• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious fervor or mental illness?

Grandliseur

You didn't hurt anything, it is expected from certain quarters.

The 'who is completely nuts.' And 'raving nuts' were in quotes because it was copied and pasted directly from the post of yours #2. You need to remember what you wrote before loosing it when someone quotes you. You attack others, even in general terms, they will respond in kind.
I'll answer this one. This question was inflammatory. When someone begins to equate religious fervor with mental illness, they get in kind what they ask for.
I saw later that there were parts where this question had validity. In the beginning, it just sounded like another dumping on believers. I don't take that kind of attacks lying down. That there happened to be more to this question that what initially seemed to be visible is another thing.

I thought this kind of questioning should be simply banned from the site, unless modified to show it wasn't an attack on the general believer.

Now, if you get insulted because I was insulted is your business. If I feel that people shoot at me, I'll bloody well shoot back.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
One final note about dyslexia. I am sure I suffer from this too. As you fight the problem, you will find that you start knowing what to watch out for. I have come to know where my problems lie, and to use the spellchecker. I know what I am, what my problems are - and don't mind it.

Only said to be supportive. So, end of this for me.

I have no problems with dyslexia, others do. Spell checkers are fine but are not perfect, particularly with predictive text where a misspelled word is replaced by the wrong word which is spelled correctly.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'll answer this one. This question was inflammatory. When someone begins to equate religious fervor with mental illness, they get in kind what they ask for.
I saw later that there were parts where this question had validity. In the beginning, it just sounded like another dumping on believers. I don't take that kind of attacks lying down. That there happened to be more to this question that what initially seemed to be visible is another thing.

I thought this kind of questioning should be simply banned from the site, unless modified to show it wasn't an attack on the general believer.

Now, if you get insulted because I was insulted is your business. If I feel that people shoot at me, I'll bloody well shoot back.

Nor do i take attacks on reality and non believers lying down. In this case you cast the first stone. I threw them back.

Grandliseur

I have no problems with dyslexia, others do. Spell checkers are fine but are not perfect, particularly with predictive text where a misspelled word is replaced by the wrong word which is spelled correctly.
That is a matter of experience. I still do a bit of proofreading and find this to be a problem most writers cannot completely avoid. I myself make the mistake of writing a sentence, going back correcting it and leaving an extra word in the sentence, correctly spelled, but superfluous in the sentence. Everybody makes mistakes.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Obviously we have a disagreement. I thought the post was an attack on believers. :)
Time to put this to bed. ;)

Nope your post #2 was an attack on science, cosmology, quantum physics, basically everything that contradicts a bronze age story. There can be no disagreement there.

siti

If you looked at the volume of posts, of exchanges, I have had with others on this thread, you would see that it has become quite threadbare. Some interesting exchanges were accomplished on the topic.

Nonetheless, it is a shame that many atheists cannot avoid stooping to insults to elevate themselves in their own minds and avoiding getting into the gutter. Frankly, this approach is fairly reminiscent of a kind of insanity, of the mentally ill, this post is talking about. Too bad it infects so many. It is one reason why debates between the two groups is less than desirable.
For crying out loud man! You took my perfectly sensible OP as a personal insult and you've been trying to get back at me with snipes about 'atheists' and 'exploding singularities'...since post #2. I am not an atheist and I don't believe in the actual existence of 'singularities' - let alone exploding ones.

I'm the one who should be hurt - you fervently set out to derail my thread from the outset...but I'm not - I'm just noting it all down as evidence in my investigation of the links between mental health and the irrationality of religious fervor. Very interesting.

Now does anyone have anything on the actual topic - or should we close it down?