• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Belief and Scientific Proof

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Not necessarily, because religion can neither be proven nor disproven as it is, yet some things, like whether an ice cube is melted by the body temperature of an ox, can in theory be tested.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
is it hypocritical and ironic to expect scientific proof while holding a belief in something unproveable?
No. The realm of science is what is measurable and expressible in equations and experiment.

The realm of the Divine cannot be measured or expressed as equations.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
is it hypocritical and ironic to expect scientific proof while holding a belief in something unproveable?

I think I prefer "scientific validation" over scientific proof. Science provides knowledge that is reliable, not necessarily perfect. Proof makes it feel a bit absolute.

Science establishes standards for knowledge. Belief has no necessary standards for knowledge.

So I don't see it as hypocritical as long as one is aware science requires standards, belief doesn't.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

No I don't think so. There are things in Science that aren't necessarily proven either, but we assume, because the models and mathematics seems to indicate the possibility. Kinda like how we "know" there is Dark matter.

Both Science and Religion require faith to some degree.

epronovost

dark energy
dark matter

no proof

Dark matter and energy aren't scientific fact either. They are hypothesis to explain a gravitational anomaly in the speed of rotation of galaxies. Some experiment to try to detect this matter/energy and thus make them something known, have been tried and some have came up with fragmentary results.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think science is a good tool for humans to understand this physical realm better, but in my mind i can not see science will get physical proof from the spiritual real, i do think
the spiritual realm can only be experienced though practicing a spiritual teaching. Because we do not ser the spiritual realm with our physical eyes, only with the wisdom eye. That is how i understand it :)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Not necessarily, because religion can neither be proven nor disproven as it is, yet some things, like whether an ice cube is melted by the body temperature of an ox, can in theory be tested.

beliefs can be tested against reality; if questioned
No I don't think so. There are things in Science that aren't necessarily proven either, but we assume, because the models and mathematics seems to indicate the possibility. Kinda like how we "know" there is Dark matter.

Both Science and Religion require faith to some degree.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think science is a good tool for humans to understand this physical realm better, but in my mind i can not see science will get physical proof from the spiritual real, i do think
the spiritual realm can only be experienced though practicing a spiritual teaching. Because we do not ser the spiritual realm with our physical eyes, only with the wisdom eye. That is how i understand it :)
materialistically science is the go to? spiritually we know a mind exists, we just can't prove some things about it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Science is the ultimate query into the existence of `NOW`
Religion is the ultimate query into our own imaginations.

Imagination is good, can be beneficial, but shouldn't be confused with reality. Even in science, we shouldn't confuse something we imagined to be true with reality.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am far from an expert on science or mathematics but I do not think either of them will be able to "prove" religious/spiritual belief or wisdom. But can science get closer to the answer then they are today? probably yes

epronovost

materialistically science is the go to? spiritually we know a mind exists, we just can't prove some things about it?

There are at least two sciences studying the mind: neurology and psychology. If we know it exists, we can devise ways to study it and test it.

PureX

Veteran Member
Science does not provide 'proof' of anything. It can only provide limited, relative, functional validation (or invalidation) for a proposed theory. So expecting science to 'prove' anything would be irrational.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

A better question would be: is it smart to believe something unsupportable?
Another better question would be: is it reasonable to expect others to believe your claim, when your claim is unsupportable and thus undemonstrable?

I'ld say that demanding evidence for claims (proveable or not), is a good way to note if it's reasonable to believe said claim.

Also: "unproveable" in this case is just another way of saying "unfalsifiable". And unfalsifiable claims are literally infinite in number and utterly useless. Why would you ever believe an unfalsifiable claim? It literally means that you can't distinguish if it's true or false.

As the saying goes: the undetectable and the non-existant, look very much alike.