• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend me some horror novels pretty please?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Never read a horror story, but can you actually be scared when reading a book? I can understand it in movies when you have the creepy visuals, music, "when is the next jump scare" etc.

I would find that hard in a book, that you read a sentence and get so scared that you drop the book :D or how does that work, is it just the imagination that people let go wild or what?
Different forms of media have different strengths and weaknesses. Movies are better at the jump scare. But books are so much better at building suspense, foreshadowing, showing characters inner thoughts and feelings.

In a movie if it gets too graphic or gory you can just look away. In a book the horror will just sit there waiting for you.

Earthtank

Specifically sci-fi or supernatural horror?

My favorite contemporary horror from the last 5 years or so is John Langan's "The Fisherman."

I just finished reading Warren Fahy's "Fragment," which was pretty okay (it got weird by the end), and it wasn't so much horror-feeling as it was an action-adventure sort of thing.

I like stories that involve ancient evils (think Stephen King's "It," Dan Simmons' "Summer of Night," Dean Koontz's "Phantoms"), but I'm always down for a good creature feature as well.

This one is good AND its a true story.

The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine is a book authored by New Historian Ilan Pappé and published in 2006 by One World Oxford. During the 1948 Palestine war, around 720,000 Palestinian Arabs out of the 900,000 who lived in the territories that became Israel fled or were expelled from their homes

51UYLvX+g6L._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oh and here's 1 more. Also a true story

The Israeli Holocaust Against the Palestinians
Announcing one of the most explosive indictments of the Zionist State ever published! Here is unprecedented documentation of the horrendous atrocities which the Israelis visit upon the Palestinian

514FSAQKGCL.jpg

Psalm23

I'm just now getting around to reading that trilogy of books.

It is pretty good, and while Hopkins will always be my favorite Hannibal the guy on the show was really good. I've wondered how he and Edward Norton together with Norton reprising the role of Will.

How is the trilogy so far?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Never read a horror story, but can you actually be scared when reading a book? I can understand it in movies when you have the creepy visuals, music, "when is the next jump scare" etc.

I would find that hard in a book, that you read a sentence and get so scared that you drop the book :D or how does that work, is it just the imagination that people let go wild or what?

I’ve never been that scared, @ADigitalArtist said something similar to what I would say: for me it’s more about the creeping, building dread and then the reveal. Jump scares are kitsch horror; for me the best horror is when you know it’s coming and it’s still creepy.

(but yes this is letting your imagination run wild)