• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

relations between the three yanas.

perhaps it is difficult to generalise, but are the three vehicles of Buddhism generally accepting of the others as fellow travellers of the Dharma, in your experience?
I think his Holiness the Dalai Lama is very tolerant, but what about at the grassroots level? and how do most bhikkhu feel?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
That's a difficult question, a_a, because it's likely VERY different from one geographical region to the next. Here in the states, where Buddhism has become incredibly Westernized, we're not usually privy to the leanings of how followers in one Buddhist school personally feel about the other two in the East.

Believe me, they got their own political and economical struggles with each other that just doesn't exist between Buddhist communities here in the West.

I can say this, and that's the general notion that we all agree on the very basic principles of attaining individual liberation. What happens afterward is what constitutes the subject of debate. ;)

My own personal views toward the Theravada and Mahayana schools are greatly appreciative, and I can totally understand where those in the Theravada schools are coming from when they feel that helping others toward liberation is rather............well...........extraneous. Achieving enlightenment and existing as an arhat is all that is needed individually, and the rest will take care of itself.

I can only say that it doesn't quite jive with me. I understand it and appreciate it, but it doesn't feel like it's enough in regards to other sentient beings. That's where we differ philosophically.

But - that's OK. :)

I'm still waiting for an RF virtual food fight between all three schools, though, just to shake things up a bit. Lilithu and I started with brownies once, and that was pretty much it. LOL

Peace,
Mystic

zenzero

Its only a Label
MINDless questions as it hardly helps the individual.
What helps is only MEDITATION.
Differences remains till the MIND remains.
Get over the MIND through
MEDITATION.
Love & rgds

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
MINDless questions as it hardly helps the individual.
What helps is only MEDITATION.
Differences remains till the MIND remains.
Get over the MIND through
MEDITATION.
Love & rgds

And that is relevent..........how?

Peace,
Mystic

zenzero

Its only a Label
MS,
Koan, Meditation is not sitting on your bum my friend that is called SITTING.
Meditation is a state and when the state is reached the mind is not there and so no differences remains.
The path of Q & A is also a path agree
Those HERE-NOW need to straight way drop the mind and those Q & A.
One never left HOME.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
MIND will always REMAIN.
TRUE.
THOUGHTS in them do not REMAIN
ALSO TRUE.
kindly understand the second.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
UNDERSTANDING is not from the MIND alone.
The BEING in each individual understands out of its own accord.
No efforts required.
Till then its a journey to be travelled.
Love & rgds

vandervalley

and I can totally understand where those in the Theravada schools are coming from when they feel that helping others toward liberation is rather............well...........extraneous. Achieving enlightenment and existing as an arhat is all that is needed individually, and the rest will take care of itself.

So theravada buddhists don't believe everyone has the potential to achieve buddhahood in the distant future?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So theravada buddhists don't believe everyone has the potential to achieve buddhahood in the distant future?

From how I understand it, vv, yes. But, the ideal of the bodhisattva isn't the main feature of this school. It is a basic and simple formula that works beautifully. :)

Peace,
Mystic

koan

As I know it, Theravada does believe one may become enlightened , What appears though, it that Theravadins believe that only Monks / Nuns, may become enlightened during their current life cycle. However it is possible for a lay person, but extremely unlikely.

vandervalley

As I know it, Theravada does believe one may become enlightened , What appears though, it that Theravadins believe that only Monks / Nuns, may become enlightened during their current life cycle. However it is possible for a lay person, but extremely unlikely.

There are many levels of Enlightenment; Arahanthood, Bhodisattava-hood and Buddhahood etc. and Buddhahood is the highest level. when you say Theravada Buddhists believe one can become enlightened; to what level are you suggesting?

From how I understand it, vv, yes. But, the ideal of the bodhisattva isn't the main feature of this school. It is a basic and simple formula that works beautifully. :)

If I remember correctly (I could be wrong of course); Didn't Buddha say every sentient being has Buddha nature thus all can achieve Buddhahood? I remeber reading about it somewhere; he said this when he first became enlightened

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
If I remember correctly (I could be wrong of course); Didn't Buddha say every sentient being has Buddha nature thus all can achieve Buddhahood? I remeber reading about it somewhere; he said this when he first became enlightened
Hi, V V -

This is the message of the Lotus Sutra as well, which is the basis for my particular tradition and school of Buddhism.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Absolutely. :yes:

Peace,
Mystic

vandervalley

I wish we have more Theravada Buddhists here in RF; most of the Buddhists here in RF are all from Mahayana school :p

To all Buddhists reading this post: ask your Theravada friends to join us :D