• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and hair

Hairs have a lot of importance in religion. As their prophets tell them to do so that's why they are doing according to their religion. Muslim women are supposed to cover their hairs so no one can see them. Men with beard is Sunnah in Islam not obligatory for every one.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Why do some religions have a thing for discussing or controlling one's hair?

So many religions control human hair, bodily, facial or head hair.
But.. why?

Buddhists shave their heads as they enter temple, Sikhs grow all their hair without shaving it, Taoists and Confucians traditionally grew their hair. Vaishnava Hindus keep short hair, and Bahá'ís are prohibited from keeping hair past their ears. Women were supposed to have short hair, and men long hair in traditional Christian beliefs (Paul), and Muslims are usually seen as supposed to keep a beard at least fist length, and their moustaches trimmed.

What does your religion say about hair, if it says anything at all?
Why must hair be discussed and even in some cases, restricted?

How important is it to your religion, and to you personally?

Even though I go from clean faced to stubbly on the beard side, I wouldn't think of chopping off my lovely long curls. Something reminded me of hair in religion, so I thought I'd ask away.

Never knew that about my religion.

Thanks. :D

confusedius

The Shadow
It is about control, I believe. If you can be convinced to bend to the will of others as to what is obviously yours, you begin the journey toward being under their total control...

Orias

Left Hand Path
It is about control, I believe. If you can be convinced to bend to the will of others as to what is obviously yours, you begin the journey toward being under their total control...

This includes things other than the matierial and visible objects.

It also strongly applies to the metaphysical concepts such as the "soul" and "conscious".

Mintz

La Illaha IlAllah
I once had a man approach me being all islamaphobic. He asked me if I had to shave my head (I wear hijab). I'm sure any muslim would find this hilarious and absurd. The Qur'an says nothing of the sorts, but the Bible does.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I once had a man approach me being all islamaphobic. He asked me if I had to shave my head (I wear hijab). I'm sure any muslim would find this hilarious and absurd. The Qur'an says nothing of the sorts, but the Bible does.

Are you referring to this?

1 Corinthians 11:2-16:
2 Now I praise you that you remember me in everything, and hold fast the teachings just as I delivered them to you.
3 And I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man who prays or prophesies while having a veil hanging down from his head disgraces his head.
5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head; for it is one and the same thing with her having a shaven head.
6 For if a woman does not cover her head, let her have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then let her cover her head.
7 For a man ought not to cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
8 For man’s origin is not from woman, but woman’s origin is from man.
9 For in fact man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for man’s sake.
10 For this reason the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head because of the angels.
11 In the Lord, however, neither woman is apart from man, nor is man apart from woman.
12 For just as the woman is from the man, so also the man is through the woman; and all things are from God.
13 Judge within yourselves: Is it fitting for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
15 but if a woman wears long hair, it is an honor to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.
16 But if someone is disposed to being argumentative, we do not have such a custom, nor have the churches of God.

From what I gather, this passage is saying that women shouldn't shave her head, as her hair is her covering.

Be careful, the Qur'anic verses are often misinterpreted as well. Do your best to not mistake curiosity for Islamaphobia. ;)

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There is nothing in the Qur'an that would even slightly suggest such a thing.

I never said there was.
I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that you may have misinterpreted the Biblical verses the same way that people misinterpret Qur'anic verses. I never said the Qur'an mentions shaving a woman's head.

Mintz

La Illaha IlAllah
Those bible verses clearly contradict eachother.

And I do take it as islamaphobia when someone says "You're not a MOSLEM are you?" and then never speaks to me again after finding out I'm muslim... the man was a regular customer in a store i worked.

Blessed love

I will just chime in here, as a Rastafarian InI take the Nazarene vow, InI grow I hair i nah touch no booze or tobacco or pork. I locks give I life, health and strength. InI locks represent the Lion of the Judah Haile Selassie I

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In South India at Tirupati and Palani especially, getting tonsured as a penance is incredibly common.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those bible verses clearly contradict eachother.

I disagree. The way I interpret this...If hair is considered a covering, then shaving it bald would be an abomination since women should cover while in prayer. I think it may be a clarification. I'm reading this as a text, not necessarily Biblical.

And I do take it as islamaphobia when someone says "You're not a MOSLEM are you?" and then never speaks to me again after finding out I'm muslim... the man was a regular customer in a store i worked.[/QUOTE]

How on earth could I have reached this conclusion when you didn't provide the full picture? :confused: