• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend a Bible

roger1440

I do stuff
A Bible computer program I use frequently is called “E-Sword”. It comes with about six Bibles. Check out the site. Best of all, it’s FREE. e-Sword | Home

e-sword.png

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A Bible computer program I use frequently is called “E-Sword”. It comes with about six Bibles. Check out the site. Best of all, it’s FREE. e-Sword | Home

e-sword.png

I have e-sword and I do use it. This might not seem particularly significant but it is actually a rather significant endorsement (and not just because I am in general critical of such sources: Strong's Concordance Ruins Lives- Do your part). I have three Greek NTs and access to the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG), which has both Greek NT texts and the LXX, physical editions of both Greek and (mostly) Hebrew Jewish texts, even the translations into Gothic that Wulfila made, and I still find E-Sword very helpful. First, it's free. Second, I have Hebrew, Greek, English, German, etc., "bibles" loaded on it that are also free. Third, I can view a single line of text as it exists in multiple different bibles/languages (and view entire chapters between e.g., Wycliffe's Middle English translation to the original Greek). Fourth, while the lexicons available (for free, anyway) aren't as good as those I have, they are actually usually earlier editions of these (e.g., the LSJ).

In short, while I have a superior version/edition/etc. for any single package loaded into E-Sword, I have nothing which allows me to search, compare, and access similar sources all wrapped into one. I've loaded into E-Sword enough sources that their physical versions would be more than I could lift. All free.

However, there are some qualifications. Many of the best translations aren't free, the Hebrew, Latin, & Greek texts are not generally as good as the latest versions of these, and dictionaries like are (as I said) not nearly as good as the current versions. Additionally, for those who do not no Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc., and are not familiar with textual criticism, it is easy to think that because one is looking at Strong's "lexicon" or Thayer's, one is getting some accurate notion of the Greek (same with the Hebrew).

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member

e-sword.png

An example of some possible shortcoming of E-Sword: if you look at the word in the graphic that is highlighted (προέγνω), it appears to be a word for which the definition is given by Vincent Word Studies (VWS). It isn't actually a word but a form of the verb προγινώσκω. It is essentially a commentary that tells you what "explanation" means without ever telling you anything about the word "explain" or how the two are related but does tell you about other "words" like "demonstration".

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I use esword, as well. You can get more translations than the ones that come with it. Most of the translations are free, but a few cost a bit (NIV and the Amplified Bible are at cost).

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I would have to go for the KJV. It is an extraordinary feat of Jacobean scholarship. I was raised a Catholic, and was amazed at how superior the Anglican's KJV was in terms of its wonderful oratorial magnificence.

It represents a high point in the English language and is a phenomenal literary acheivement.

A

angellous_evangellous

An example of some possible shortcoming of E-Sword: if you look at the word in the graphic that is highlighted (προέγνω), it appears to be a word for which the definition is given by Vincent Word Studies (VWS). It isn't actually a word but a form of the verb προγινώσκω. It is essentially a commentary that tells you what "explanation" means without ever telling you anything about the word "explain" or how the two are related but does tell you about other "words" like "demonstration".

Well done!

:clap2:

NET Bible is one I highly recommend. Just because of its sheer amount of translators notes and textual critical notes (actually names manuscripts that has a particular reading), and it's honesty in translation (as far as I have seen).

roger1440

I do stuff
The Jewish Study Bible is available in the PDF format to download using a file sharing program called FireWire. Granted a printed version would be better, but hey, it’s free. You can’t beat the price. The overall format is pretty much like a Christian Study Bible, maps, charts, foot notes, etc. As of yet, I haven’t been able to find the NIV or NKJV Study Bible in the PDF format. I do have them in the printed format. Many types of books can be found on the internet in the PDF format for free. My little ole measly laptop is a sort of mini library. I can bring up many types of books with a few clicks of a mouse. Back in the olden days I use to go to the library frequently. Now the library comes to me.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Jewish Study Bible is available in the PDF format to download using a file sharing program called FireWire. Granted a printed version would be better, but hey, it’s free. You can’t beat the price. The overall format is pretty much like a Christian Study Bible, maps, charts, foot notes, etc. As of yet, I haven’t been able to find the NIV or NKJV Study Bible in the PDF format. I do have them in the printed format. Many types of books can be found on the internet in the PDF format for free. My little ole measly laptop is a sort of mini library. I can bring up many types of books with a few clicks of a mouse. Back in the olden days I use to go to the library frequently. Now the library comes to me.
Thanks, that's good to know.
I guess the 'real book' is a habit, I am able to quickly look things up as well, oddly faster than online, sometimes. Great advice though.

Rhiamom

Why has nobody yet suggested The Jerusalem Bible? The newer version is the better translation, but the older one has notes. Choose wisely.

Rhiamom

That would be the 1917 version of the JPS Bible, not the 2011 version.

Kolibri

I am loving my New World Translation (2013 Revision). Still getting mine broken in as I am reading thru it. Though I don't know how much I want to 'break it in' as the format I most often use is on my iPad mini!