• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions that Practice Oneiromancy

elmarna

The Aboribine in Austrailia that follow the ancient ways are still practiceing god reaching them in dreams.
The Ancient egyptians had a practice of finding their dreams as to help guide them.
When I was with the Native American church their was some who believed that "The Great Spirit entered dreams. I am sure you have seen dream catchers. They are so grand mother spider catches the bad dreams & lets you have the ones that will let you see wisely
HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOU MEANT

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Dreams, along with either card or shell reading and the occasional possessed person, provide the main conduit of information flow between humans and the Lwa/Orisha/etc in many African and African diaspora traditions such as Vodou, Santeria, Candomble, Umbanda, etc. This is largely unknown and undocumented as each practitioner and lineage within each of these traditions has their own idiomatic system of interpretation but when you actually encounter them its pretty central. In my experience.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Well, the Abrahamic faiths used to...

Some offshoots still do. I know that the way that you find out that you are one of the chosen Jehovah's Witnesses, aka one of the heavenly anointed 144,000, instead of just being one of the righteous people who will sleep in the grave and rise again, is through specific dreams.

Also some Mormons, particularly those higher in the hierarchy or in charge of Wards or Stakes, will accept certain dreams as divine messages pertaining to the people under their authority. There are many stories about the Presidents telling some mission boat to delay their trip because of a dream he had and they therefore just miss a tropical storm or avert some other disaster.

I had an ex-coworker, a Ukrainian woman with several young children who was involved in some intense ukrainian pentecostal group who had left due to political oppression, so she said. One day after we had known each other a while she revealed to me the reason she and her family had come to portland with this church group was because the pastor had a dream that they needed to leave the Ukraine immediately and come to the pnw (there is a huge Ukrainian immigrant population here, many of them pentecostal..) due to an imminent escalation in the events of the apocalypse. She had dreams too, and knew the day would come in which she had the correct dream, would pack their children up along with all their canned food and guns and head for the hills. Think this group might have some land somewhere...