• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Belief and Scientific Proof

Thief

Rogue Theologian
hey Thief,
They don't make an eraser that size,
even your `God`, can't lift that one !
and there are no petri dishes large enough for the experiment
to prove God

but we do have the universe over head

and you think?......it just happened

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Scientific experiments don't "prove" anything. They simply validate whether or not a theory functions within a very specific set of physical parameters. Every scientist understands this. You, apparently, do not.
If Galileo throws different weighted objects off the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and they arrive on the ground at the same time, it proves that heavier objects don't fall faster.

Sorry dude, you are mistaken.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
is it hypocritical and ironic to expect scientific proof while holding a belief in something unproveable?
Depends what the "something unprovable" is.

That being said, being inconsistently pro-science is probably better than being consistently anti-science.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
is it hypocritical and ironic to expect scientific proof while holding a belief in something unproveable?
It is if they can't or won't admit that if science cannot apply, then that belief will be unfounded with no substance whatsoever past it's conceptual and ideological stage.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
If Galileo throws different weighted objects off the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and they arrive on the ground at the same time, it proves that heavier objects don't fall faster.

That's actually a falsification (disproof) of the hypothesis that all heaver objects fall faster than lighter ones. It cannot prove (say) the hypothesis that all objects fall at the same rate.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I believe religion is scientific because it encompasses all the universe and all existence. and all existence is created or established under scientific laws. there is no element or atom of existence that does not exist under a specific scientific law. from agriculture to astronomy from plants and vegetables and fruits to stars and everything functions on a specific scientific law.

religion speaks about how these laws came into existence and says that without an intelligence much higher than these existences they could not have come about.

So to me religion speaks about science, the source of all truths and the source of all intelligence and science. We can admire the beauty of a flower but when put ituit a scientific microscope so many wonders and mysteries can be revealed that it's impossible that I aia higher Being was not involved in the construction if you'd like to call it that of the flower.

Religion is about that All Knowing Being and it's communication with man and His wide advice to humanity

religion tries to explain how existence came into existence but why it's here and what it's ultimate purpose is and what we are all about and what purpose is our lives. is our lives just to eat sleep and be married or is there some other higher purpose?

Baroodi

We have an amazing universe, who created it and who maintain it in harmony. I say God. If you say no, tell me who with your evidence

ratiocinator

We have an amazing universe, who created it and who maintain it in harmony. I say God. If you say no, tell me who with your evidence

Why do you think there must be a 'who'? Why does this amazing 'who' or 'God' just happen to exist and why is it any less strange, unexplained, and amazing, than the universe just happening to exist?

I have no idea why things exist and are the way they are, rather than some other way or nothing existing at all. If you are proposing an answer, then where is your evidence or reasoning?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That's actually a falsification (disproof) of the hypothesis that all heaver objects fall faster than lighter ones. It cannot prove (say) the hypothesis that all objects fall at the same rate.
I didn't say that all objects fall at the same rate. I said that it proved weight was not a factor in how fast an object falls.

ratiocinator

I didn't say that all objects fall at the same rate. I said that it proved weight was not a factor in how fast an object falls.

Except it doesn't prove that hypothesis at all. It only it only provides one data point. So on that specific occasion, with those specific objects, that had those specific weights, they fell at the same rate, to the limit of the accuracy of the test.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Without a way to validate what we accept as true, there are no corrections for what we believe. The boundaries of religious belief are accepted on faith with no way to test the truth of those boundaries. You could be wrong without the means of knowing that you are wrong.

I can believe otherwise. I can believe that want God wants from us is different than what you believe God wants from us with no means to validate who is correct. Your claims about God, my claims about God, my neighbor Joe's claims about God have equal validity, which is none beyond the fact that it's been claimed really.

So to me, what is the point of making claims about God which can't be tested for accuracy?
Yes, for me, personally, I believe in what proves out by repeated tests.

I came to believe slowly.

It was in large part because I tested, repeatedly, under diverse conditions, and against other alternative ideas/ways, the very specific instructions (about 10) that Christ gave I could find a way to test, to compare to other ways to live. It took me about 12 years or more to actually come to full faith. And it was a combination of realizing each thing Jesus of Nazareth said proves out better than other ways, in real life, in challenging tests, and also a leap of faith, finally, to seek God, in the way Jesus said to people to try.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
First you need to show that there is in fact a "who".

Interesting how so many people skip that step.

The Anointed

it was once believed that the sun was created before the planets of our solar system, even though the scriptures reveal that the planets were created first.

Science is now proving that the scriptures were correct.