• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is a Science

VioletVortex

In my opinion, religion is a science. In fact, it is one of the most important sciences. It's the science of the unknown, symbolism, and a deeper view of psychology.

I'm tired of people trying to portray science and religion as polar opposites or enemies. However, because religion is mostly theoretical, discoveries in other branches of science can debunk religious theories. This is also the case with every branch of science there is. The difference is that people take religion very personally and get caught up in it.

Thoughts?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Psychology generally holds a very shallow view of the human mind, they do not seem to acknowledge the spiritual elements to the mind.
What is the 'spiritual elements of the mind' and how does psychology fail to deal with it.

VioletVortex

Religion isn't explanatory, predictable and repeatable.

Hence it being the science of the unknown. In mainstream science, tangible items are studied. Generally, scientists have a pretty good understanding of the items they are working within. Religion deals more with immaterial concepts, which are unpredictable.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Hence it being the science of the unknown. In mainstream science, tangible items are studied. Generally, scientists have a pretty good understanding of the items they are working within. Religion deals more with immaterial concepts, which are unpredictable.
Particle physics and quantum physics more or less disagree imo .

Predictability is key .

Sociology could be stated as studying the immaterial

VioletVortex

What is the 'spiritual elements of the mind' and how does psychology fail to deal with it.

Sentience. Most psychologists explain the phenomenon of a subjective view of the world and self awareness by writing it off as a result of the complexity of the mind. That doesn't seem likely, as it is still objective. I think sentience is the result of the soul. That seems more reasonable to me. I believe in emergent dualism; I think the soul consists of energy and comes about due to something in the physical brain.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Sentience. Most psychologists explain the phenomenon of a subjective view of the world and self awareness by writing it off as a result of the complexity of the mind. That doesn't seem likely, as it is still objective. I think sentience is the result of the soul. That seems more reasonable to me. I believe in emergent dualism; I think the soul consists of energy and comes about due to something in the physical brain.
Just because you believe it, doesn't mean it's scientific.

VioletVortex

Particle physics and quantum physics more or less disagree imo .

Predictability is key .

Sociology could be stated as studying the immaterial

Sociology is the study of the way humans interact with each other. The concept is not material, however, it is still conventionally measurable in material terms.

Milton Platt

In my opinion, religion is a science. In fact, it is one of the most important sciences. It's the science of the unknown, symbolism, and a deeper view of psychology.

I'm tired of people trying to portray science and religion as polar opposites or enemies. However, because religion is mostly theoretical, discoveries in other branches of science can debunk religious theories. This is also the case with every branch of science there is. The difference is that people take religion very personally and get caught up in it.

Thoughts?

Yes, just one....you haven't got a clue about what constitutes scientific methods of inquiry.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Science is not always accurate. Scientists are constantly disproving theories. I'm equating my beliefs to theory.
Things become a scientific theory because they ate testable , make predictions and are repeatable .
Your belief is not equal to a scientific theory.

Also that's the strength of science it's self correcting. Updating as we learn and New information becomes available

Iti oj

Premium Member
I would doubt that you know much about spirituality, given that you are an atheist. On the other hand, you could have a PhD in religion, and still reject it.
So? How does that bear on What is and is not science?

VioletVortex

Things become a scientific theory because they ate testable , make predictions and are repeatable .
Your belief is not equal to a scientific theory.

Also that's the strength of science it's self correcting. Updating as we learn and New information becomes available

Okay, fine. By the textbook definition of science, religion is not scientific. However, it is still a very similar concept.

VioletVortex

So? How does that bear on What is and is not science?

Atheist hold a conventional scientific view of the world. I hold a scientific and spiritual view of the world. I do not relate as well to his worldview, and he doesn't relate well to mine.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Okay, fine. By the textbook definition of science, religion is not scientific. However, it is still a very similar concept.
I'm glad to hear you say the former but I'm not sure how the latter statement is true. At best they both try to explain our world. However how they go about it and the success rate is vastly different. Religion doesn't even operate the same way.

Might be more realistic to say spiritualism is closer to science since both involve discovery. Even then that would be a shallow comparision imo.

VioletVortex

I'm glad to hear you say the former but I'm not sure how the latter statement is true. At best they both try to explain our world. However how they go about it and the success rate is vastly different. Religion doesn't even operate the same way.

Might be more realistic to say spiritualism is closer to science since both involve discovery. Even then that would be a shallow comparision imo.

Absolutely. This was a poor way of wording it. Religion isn't related to science. Spirituality, mysticism, and Occultism are more relatable to science. Religion is just the spiritual element of culture. It has little to do with independent spirituality and Occultism.