• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rehash god/proof debate

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No. Non-believers don't expect proof. After all, we don't have "proof" that the Earth is round or that germs cause disease, either. All we want is some evidence.
Then you have to start practicing a spiritual teaching, because that is where the answers lay, and in the personal experience a practitioner is experiencing. A believer can not give the evidence to one who do not know what to look for (what you get from the spiritual teaching)

Brian2

Veteran Member
No. Non-believers don't expect proof. After all, we don't have "proof" that the Earth is round or that germs cause disease, either. All we want is some evidence.

You want empirical evidence as if God is an object that can be measured and studied.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just some objective reason to distinguish a specific god-claim from just guessing or imagination, would help.
That reason will be different for each one of us who found a God and teaching we believe will bring us close to the God we follow and believe in. For me, the teaching in sufism gave me a lot deeper and maybe better answers than other spiritual teachings i believed in and followed in the past. would i advice others to do like i did? No. The path i taken through life is not for everyone to take. But it was the personal path i needed to take.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
That reason will be different for each one of us who found a God and teaching we believe will bring us close to the God we follow and believe in. For me, the teaching in sufism gave me a lot deeper and maybe better answers than other spiritual teachings i believed in and followed in the past. would i advice others to do like i did? No. The path i taken through life is not for everyone to take. But it was the personal path i needed to take.

If people feel the need to believe something and it helps them and does no harm to anybody else, then that's okay, but I'm not going to accept the objective reality of something without some objective evidence. I don't doubt that the belief in certain things helps some people in some ways but that doesn't tell me anything about the truth or otherwise of that belief - especially when contradictory beliefs seem to help different people, as you've pretty much said here.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If people feel the need to believe something and it helps them and does no harm to anybody else, then that's okay, but I'm not going to accept the objective reality of something without some objective evidence. I don't doubt that the belief in certain things helps some people in some ways but that doesn't tell me anything about the truth or otherwise of that belief - especially when contradictory beliefs seem to help different people, as you've pretty much said here.
Luckely for me, i am not here to harm or convert you :) Feel free to be who you are and believe in what you feel is right for you

Brian2

Veteran Member
Just some objective reason to distinguish a specific god-claim from just guessing or imagination, would help.

For me the history in the Bible is true and the reasons for saying it is not are,,,,,,,,,,much over-rated.
That historical basis can be considered objective reason to distinguish between different god claims by different religions.
Guessing and imagination can be seen in many religions that do not have that historical basis.

ratiocinator

For me the history in the Bible is true and the reasons for saying it is not are,,,,,,,,,,much over-rated.

Ignoring for a moment all the problems with it being history, even if it was, why would that mean that the god depicted is also real? It is also the case that the bible isn't even self-consistent, is riddled with contradictions, and contains no clear message.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Something CT made me think....

What proof do nonbelievers (to whom this question is appropriate) want for god?
I'm sure this will vary from person to person, but my general rule of thumb is this: if God is supposed to have at least as much impact on our lives and the world around us as the Moon does, I would expect at least as much evidence as we have for God as we do for the moon, in terms of both quality and quantity.

Why wouldn't proof be how it chances a person's life and not something explained objectively?

If something changed your life profoundly, would you use logic to verify your experiences, or?
Sure, that would help... as long as the person could show that the thing changing their life is actually God and not just their belief in God (or the support they get from their church, etc.).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Then you have to start practicing a spiritual teaching, because that is where the answers lay, and in the personal experience a practitioner is experiencing. A believer can not give the evidence to one who do not know what to look for (what you get from the spiritual teaching)

If a person was interested in spirituality as you understand it,would it be possible to give evidence to those with genuine interest?

Sometimes we may not discuss spiritual evidence for fear that others will discredit it rather than the inability to describe it.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It is not life after death that I am talking about even if a conclusion about that can be taken from the experiences of some with NDEs.
The experiences I am talking about are those where verifiable evidence is given that the person remembered seeing and hearing things they should not remember if unconscious at the time, and even things in other rooms.
Well, what about subconscious mechanisms? You are making the unwarranted assumption that we need to be conscious to remember things. For instance, once I dreamed of someone ringing at the door, while asleep, to find out, the morning after, that someone indeed rang at my door. My brain just constructed a model of the outside world while I was unconscious.

Isn't maybe something to keep into account before invoking the spiritual world?

Ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So a personal belief in God is a belief that must be proven to the non believers (or others) to be a valid belief?
I think it's more that if you can't explain your belief to someone else in a way that makes sense, then this is a big red flag that your belief probably doesn't make sense (barring things like language issues, of course).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If a person was interested in spirituality as you understand it,would it be possible to give evidence to those with genuine interest?

Sometimes we may not discuss spiritual evidence for fear that others will discredit it rather than the inability to describe it.
Generally - with the exception of someone with language issues, as I mentioned in my last post - if someone has an inability to describe what they believe and why, I take this as a sign that their belief probably isn't well-founded.

... and rightly so, IMO.

ratiocinator

The problem as posed in the OP that the evidence is experiential.

The problem with that is that you can't distinguish between the effects of the belief and the reality or otherwise of what is believed in (or other factors, like belonging to a church or other religious community).

So what evidence are you looking for and what exactly is it for?

I'm not looking for anything, I just note the absence of anything objective that can back up any of the various god(s) claims.