• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Atheists

PureX

Veteran Member
I think a lot of the comments above share the same source issue. And that is the assumption that we are supposed to somehow either 'know' if and what "God" is, or we're supposed pick some religious concept of God and just "believe in it" on the blind. And a lot of people find both of these options to be difficult to near impossible. And rightly so, if you ask me.

For myself, all this consternation ends when I realized that I was never intended to know if God exists, or what that means even if God does exist. If I were supposed to know, I would. And I don't so I'm not. It's that simple. I can be a theist or an atheist or just undecided anytime I want for any reason I want, because they are ALL EQUALLY POSSIBLE, TO ME. And if God exists, and has some problem with this, then God should have made itself known to us. But that isn't happening. So I have to assume that I (we) are not intended to know the truth of this 'God' business. And I'm fine with that, because it frees me up to think whatever I want to think about it, for whatever reason I want to think it.

And honestly, I find this to be a very interesting position to be in. It's true that I don't get to be right, but then I don't have to be wrong, either. I can "have God" in my life whenever and however I want, or not. And there's no worries either way.

Last edited:

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
How exactly do you see it as disrespectful? Most temples have no problems with anybody from any faith dropping in, so long as they're not disrespectful with some action. Even then, if we know you're new to it, we're very forgiving. Many temples also have volunteer hosts who will take you around, explain some etiquette, some Hinduism, and answer questions. I'm one here, and also when I'm on pilgrimage to my sampradaya's main temple.

Here at my regular temple, we have the most challenges with etiquette from Hindus from another region of India where the practices are different than in the South Indian Sri Lankan style. People stick to what they're familiar with, and after many years of experience, we can tell who to watch for protocol nuances.

Thank you for sharing your insights!

I guess I would be worried about coming across as a looky loo

Just to add ... I think that is a picture of the Lemont temple. Is that the right guess?

That's the Hindu temple and cultural center in Bothell. It's a beautiful place for sure!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you for sharing your insights!

I guess I would be worried about coming across as a looky loo

That's the Hindu temple and cultural center in Bothell. It's a beautiful place for sure!

Well, I guess next time I'm in Vancouver, I'll have to go have a look. Thanks.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I'm not sure if I'm the right person to comment here, since I don't have a set in stone path, but here is my experience.

I am currently quite lost, and I switch between atheism and spirituality almost on a daily basis, causing a fever dream haze of confusion.

I am isolated, having been shunned from my family religion, and I don't do well in the company of skeptics and atheists due to sometimes coming across as apologetic towards religion.

I grew up in a Christian cult, which ingrained the belief that information from outside the cult was the work of demons or worldly people, so I treated scientific, logical and opposing religious topics in this light well into my thirties. Finally I discovered things in the cult's own books that gave me such severe doubts that I could not stay even with the threat of shunning and being 'dead' to my family.

I spent many years immersed in trying to find my own 'truth', still centered on the bible. Slowly but surely my faith eroded away and I could no longer ignore the fact that (imo) much of christian religion is based on hearsay. I felt that god did not reveal himself to people personally and that they were told about him or read about him, and filled the gaps and did most of the work for him to exist themselves. And that if he did speak to anyone the experience was too subjective to be meaningful to anyone else. I felt like the more detailed and defined a religion was, the less interest I had in it, considering the hearsay origins.

At one point I just felt I could not believe in god without evidence, so I gave up. I thought that if god wanted to concern himself with me he needed to reveal himself to me without human interference, since I feared to imagine all the agendas and power struggles that made up the pool of hearsay. I could live with a personal subjective god. So the less I read religious things, and the less I spoke with religious people, the more silent god became. One could say I became atheist at that point, but I say that knowing the definition of atheist may not properly apply.

Anyway, that is where I am now. I need proof. I would gladly submit to a god, but not one conjured by the mouth's of people.

But here is the problem. I was raised with certain answers to life's questions and fears, that religion provides, the truth of which is debatable, but they were still answers my faith assured me of. An answer to the fear of death and not existing. The fear of an unpredictable world around me. I grew up not fearing these things for god promises eternal life, and that he is in control of reality and nature and cares about me, so I need not fear the world. Now I stand alone, and these are things I need to make peace with in a world without god. I need to grow up essentially even though I'm in my forties.

Some of the best things about faith for me was hope and meaning, which it supplied. I lost all that. I am struggling to adjust to the short term meanings or possible meaninglessness of our lives, and I don't even know what to say about hope to be honest. How does non religious hope look? Someone may laugh at this, but I'm expressing my own feelings.

So even though I hate lies and now need proof, I miss not being alone. Sometimes coincidences or dreams send me back down a rabbit hole, sending me to my knees praying again...sigh.
I understand much of what you've been dealing with. Fortunately I have not been shunned by family and only a touch by community. And I far over that as I've built a new community that accepts the genuine me -- they take me as I am.

I also have grown to understand that God, without definite definition, takes us as we are. I accepted that in this world of religious divisions I fit no where except "Christian Heretic." I've learned to appreciate my position as it has brought me what I was seeking.

I began to explore other theologies, life practices, early Christian sects, and all kinds of philosophy and did so by "taking what was useful and respectfully leaving the rest behind." Discussion such as found here on RF has helped me fine-tune my personal beliefs as I've been led to new thoughts, ideas, and resources.

I now refer to myself as an Omnist: no religion is truth, but truth is found in all. Here and there is the attempt to put boundaries on "Omnism", but I don't believe we have to let it happen. Even with these new "tenents" we can take what feels right and respectfully reject the rest.

My faith in God has grown as I've shaken off the shackles. Now I'm completely comfortable mixing my Christian background with Buddhism, Judaism, Confucianism, Taoism, etc, etc, etc, but I've never been able to take a stroll through the woods, a walk on the beach, or sit on my porch and whistle with birds and consider being an atheist. There's definitely "Something" that I chose to call God.
Namaste & may peace be upon you.

Spice

I have a very deeply entrenched religious background, and for the past few years I've settled pretty deeply into agnostic atheism. With that, my worldview has settled pretty deeply into a materialistic and naturalistic world view. Speaking for myself, I've left religion behind me for the most part. It's been a happy way for me to live

All that said, I do miss the pagan path. I feel drawn to go back and pick up a lot of my old practices, but given my current world view I have to ask myself how relevant it is to me and my way of life, currently. To what ends?

So I have a few questions for those who walk a spiritual or religious path while also holding an atheist world view:

Does the supernatural play a part in your particular beliefs?

What role does your spirituality or your religion hold in your life?

What keeps you on your path?

Is your walk solitary or have you found other like minded people outside of RF to practice or discuss your practice with?

That's all I have for now, but if you'd like to leave extra commentary or delve into your thoughts a little more, please do!
I'm in a very rural area of the US Southern biblebelt, so no, there's no like-minded people. And that's fine. I have some very good friends that just take me as I am, and sometimes with genuine interest in my oddities. LOL Of course, they all have traveled in their younger lives and returned "home" in retirement and that has been a tremendous foundation to our individual world views. I truly feel that as the world becomes more global, the institutionalized religions will continue to decline, and hopefully bring more understanding and peace to the world.

Spice

You know, that's actually something I've considered! It'd definitely help keep my brain fired up. The idea I have for a fantasy setting is definitely unique, but it'd take time for me to build up the skills needed to do it justice and I do have other immediate goals in my life that I'm working on ATM. Maybe when I get older!
LOL That's what I said about 30 years ago. At least get a journal going with bits and pieces of daily thought. NOT a diary! A journal of personal "gibberish". ;)

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
LOL That's what I said about 30 years ago. At least get a journal going with bits and pieces of daily thought. NOT a diary! A journal of personal "gibberish". ;)

That's a good thought. Thanks for the advice

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Intellect is a carefully placed faculty needing memory, selfhood, the ability to know, reason and understand. Intellect itself is goal directed for making use of what is in the environment, and for doing meaningful work, and exploration.

How that came to be is one thing. Purely physical explanation doesn't answer why it is there in the first place, and leaves open the door for metaphysical explanations on top of physical processes.
That would have to be proven, but I'm quite sure there's still a lot we don't know yet that hasn't been discovered.

Niatero

*banned*
For myself, all this consternation ends when I realized that I was never intended to know if God exists, or what that means even if God does exist.

That's close to where I am, although I didn't arrive here the same way. I can't think of what it could possibly mean to say that an unknowable creator of the universe exists or does not exist. It can only ever be metaphorical for me, thinking of myself and the world around me as being created by someone.