the day, it's about an ignorant, insulting employee -- I think we've all known at least one.

This may be the case, but it certainly isn't about addressing the real-life issue of religious expression and discrimination.

croak

Trickster
This may be the case, but it certainly isn't about addressing the real-life issue of religious expression and discrimination.
I think, in this case, the employee was prejudiced and may have acted upon it.

But sure, this isn't one of those clear and egregious trespasses on religious expression. I think those burqa threads focus on that more.

I'm not really sure if I'm making sense at all. I might be wrong, but the OP seemed like more of a vent at the irritating prejudiced people of the world. Maybe a more discussion-worthy topic than a debatable one.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
deserve is a different word then asking for it
So dressing in such way, is "asking for it" or, deserving ridicule and harassment. Sounds just as bad as being harassed for being black, Jew or homosexual. God forbid such happens though, because everyone would be up in arms. But if its as the OP, Arab/muslim type, then its okay. Just "asking for it".

The hypocrisy :rolleyes:

outhouse

Atheistically
So dressing in such way, is "asking for it" or, deserving ridicule and harassment. Sounds just as bad as being harassed for being black, Jew or homosexual. God forbid such happens though, because everyone would be up in arms. But if its as the OP, Arab/muslim type, then its okay. Just "asking for it".

The hypocrisy :rolleyes:

lovely you take my question out of context and shred completely the point im making.

Yes dressing exactly like or simular to the people we are at war with and breaking laws doing so, is "asking for it". it is criminal behaviour!

And in this wonderful country the OP was not harassed or murdered or beaten or tortured like many other countries in the world. All the OP got was a snide ignorant comment and then had to run in here and post about the incident.

If one dresses like a clown [not that the OP was] one would expect to hear comments

Im sorry OP doesnt get to dress how he wants and enjoy perfect freedom but I promise it doesnt get better anywhere else, only worse.

Had OP not had his face covered breaking the law nothing would have happened and his life would be that much more boring without a story of woe to tell :facepalm:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Had OP not had his face covered breaking the law nothing would have happened and his life would be that much more boring without a story of woe to tell :facepalm:
Is it against the law to cover your face in florida? Are you sure? I tried googling it and all I could discover is that it is illegal for an unmarried woman to parachute on a Sunday.

But I am also wondering if you read the same op that I did. The guard asked him to uncover his face, and he did so. When they went into the store their faces were not covered. So what you are saying makes no sense.