• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious debate: Something different I haven't tried

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've debated a lot about Christianity and religion in general with multiple people. Some heated and some now. I want to actually debate with someone who identifies as Christian. Someone who believes Jesus as his/her Lord and Savior, knowing their faith is a fact, and knowing and following Christ and not just his morals.

I am a Buddhist; so, I will debate from what I practice and know is true. I will also talk about my relationship with the spirits and how I know they are a part of my spiritual practice even though I don't have a name for it.

These debate questions are not new. However, I'd like to look more deeply into this. I also want to use scripture and sutras. I want the debater to have interest in what I say and the "scriptures" I use just as I will his. I also want the debater to be willing to learn from my perspective as I his/hers even if we disagree.​

The questions:

1. I know you know your religion or faith is true or a fact. I know mine is a fact as well. What, why, and how is your faith a fact compared and contrast to reality and what we both know of it?

2. Compare or contrast why and how your faith is true compared to my own. If you don't know about Buddhism, please ask. Consider what we consider reality and see if we can draw conclusions as to which religion in general best describes reality even if the other disagrees.

3. How does your scripture define truth? (not to you but in general) Can you use scripture (quote and commentary) to relate scripture to reality so that I can understand it more than theology but as a actual spiritual path even though I disagree with it? Are you willing to stick out through the debate and share how scripture is truth in and of itself?

4. Are you willing to stick with the debate? Please, no drop off conversations. No ignoring. It takes me awhile to "get things." We may have circular debates until one of us gets it. We may need to explain things that are elementary to us but not the other. Please be patient.

The first person who replies this message is who I will debate with. Christians only.

Ready. Set. GO!​

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would say so. But the potential interlocutors may have a hard time realizing that there is a vacancy in this thread.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sorry, I didn't get the alert. Interlocutors?
Excuse my tendency to guess what could pass for an English word.

What I mean is that the natural tendency is for people to assume that threads in the One-on-One Debates area already have the participants settled, and therefore suitable potential participants may overlook this opportunity.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I want to actually debate with someone who identifies as Christian. Someone who believes Jesus as his/her Lord and Savior, knowing their faith is a fact, and knowing and following Christ and not just his morals.
I identify as a syncretist (follower of more than one religion). However, with the parameters you set, I would be a Christian. If I had to identify with just one religion, it would be Christian. I realize this post is old, and I identify the Buddhist as well. However, with the questions you have put forth, I believe we can have an enlightening debate with each other? First, do you still identify as a Buddhist?
1. I know you know your religion or faith is true or a fact. I know mine is a fact as well. What, why, and how is your faith a fact compared and contrast to reality and what we both know of it?
I’m a Christian, so I believe the Bible to be fact. However, I’m a Buddhist as well. I identify as such because 1.) When I read the Dhammapada, the words of Buddha, I found myself in agreement. Furthermore, I found my Bible in agreement. 2) I regular practice meditations from the Tibetan Book of the Dead, so in that way I am a practitioner. Side not, that book in particular describes Buddha/God as indivisible three bodies, which I perceive as the trinity.
I believe that Buddhism and Christianity teach of the same God. The core principle that is the foundation for the both of them is that God is Love/positive energy.
I counter your question with a question. Is it not possible for both a Buddhist and a Christian to be correct when it comes to their views on reality. Is truth able to be monopolized by a single belief system?
2. Compare or contrast why and how your faith is true compared to my own. If you don't know about Buddhism, please ask. Consider what we consider reality and see if we can draw conclusions as to which religion in general best describes reality even if the other disagrees.
I ask what you perceive as disagreements between these two beliefs. These points I’d like to debate.
3. How does your scripture define truth? (not to you but in general) Can you use scripture (quote and commentary) to relate scripture to reality so that I can understand it more than theology but as a actual spiritual path even though I disagree with it?
I’ll come back to you with a satisfactory answer for this one sometime this week probably.
4. Are you willing to stick with the debate? Please, no drop off conversations. No ignoring. It takes me awhile to "get things." We may have circular debates until one of us gets it. We may need to explain things that are elementary to us but not the other. Please be patient.
I would love to stick with this debate thread. I may take some time responding sometimes, been finding myself spending too much on this site! I will always respond though, sooner or later.
I realized I changed the nature of the debate slightly, hope that’s ok :)

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I identify as a syncretist (follower of more than one religion).
I believe in more than one religion, but not as a syncretist. I see them all through the lens of Baha'u'llah's revelation, which is an independent revelation. When I see them through that lens, it makes the others more clear to me. They are all aspects of one religion. I believe in progressive revelation, where the next Manifestation build on the previous ones, at least on the Abrahamic ones. The Eastern religions have quite a different point of view because of the different culture they spring down. Yet, even there there are marked similarities to the Baha'i revelation. Hinduism is a peculiar religion because it was not founded by Krishna, but has other sources as well. Krishna is so far in the past I don't know what to make of the Bhagavad Gita. It seems to be of God, but it seems to be set in fictional account of a conflict between people who are related to each other. How much of Krishna is actually there? Buddhism was founded by someone termed the Buddha. We believe in Krishna and the Buddha. The Dhammapada is definitely a good one. There are other other texts that are sometimes hard to understand. The four Noble truths and the eightfold path makes sense.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I don't think the term buddhism would reflect how you view christianity, trinity, and buddhism. But you can read more of the Buddha's Dharma both the Pali Suttras and commentaries on accesstoinsight.org

They overlap in things like compassion, loving others, things like that. Their theology is totally oppose to each other.

If buddhist refuse to leave the boat that would mean they are not practicing The Buddha's Teachings?
We can continue this discussion here? That was my original intention when I responded to this thread earlier :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We can continue this discussion here? That was my original intention when I responded to this thread earlier :)

Actually, we can't. I didn't see the comparative religion. But in general, though, they share things like compassion, love, and helping others. Salvation, sin, heaven, and future/present state they differ.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Actually, we can't. I didn't see the comparative religion. But in general, though, they share things like compassion, love, and helping others. Salvation, sin, heaven, and future/present state they differ.
I’ve only read the Dhammapada and the Tibetan Book of the Dead, when it comes to Buddhist texts, so let me read some texts from that link you sent so I’m more informed on Buddhism! And then I’ll pick up the debate here :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I identify as a syncretist (follower of more than one religion). However, with the parameters you set, I would be a Christian. If I had to identify with just one religion, it would be Christian. I realize this post is old, and I identify the Buddhist as well. However, with the questions you have put forth, I believe we can have an enlightening debate with each other? First, do you still identify as a Buddhist?

I’m a Christian, so I believe the Bible to be fact. However, I’m a Buddhist as well. I identify as such because 1.) When I read the Dhammapada, the words of Buddha, I found myself in agreement. Furthermore, I found my Bible in agreement. 2) I regular practice meditations from the Tibetan Book of the Dead, so in that way I am a practitioner. Side not, that book in particular describes Buddha/God as indivisible three bodies, which I perceive as the trinity.
I believe that Buddhism and Christianity teach of the same God. The core principle that is the foundation for the both of them is that God is Love/positive energy.
I counter your question with a question. Is it not possible for both a Buddhist and a Christian to be correct when it comes to their views on reality. Is truth able to be monopolized by a single belief system?

I ask what you perceive as disagreements between these two beliefs. These points I’d like to debate.

I’ll come back to you with a satisfactory answer for this one sometime this week probably.

I would love to stick with this debate thread. I may take some time responding sometimes, been finding myself spending too much on this site! I will always respond though, sooner or later.
I realized I changed the nature of the debate slightly, hope that’s ok :)

Synchronist makes more sense. Christianity, I wouldn't say so honestly. Though christians do have a wide range of scripture interpretations.