• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious confusion

Is what I'm doing wrong?

• No, I agree with you. Go for it!

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Yes, you're so wrong. Listen to your friends and family.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both sides have vaild points, though I'm not sure.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have noooo idea what-so-ever.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

SRDarling

Hello everyone. I'm new here, just to put it out there. =] I have some questions that I've tried to talk to many people who are close to me about, and the answers I received did nothing but confuse me. So, here I am. Before I ask my questions, I'm going to give a short background of why I am confused.

Alrighty, so, most of my family is Christian, however, my parents are Athiests. My dad absolutely does not believe in God or anything paranormal. He thinks that religion is stupid, and, though has religious friends, thinks that his intelligence, (and Athiesim), is superiour to them and their beliefs.He won't even listen what anyone has to say on religion. Although I may not agree with everything everyone says, I still listen and tolerate. He believes that no religion is good that that nothing good could ever come from religion. My mom is less ridged than my father, though isn't quite 'fond' of religions. I mentioned the rest of my family is Christian, or Agnostic, but raised Baptist or Roman Catholic.

Okay, and then there's me. I have read up, (per se), on Judaism. I have read books, found websites, done everything imaginable short of sneaking out and going to a synagogue. I believe that much good can come from religion and that if a religion helps a person somehow, then it's served a purpose. And also, that one should study the religion that makes sense to them. If one is to read something and it sparks something in their mind, then that is the religion for them, (per se, again). This is what happened with Judaism. Almost everything that is believed makes perfect sense to me.

Now, when I had studied a little on this and reported my thoughts to friends and family, I was taunted by my friends, (and still am), taunted my some family, and shunned by my father. Some told me that it's stupid and I shouldn't waste my time. Others said that even if I ever planned on converting, I would never be accepted as Jewish by other Jews; essentially, that I would never actually fit in. According to my family's geneology, I may be, (I say may be because our geneology isn't quite complete yet), at the least a quarter Jewish. That's not fan-flippin'-tastic, but it's not completely nothingness either, (I mean, that has to count for something, right?). ;) In any case, what I'm trying to say is, if perchance I did convert, would I be accepted? Does it offend anyone when someone converts to a religion, especially like Judaism since it's a religion, but also entitles a race? Is it a stupid notion that I have about converting and studying?

I may come up with other questions later, but this is all I have for right now. I'm really sorry, this is several years of internal turmoil spilling out, and some anger towards my intolerant parents. I appriciate any answers I can get, and I thank you all very, very, VERY much for reading this and giving me your two-cents. I also apologize for any spelling errors- my alphabet ends at G, if you get my drift. =] Thanks again, so much! -SRDarling

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend SRD,
Firstly welcome to RF.
Personally what is most important is to understand what RELIGION is?
Religion is nothing but a PATH or WAY to merge with that entity one calls god.
Though born in a sanatan dharma family am not a follower of it in the strict sense and still what I do personally itself becomes a Path/ way/ religion.
So, each one's journey can be unique.
Converting or not, makes no difference as to follow a path one need not carry out rituals which are just physical; in reality one has to follow the path in mind and spirit.
However, wish you all the best.
Love & rgds

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
..., what I'm trying to say is, if perchance I did convert, would I be accepted? Does it offend anyone when someone converts to a religion, especially like Judaism since it's a religion, but also entitles a race? Is it a stupid notion that I have about converting and studying?
While the demands of conversion differ significantly depending on which stream of Judaism one joins, converts are fully embraced. Furthermore, your point on race is well taken. Conversion to Judaism is more than the acceptance of a theological lens. It is a allegiance to a covenant.

Now for the 'bad' news. Should you convert to Reform or, even, Conservative Judaism, that conversion will not be accepted as valid by the Orthodox community. Hopefully that will change.

L'shalom ...

no_spoon

It always amazes me that people get bent out of shape about things that should be personal matters of choice (e.g., religion). Conversely, I *do* get bent out of shape by people who drive like jerks or in an unsafe manner, because I don't believe that's a personal matter of choice, but rather someone slinging around a few tons of metal relatively close to me. But if I say something to them they tell me to mind my own business (or worse). See where I'm going with this? People in general worry about things they shouldn't and don't worry about things they should.

OK, next point. It has been my (somewhat limited) experience that converts to religions are more serious and faithful in their practice than those born into their religions. I have seen that in people who have converted to the religion I was born into, and those who have left my religion for others, etc.

As for the Jewish religion specifically, keep in mind that there are different kinds of Judaism (if I am not mistaken) and some might be more accepting, or it might be easier for you to fit into, than others. I am not an expert in this area though. It's just the impression I've gotten from my Jewish friends.

Finally I would say that it is important to come into contact with your true self. We all must present a mask to the world (to some extent) but on something like religion I think it's important that you not compromise. I would add that many intelligent and thoughtful people have been many religions (and non-religions) throughout history. I (at least) think it is insulting to think that these famous people were really sharp and wise in every area except their choice of religion (or non-religion). You say you have already read many books and web sites, and that is wonderful. I am just saying you might want to make sure you read some biographies of people who were Jewish or who converted to Judaism. Just a thought.

My very best wishes go out to you!

DavyCrocket2003

Finally I would say that it is important to come into contact with your true self. We all must present a mask to the world (to some extent) [FONT=""]but on something like religion I think it's important that you not compromise.[/FONT]
My very best wishes go out to you!
I think this is important.

Make sure that whatever you do, you do what you think is right. I hesitate to say, "religion is the most important thing in life." It's closer to "what religion is attempts to achieve is the most important thing in life."

This may sound cheesy, but I'm serious. Look into your heart. Do you hear a voice? Maybe a faint guiding light? What does your heart tell you to do? There is a path for you to follow. You aren't just here by chance. None of us are. I can't tell you what your path is, I can only tell you that you have one. Only you can discover what it is.

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
...Others said that even if I ever planned on converting, I would never be accepted as Jewish by other Jews; essentially, that I would never actually fit in. According to my family's genealogy, I may be, (I say may be because our genealogy isn't quite complete yet), at the least a quarter Jewish. That's not fan-flippin'-tastic, but it's not completely nothingness either, (I mean, that has to count for something, right?)...

How do they know this? Why do they say this? Just to discourage you. It's just not true. Most converts I have met were very much accepted and actually knew a lot more about Judaism than most born Jews, in their chosen branch. People actually ask the Ger about religious things, as they know the Ger probably knows.. and they DO!

You will see some resistance true, but this is 90% due to disputes between the various branches, nothing to actually do with the Ger. Yes, Orthodox Jews will have a problem with Reform conversions etc. etc. Thing to keep in mind is that this is all political bickering. Your future fellow Jews within whatever branch you choose will treat you just fine.

Don't worry about Jewish genealogy, even if it's 0% that is not the issue. The reason WHY you want to convert holds much more weight. If you convert for reasons that are not spiritual, say to wed a Jew, that's OK to some Jews but some will doubt motives and commitment. This does not sound like your case, which is the result of spiritual seeking. Yours is the highest reason, nothing to be afraid of.

SRDarling

Oh thank you all so much! This all really helps. I'll heed all of your advice. You've made this all so much clearer. =]

I've read about the diffrent divisions, and, (I need to read up on them again, lol), but I certainly was not looking into the more strict, orthodox divisions.

Thanks for responding and taking your time. Like I said,this cleared up a little over two years of total confusion for me. Hopefully I'll get to chat with you all again on here sometime. Thanks again, (I keep saying thanks, but it seems like I could never express the gratitude I have for this). -SRDarling <3

Jordan St. Francis

There was a time when I thought I was going down the path of conversion to Judaism because of an interest in its mystical aspects (i.e. the Kabbalah). For me, my realization was that if a Gentile wants to be a good Jew he ought to be a Christian.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, I encourage it! The Rabbinic tradition is so rich and unique. If you feel compelled by conscience to convert, then you must (IMO).

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
The most important part of "religion" is following your heart. If you feel your heart belongs in Judaism then go for it. I do not see any reason why the Jews would reject you. And despite your families strong anti-religious beliefs, I feel they would ultimately still love you regardless.

bluZero

Hello everyone. I'm new here, just to put it out there. =] I have some questions that I've tried to talk to many people who are close to me about, and the answers I received did nothing but confuse me. So, here I am. Before I ask my questions, I'm going to give a short background of why I am confused.

Alrighty, so, most of my family is Christian, however, my parents are Athiests. My dad absolutely does not believe in God or anything paranormal. He thinks that religion is stupid, and, though has religious friends, thinks that his intelligence, (and Athiesim), is superiour to them and their beliefs.He won't even listen what anyone has to say on religion. Although I may not agree with everything everyone says, I still listen and tolerate. He believes that no religion is good that that nothing good could ever come from religion. My mom is less ridged than my father, though isn't quite 'fond' of religions. I mentioned the rest of my family is Christian, or Agnostic, but raised Baptist or Roman Catholic.

Okay, and then there's me. I have read up, (per se), on Judaism. I have read books, found websites, done everything imaginable short of sneaking out and going to a synagogue. I believe that much good can come from religion and that if a religion helps a person somehow, then it's served a purpose. And also, that one should study the religion that makes sense to them. If one is to read something and it sparks something in their mind, then that is the religion for them, (per se, again). This is what happened with Judaism. Almost everything that is believed makes perfect sense to me.

Now, when I had studied a little on this and reported my thoughts to friends and family, I was taunted by my friends, (and still am), taunted my some family, and shunned by my father. Some told me that it's stupid and I shouldn't waste my time. Others said that even if I ever planned on converting, I would never be accepted as Jewish by other Jews; essentially, that I would never actually fit in. According to my family's geneology, I may be, (I say may be because our geneology isn't quite complete yet), at the least a quarter Jewish. That's not fan-flippin'-tastic, but it's not completely nothingness either, (I mean, that has to count for something, right?). ;) In any case, what I'm trying to say is, if perchance I did convert, would I be accepted? Does it offend anyone when someone converts to a religion, especially like Judaism since it's a religion, but also entitles a race? Is it a stupid notion that I have about converting and studying?

I may come up with other questions later, but this is all I have for right now. I'm really sorry, this is several years of internal turmoil spilling out, and some anger towards my intolerant parents. I appriciate any answers I can get, and I thank you all very, very, VERY much for reading this and giving me your two-cents. I also apologize for any spelling errors- my alphabet ends at G, if you get my drift. =] Thanks again, so much! -SRDarling

it could be that Good is drawing you to Him. (Jn 6:44) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
I do not know where you lie, but if you go to familyradio.com there is plenty of free books you can get just for the asking, or you can download any of them to you word program. They have an Open forum program in the evenings from 7:30 -9 pm but depending where you live, the timing is different. You can listen on the net or even the radio of which if you searach you can fine what radio station is in your area. I bet you have lots of info.
but just check it out to see if the shoe fits. It is not a church based, it is non-denominational, that is, it is bible only belief.

SRDarling

Thanks again to all of you who have responded! Your help is so well appriciated! You are all wonderful people. Love and regards!

theonetemplar

It looks as if God has shown you Judaism for a reason. Listen to your heart... it'll tell you whats right.

As far as religion is concerned, you have to do what YOU feel is right, not what anyone tells you; you have to decide for yourself. If you feel that Judaism is what you want, then no one should tell you differently.

-God Bless
Templar