• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reciting mantras: Japa mala use question.

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
Hi everyone! I intended to buy a 108 beads japa mala for meditation purposes, but I could only get a 45 bead. Anyone can tell me if repeating a mantra 45 times is as effective as 108 times? Or what's the meaning of 45 beads?
The mantra I intend to recite is the Ganesh Mantra:
OM GAM GANAPATAYE NAMAHA SHARANAM GANESHA

I'm not hinduist, I just practice meditation by repeating mantras.
gane.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You sure it's not 54, instead of 45? 108 beaded mantras are pretty easy to find and buy. That said, a 'repetition' of 1 is better than a repetition of 0.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
45 beds alright. I counted them myself when I bought it. There were only those available...
Okay .. it's fine to just chant without a mala too. For Ganesha, I personally us the Ganapati Gayatri ... Ekadantaya Vidmahe Vakratundaya Dhimahe Tanodante Pracodayat

Katja

Do it twice? That'll get you close to 108.

But why is the exact number important to you if you are not Hindu? For that matter, why is that exact mantra important to you if you are not Hindu? Why not invent your own that is more in line with your beliefs?

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
Do it twice? That'll get you close to 108.

But why is the exact number important to you if you are not Hindu? For that matter, why is that exact mantra important to you if you are not Hindu? Why not invent your own that is more in line with your beliefs?

I'm just a curious person who likes to know the meaning of things before getting into any practice that I'm not familiar with. Out of respect, let's say. But I already found the answer I was looking for. Thanks anyway ☺

Katja

I'm just a curious person who likes to know the meaning of things before getting into any practice that I'm not familiar with. Out of respect, let's say. But I already found the answer I was looking for. Thanks anyway ☺
Right, I hope we would all do that. I'm just wondering why you're worried about making it exact if those aren't your beliefs anyway... you can do it any way you want and that has meaning to you, right? Because you're not tied to a certain religion's "rules."

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

You can easily find 108 ones, just a Quick search for "Mala 108" on Amazon brought me a lot of results.
But then it dépends what material you want for your beads .

Never heard of mala with 45 beads tho Oo odd !

Aum Namah Shivaya