1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions with no Hell?

Discussion in 'Seekers Circle' started by willy1590, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Me Myself

Me Myself Back to my username

Ratings:
    +961
    The way I see the hell realms, they are spiritual places where you are put according to your karma in order to learn our lessons ithe case that they must be learned at least partially in the spiritual realm.

2. Kalidas

Kalidas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +225
    I guess Hell is "possible" I just don't personally adhere to it. Ah tis the wonderment of Hinduism were both a Hindu and yet believe different things (kind of)

3. Maya3

Maya3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    I think hell is myth. I don't believe it at all. Honestly it's just silly.

Maya

4. Adramelek

Adramelek Setian
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,821
    Religion:
    Covenant of Set ☥⛧☥ Order of the Serpent
    To me both heaven and hell are only myths created by mankind.

5. Shia Islam

Shia Islam Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +452
    Religion:
    Shia Islam
    Imagine a country with no prisons, and no punishment, whatsoever, for the criminals....It would be heaven for the serial killers and a hell for all innocent people...

6. Shivoham

Shivoham Bhagavan

Ratings:
    +44
    The difference here is that, hell is not a place a person goes to based on their actions; it's all based on what their beliefs were. And this is my problem with such a concept.

Reincarnation and karma works fine in place of this, because it allows for the person to try again, while at the same time, depending on what they did, take a walk in the shoes of the sentient being they may have hurt.

It's a way to learn a lesson, and it's a second, third, fouth, fifth, and so forth, chance to find God. Someday, I believe, everyone will.

Namaskar

7. illykitty

illykitty RF's pet cat

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Religion:
    Nature
    That's something I didn't like nor found logic in some interpretations.

I always thought it was a nice concept because like you said, there is a balance of justice and also, opportunity to reform. Endless chances to change and the only way to suffer eternally is to eternally refuse to change (and no matter the situation, I believe you always have a choice).

I believe so too.

Peace :)

To OP, it's easier for me to think of religions who do have eternal/literal hells than those who don't because it's not as commun as it seems. There's only two that pops into mind, Islam and Christianity. Even in those religions there are sects and/or people who don't believe in hell or at least not eternal hell.

8. Me Myself

Me Myself Back to my username

Ratings:
    +961
    Hehe, well it aint that important for me. I assume many hell realms, "neutral" realms and heavenly realms in the spiritual world. Just like in this world you have some of the three. Just like those here are formed by the person's erception I would expect the spiritual ones to be similarly configured, just a lot more quickly reactive to people's emotions, and sending people out as soon as they stop corresponding enough to the realm.

9. Shia Islam

Shia Islam Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +452
    Religion:
    Shia Islam
    imagine that there is a true religion, which provides rational and undeniable proves about its doctrines...In this case rejecting these full proofs, is an action...
    It's denying what you are sure about it's truth...

10. Rainbow Mage

Rainbow Mage Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

Ratings:
    +867
    Religion:
    UU/Atheist
    Most Polytheistic mythologies don't really contain an idea like the Abrahamic hell, to address the OP.

Some do contain ideas of punishment. I find them very metaphorical.

I don't believe people go to hell. I do believe in something like Hades which would be our common destination regardless of who we are.

Elysium and fields of Asphodel are metaphorical and may even be karma and rebirth related.

11. The Sum of Awe

The Sum of Awe Realitarian

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Religion:
    Stoicism
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought Taoism was just not focused on death at all - not really "returning" to the Tao, but we already belong to the Tao and still do after death.

12. Almustafa

Almustafa Member

Ratings:
    +22
    yeah, taoism is "the path to immortality"
    how can one fear the expiration of a body after one realizes his own consciousness as the Tao..
    Death is the original state of the deathless, in truth there is no such thing as death only eternal life.

however when explaining it to beginners, its best to not be to confusing... that kills the whole point of explaining it.

13. Pagan_Patriot

Pagan_Patriot Active Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Probably Scientology.

14. HankHill

HankHill Indian-American Ex-Hindu

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm fairly certain that you can only find eternal damnation within Christianity and Islam- the two religions which have historically been the most successful at proselytizing.

15. Viraja

Viraja Jaya Jagannatha!

Ratings:
    +252
    Religion:
    Hinduism
    In Hinduism, I have read some puranic (mythological) tales which speak about different forms of hell and who (after doing which action) goes to which one: this link might be helpful: Yahoo! Groups. (Keywords: Rouravam, Sookaram, etc).

16. natasha levchenko

Ratings:
    +48
    Religion:
    JW
    do you think that God really cares about human health? for example we read:proverb 23:20*Do not come to be among heavy drinkers of wine, among those who are gluttonous eaters of flesh.

17. Viraja

Viraja Jaya Jagannatha!

Ratings:
    +252
    Religion:
    Hinduism
    Definitely! A healthy body can only have a healthy mind in it! That is why, in my faith, so many foods, even within Vegetarian kind are noted as 'those that stimulate the base nature of mankind' and people are told to not to eat them or eat them in moderation! (For example: Garlic, onions, etc). :cool:

18. CaptainNobody

CaptainNobody Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Technically, this isn't true. While it isn't explicitly referred to as Hell, and it's not a place of everlasting torment there is a concept called naraka, which is similar to Hell. Buddhism also inherited the concept of narakas from Hinduism.

19. willy1590

willy1590 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    But woudnt a fair system be that those that are bad in life,are simply made good,like their mind and personality is changed to be good?

20. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +28,584
    Religion:
    Erotic Dancing Girls
    If I recall, in the Aztec religion, the soul was said to pass through twelve levels of hell after death. These hells, however, were not seen as punishments for transgressions committed during one's life, and in that manner they differed from the Middle Eastern concept that hell is a place of punishment.