• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions in Africa

Jack_Ripper

Hello guys, I am into some research work so maybe you could help me with it. I am trying to get as much possible information on Hinduism across all countries in the globe. The information will be used in my forum which is entirely about Hinduism and related topics(check my sig.), so please help.
So thats where i arise to a question-
*How many religions are there in Africa?
*In how many countries is Hinduism followed or atleast Hindi spoken?

Thanks in advance.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
As far as I'm aware Christianity and Islam are the largest religions in Africa, that the majority of people follow. But there are also a vast number of traditional African folk religions too, pretty much one for each tribe.
Apparently, much like Japan fusing Shino and Buddhism, many Africans are happy to practice their traditional religions alongside their Christian or Muslim faith.

As for Hinduism, I believe there is a sizeable population of people of Indian descent in South Africa who are Hindu, other than that I don't think it has had much success.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
There are HIndus in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, and Nigeria. They have been discriminated widely, especially in Ugand in the 1970s under Idia Amin.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Apparently, much like Japan fusing Shino and Buddhism, many Africans are happy to practice their traditional religions alongside their Christian or Muslim faith.
That is very true, One of the biggest churches here is the ZCC
Despite occasional conflicts, however, the ZCC respects traditional African religious beliefs, in general, especially those concerning the power of the ancestors to intercede on behalf of humans. - South Africa - Zion Christian Church
Sangomas, and Njangas are revered as Traditional healers. Most first go to the sangoma then if it didn't help go to the doctor

bp789

Ghana also has some Hindus. An interesting fact is that the majority of Hindus in Ghana are native black Ghanaian converts. I think there is an article about that somewhere online.