• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion or Spirituality in Everyday Life

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I bless my food. I thank God. I'm aiming to make focused prayer a daily thing, but lately I've been physically unwell and unable.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
It can be everything from helping them in their home, cleaning, buying food, cutting the lawn, walking their dog and so on

How do you determine need? What I mean is how do you know you're doing it out of need or just to check off a religions obligation.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I bless my food. I thank God. I'm aiming to make focused prayer a daily thing, but lately I've been physically unwell and unable.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you bless your food? Also, I hope you feel better.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you do something that is related to your religion or spiritual path each day?

If you wish, please share what these somethings are, and if you are willing, their purpose.

Yes. Every morning I say a prayer to my inner child (younger self who is still growing up given past experiences) and every evening I meditate. If I have stressful experiences, I run by the cause and engage my other senses when I get physiologically downlifted (made up word). I usually run to get the endorphins and sense of self, and just be in awe of nature. I practice ancestral veneration, if one likes, but I'm still getting to know how that works in my life. It would literally be like getting to know who my family is more than I have had before. That and love, charity, gratitude, and all of that wasn't that apparent growing up, so the practice is beneficial and then some. Don't know if I can separate that from daily life to call it a spiritual practice since I want to (and believe that I am) integrating all this as my daily life, but all in all its a learning experience.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If you don't mind me asking, how do you bless your food? Also, I hope you feel better.
It's a basic 'Praise be to God, to the Netjeru, senebti' at the moment, but there is a more formal one I'm going to learn.

Thanks.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I sacrifice flowers, several times a week (doing so every day would probably exceed my budget). I try to read from a religious text every day. I make a monthly donation to a charity and I try to do my job well because I think "doing one’s duty“ is essential to my religion as I understand it.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I do short daily pujas (usually!) and pray at least once a day, usually while I'm in bed waiting to fall asleep.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Do you do something that is related to your religion or spiritual path each day?

If you wish, please share what these somethings are, and if you are willing, their purpose.
Judaism is stock full of things to do that turn ordinary every day living into sacred acts. Let me give you just one example -- eating.

In order for me to eat, the food must be kosher (lawful) for a Jew to eat. I won't go into the long description of all that entails unless you want. But basically, there are some animals I can eat, and some I can't,and I have to keep my meat and dairy separate. Starting with making my shopping list, I have to plan what I'm going to buy so that my meals will be kosher. I have to check labels. Go to special stores or order online. At home, I have certain dishes for dairy, and other dishes for meat. Every time I pull something out of the refrigerator and put it on a dish, I am making a choice to eat kosher (or not).

Then on top of that, I say a blessing. We have a blessings for meals with bread, for wine, and if you don't have bread, there is a blessing for vegetables, fruits, and, well other kind of meal that doesn't have a specific blessing.

After the meal, an extended grace is said. Deuteronomy 8:10 "When you have eaten and are satisfied, you shall bless the LORD your God for the good land which He gave you"

So every time I eat, I take the ordinary action, and I make it sacred. Like I said, I could have chosen any number of examples, but I think people relate well to food.

PearlSeeker

Every day brings its many situations. Some things are scheduled (e. g. prayer at certain hour) some things are just in flow (helping when someone needs help, forgiving when someone bothers you...).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

My morning sadhana, which has increased to about an hour and a half is like coffee. Coffee gave me energy for an active day, and decreases the time factor in the transition from sleepy to fully awake. A cold shower would do the same trick, but coffee is somewhat more comfortable.

Sadhana is similar, but it's not just physical energy I'm after, but clarity of mind, self-control, calmness, intuition, creativity, and a more gentle attitude, in order to be a more productive and useful citizen, and eventually closer to God. If I say something stupid on here, it's most likely later at night, after the sadhana effect has worn off.

Just as many folks don't realise that stores are open and empty for easy shopping in the early hours, sadhana is beneficial for those who can practice it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I do a small puja, about 15-20 minutes, almost every day. It’s rare that I don’t. All through the day I try to take stock of myself ... I think about my shortcomings, which are many. I stop and think and/or thank the gods or apologize. I don’t get the opportunity every day but if I do and can, I’ll help someone who needs it.