• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reincarnation.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I was reading an article on the internet that says that although the Adi Granth appears to confirm the existence of reincarnation, this is only due to the evolution in the meaning of words from Sanskrit to Punjabi. The author claimed that Guru Nanak did not teach reincarnation. I had assumed, rightly or wrongly, that reincarnation was a part of Sikhism. What do you think then? Do most Sikhs believe in it, or not? What is your personal opinion, and why?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sikhism believes in reincarnation and rebirth just like hindus. If one believes in a soul and a God, then heaven and hell are a necessary corollary. The indic religions generally believe in rebirth, heaven and hell are not one time affair. What scheme that author on the internet had to offer?

Sikhism

Yes sikhism believes in reincarnation, if i have time i will be posting what i hope you find an interesting topic on the game of life.
evrything we see here, and the reason we are here is to play a game created by god.

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
Hi aspergers_anomalous. OK So reincarnation is a very deep discussion topic and I will try to unfold it as much I can.
I am kind of taking a leap here but God in Sikhism is defined as sort of what we define as Energy in scientific language, but in Sikhism there is much more said about its metaphysical relations. God is defined as including much more than and is not limited to the present definition of energy but incorporates it. Soul is a gift/part of god that sustains us – it is the driver of our body. Once we die it is going to take some other form ( remember energy in itself has not form) - could be plant animal – a brick etc, but only us as humans have the ability to acknowledge this and god, due to our brain capabilities. This is why human life is given so much importance to. A point to be noted id that Guru Nanak Dev Ji says that this “may” be our last chance in human form, we don’t know for sure. So this should use this life and capabilities to realize what God is, while as other animals we do have chance but very low. Also another thing to be noted is that soul does not have brain and we can only call it ours until present after what happens who knows.
This is reincarnation according to Sikhism. Now we also believe in evolution, but that’s a whole different story and includes the how the physical forms came about.

I would like post specific hymns but I’m not allowed to until 15 posts. Also Sikhs do not believe in heaven or hell.

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
Hi aspergers_anomalous. OK So reincarnation is a very deep discussion topic and I will try to unfold it as much I can.
I am kind of taking a leap here but God in Sikhism is defined as sort of what we define as Energy in scientific language, but in Sikhism there is much more said about its metaphysical relations. God is defined as including much more than and is not limited to the present definition of energy but incorporates it. Soul is a gift/part of god that sustains us – it is the driver of our body. Once we die it is going to take some other form ( remember energy in itself has not form) - could be plant animal – a brick etc, but only us as humans have the ability to acknowledge this and god, due to our brain capabilities. This is why human life is given so much importance to. A point to be noted id that Guru Nanak Dev Ji says that this “may” be our last chance in human form, we don’t know for sure. So this should use this life and capabilities to realize what God is, while as other animals we do have chance but very low. Also another thing to be noted is that soul does not have brain and we can only call it ours until present after what happens who knows
This is reincarnation according to Sikhism. Now we also believe in evolution, but that’s a whole different story and includes the how the physical forms came about.

I would like post specific hymns but I’m not allowed to until 15 posts. Also Sikhs do not believe in heaven or hell.

Surya Deva

Quite a far-fetched interpretation there Ax. As far as I know Sikhism's theory of reincarnation is identical to the Hindu one. That is the soul(atman) is entrapped in a cycle of birth and death(samsara) and it can only be liberated from it by become desireless and transcending maya, then it merges with god. The soul reincarnates in a body according to its karma; good karma means a good body, bad karma means a bad body.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,
Friend ax was trying to respond in a broadbased manner for non-hindus to understand. Your response is to the point ofcourse.
However like to add that the effects of karma, what you mentioned:

The soul reincarnates in a body according to its karma; good karma means a good body, bad karma means a bad body.

is not only to the body but the whole environment / surroundings around it starting from the family one is born in, like rich, poor, religious, educated, etc. etc.

Love & rgds

Surya Deva

Zenzero,

I was just clarifying it. It is important to have clarity in these matters, or misconceptions form.

The mind, body and world are itself a projection of the souls karmas. So yes, ones environment and surrounding, their parents, their living conditions and life will be decided by ones past karmas.

zenzero

Its only a Label
frined suraj,
Know that you know much more on the subject than you wrote.
Just was trying to bring out the differnces in writing by different people. Mostly we all mean the same but speak differently due to our perceptions.
As Jesus never spoke of reincarnation can I accept that he did not know about it? No surely he did since his training was in sanatan dharma but his target audience and his time limit to et them across to his line of thoughts kept his speech limited to certain aspect like buddha as they all wanted each individual to atleast have a taste of that space to understand the other things on its own to draw conclusions.
Cheer up! You are worth much more. Your Rig veda still needs postings.
Love & rgds

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
Suraj - according to hinduism is karma to be done to attian liberation in afterlife or during this life time?

Surya Deva

Ax, karmas do not lead to liberation. If you perform an action, due to the law of causality(karmic law) that action will have an effect. This effect could either be positive or negative and it could be active or dormant. As soon as we perform an action it leaves a residue in the mind(samkaras) and then that like a seed germinates in the unconscious. This effect can be felt in this life or the next life, sometimes the karma can remain dormant for several lifetimes, it only manifests when it is triggered by a suitable environment. An example could be suppose you have a really bad experience at a certain place, this leaves a residue karma in your mind. Now, suppose for a few years you have forgotten about that bad experience. The karma remains dormant for these few years. However, you may visit that place again, and all of a sudden the karma is active again.

Another case could be you cause somebody harm in the past, let us say you hurt someone really bad by saying something to them. The karma you perform leaves a residue which enters your unconscious. It may lay dormant for a few years, but actually that seed is germinating in your unconscious, the karma may eventually cause you to end up bumping into that person again after several years. It may seem like a coincidence, but actually it is determined by your past karmas.

Another type of karma is that which determines the outcomes in your life. Some people seem to have all the luck, this is not random chance convergence, they genuinely do have good luck because of good karmas in the past. They may have been very charitable in their earlier years, and later on they get an unexpected inheritance worth a fortune.

At death, the breath detaches from the body, and the mind detaches from the breath and it takes its karmas with it. However, as long as it has unfulfilled karmas they create vasanas(desires) and long as it has desires it cannot be liberated from the cycle of birth and death. It can only fulfill those desires through a body, and therefore again it reincarnates. The kind of body it reincarates in, which time and place and the kind of life is all determined by the past karmas.

It does not matter which karmas you do, whether they are charity or theft, you will continue to reincarnate over and over again. The only difference is if you did good actions you will lead a relatively better life than if you did bad actions. The only way to become liberated is to reach a state of desirelessness. As soon as you have no desires left, you will merge into the supreme being. The only way to do this is through Yoga. In Sikhism this is through Bhakti Yoga, absolute devotion to god and always uttering his name(Sat Naam, Waheguru) so you allow yourself to become the instrument of god's will losing all sense of egoity and desire. In this state you will do good things like charity, service, teaching others, but you will not create any karmas, because you are simply doing his will. This is why Arjuna did not incur any bad karma when he carried out the will of Lord Krishna, despite engaging in murder and deceit. As soon as you surrender your 'I' to god, you become free of causality.

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
well certainly I beg to differ - Have you ever read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and actually understood the meaning or have you just read some explaining book? from where did you posses the knwoledge about what Sikhism teaches in the mater of reincarnation?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ax,
Since it appears that you have understood the Sri Guru Granth Sahib; kindly do share your knowledge about it.
Please do remember that Sikhism has branched out of Sanatan Dharma and so the basic teachings does not differ; however as even there exists differences between two identical leaves there are bound to be differences here too; which we would like to share with us in context of its development as a seperate identity.
Love & rgds

Surya Deva

I have actually read the Guru Granth Sahib and other Sikh texts, so I have directly learned about Sikhism from there. It's not very different from Hinduism, even the concepts are the same:

Here are external and secular sources on Sikh views on reincarnation

Reincarnation: They believe in samsara (the repetitive cycle of birth, life and death), karma (the accumulated sum of one's good and bad deeds, and reincarnationthe belief of a rebirth following death. These beliefs are similar to Hinduism.
Source: Religious tolerance.com

Sikh beliefs are an interesting expansion on Hindu and Muslim ideas. Like Hindus, Sikhs believe in Dharma, (the law of Karma) reincarnation, and Samsara (the Hindu cycle of life and death).
Source: About.com

Last edited by a moderator:

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
So are you punjabi. do you poses the Sri Guru Granth Sahib - where did you learn about the meaning - I know very well about these general websites. Please let me know.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ax,
The jouney to God is internal and agree with friend Suraj that in Sikhism it is through *Bhakti Yoga* that one merges with Wahe Guru.
If bhakti yoga does not suit someone there are N number of Ways which are possible depending with one is comfortable with. In today's scenarios where everyone appears to be intellectuals and want to do anything after understanding it through the Mind then surely *Gyan yoga* should be most suited.
What PATH / WAY suits you?
Love & rgds

Surya Deva

There is an excellent translation of the Guru Granth Sahib available online. I am not sure why you are disputing that Sikhs believe in reincarnation, the Guru Granth Sahib is full of them: Please take a look yourself:

Those who are in love with duality forget You. The ignorant, self-willed manmukhs re consigned to reincarnation. || 2 || Those who are pleasing to the One Lord enshrine the Lord within their minds. Through the Guru's Teachings, they are absorbed in the Lord's Name. || 3 ||

|| 1 || Pause || In doubt he comes, and in doubt he goes. This world is born out of the love of duality. The self-willed manmukh does not remember the Lord; he continues coming and going in reincarnation. || 2 ||

Pg 160, Guru Granth Sahib, Guru Amar Das

Those whose hearts are filled with the love of duality, do not love the Gurmukhs. They come and go, and wander in reincarnation; even in their dreams, they find no peace. They practice falsehood and they speak falsehood; attached to falsehood, they become false. The love of Maya is total pain; in pain they perish, and in pain they cry out. O Nanak, there can be no union between the love of worldliness and the love of the Lord, no matter how much everyone may desire it.

Pg 316, Guru Granth Sahib, Guru Arjuna Dev

This is near completely identical with Hindu concepts of reincarnation, samsara and Karma. In fact the Guru Granth Sahib is not very different on the whole from Hinduism.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,
Thanks for those quotes, they are beautiful.
None can have have doubts of Sikhism being much different from Sanatan Dharma; if some have surely they are misplaced. When the roots are the same there cannot be basic differences similar to Buddhism or Jainism whose roots are from Sanatan Dharma rather prefer to state that they are all branches of sanatan dharma which is open ended and allows branches to grow.
Love & rgds