• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend me some horror novels pretty please?

Erebus

I'm with you on the first two. Though I still enjoyed 3 on, that's when the Cenobites became less "amoral eldritch beings literally incapable of separating pleasure and pain, taking people to an existence they thought they wanted but humans clearly weren't built for" to "ha just kidding, just pulpy evil demons with Hell and everything."

So, the first two were actually interesting, everything after that was only fun in the campy sense.

One of my favorite lines in horror comes from 2: "No! It is not hands that call us, but desire."

Anyway I've surprisingly never read The Hellbound Heart, maybe I should. I'll check out the others' descriptions when I'm in bed too and see if anything resonates with me.

The one that really hurts is Hellraiser 4. I love the idea of a film that explores the history of the Lemarchand configuration and the changing nature of Hell, which we would have had if it wasn't for studio interference. We also don't have nearly enough period horror films for my liking!

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
The one that really hurts is Hellraiser 4. I love the idea of a film that explores the history of the Lemarchand configuration and the changing nature of Hell, which we would have had if it wasn't for studio interference. We also don't have nearly enough period horror films for my liking!

The only scene that disturbed me at all was the blending of the brothers (you know the ones).

I agree, we need more period horror and I would like some more space horror that isn’t just camp.

I admit I love all of the 80’s/90’s “it’s in space now!” horror, especially the Leprechaun one.

I love bad horror as often as I love good horror, but I wish there were a better ratio…

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

I just turned on HR4. Robot just exploded. This is what I’ll go to sleep to today ^.^

Psalm23

Not sci-fi or science fiction but there was a movie made based on the book Silence of the Lambs. I haven’t read the book though.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Oh woof I just remembered the second greatest line in Hellraiser history actually is in 4: “do I look like someone that gives a damn what God thinks?” (Spoken by Pinhead)

Psalm23

There was also a show called Hannibal with Madson something or other, that was great.

I haven’t seen it yet. They have Hannibal Rising as well. I find the character Hannibal Lecter fascinating. The actor for him in Silence of the Lambs was brilliant.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I recently got into Thomas Ligotti, though his work seems to be mostly about the vague uncanny rather than horror in the strict sense.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I recently got into Thomas Ligotti, though his work seems to be mostly about the vague uncanny rather than horror in the strict sense.

I loved the lair of the white worm, can’t remember the exact title. Ligotti takes cosmic horror and kind of twists it inside out; but he leaves out the bits that interested me in cosmic horror in the first place (the blatantly supernatural). Still, it appears in some, and there’s no denying his mastery of prose.

Edit: festival of the worm maybe? You know. The one with the strange festival and the pariah people and, of course, the worms.

Erebus

Oh woof I just remembered the second greatest line in Hellraiser history actually is in 4: “do I look like someone that gives a damn what God thinks?” (Spoken by Pinhead)

As much as I prefer the stoic, Dracula-esque version of him in the first two films, I will admit the others have some good one-liners.

Hellraiser 3 had this one:

Monroe on seeing Pinhead - "Jesus Christ!"

Pinhead - "Not quite."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not sci-fi or science fiction but there was a movie made based on the book Silence of the Lambs. I haven’t read the book though.
I'm just now getting around to reading that trilogy of books.
Anthony Hopkins was very good; but the Hannibal show on Netflix with Madsen (I forget his name) is very cerebral, I can’t recommend it enough.
It is pretty good, and while Hopkins will always be my favorite Hannibal the guy on the show was really good. I've wondered how he and Edward Norton together with Norton reprising the role of Will.

Nimos

Specifically sci-fi or supernatural horror?

My favorite contemporary horror from the last 5 years or so is John Langan's "The Fisherman."

I just finished reading Warren Fahy's "Fragment," which was pretty okay (it got weird by the end), and it wasn't so much horror-feeling as it was an action-adventure sort of thing.

I like stories that involve ancient evils (think Stephen King's "It," Dan Simmons' "Summer of Night," Dean Koontz's "Phantoms"), but I'm always down for a good creature feature as well.
Never read a horror story, but can you actually be scared when reading a book? I can understand it in movies when you have the creepy visuals, music, "when is the next jump scare" etc.

I would find that hard in a book, that you read a sentence and get so scared that you drop the book :D or how does that work, is it just the imagination that people let go wild or what?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Never read a horror story, but can you actually be scared when reading a book? I can understand it in movies when you have the creepy visuals, music, "when is the next jump scare" etc.

I would find that hard in a book, that you read a sentence and get so scared that you drop the book :D or how does that work, is it just the imagination that people let go wild or what?
Personally I don't get scared by books or movies. But I still read and watch them. For me it'd about unpacking existential dread, not so much the jump scares.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you tried House of Leaves? A bit more of a cerebral horror where things start off just slightly wrong and spirals from there. Until all the people writing the story crack.

Erebus

I'm pretty hardened to horror now so it's rare for something to scare me. Most films can't even make me jump since I've seen enough to predict when it will happen.

Books aren't going to make you jump or make you too nervous to carry on. However, they can deal with disturbing concepts that stick in your mind. I sometimes find myself imagining Jud in Pet Sematery washing his resurrected dog as it stays perfectly still, "Like washing meat." That creepy, uncanny image stayed with me more than anything in the films.