• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reccomended books, authors and bible teachers - new and old.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I thought it would be useful to reccomend to each other for our mutual edification book, authors and bible teachers who have been a blessing to you and a help to your growth as a Christian.

I will start with Charles Haddon Spurgeon:
I can reccomend pretty much anything I have read of His but my favourites would have to be holy in Christ which was a revelation to me and the soulwinner.

Also by John Bunyan:
The pilgrims progress; I can't describe the effect that book had on me - i use it as a bible study following all the scripture refernces as I go along, I love it when christians burden rolls off his back and into a sepulchre, I'll always remember the moment i first read it put like that. Also the intercession of Christ and the heavenly footman.

Also the Foxes book of martyrs by John Foxe, The pligrim Church by E.h broadbent, if you haven't read these then they are a must read for any christian I heartily reccomend them.

And basically anything By Dave Hunt especially Judgement day - Israel Islam and the nations, a woman rides the beast and Occult invasion and of course what love is this.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Good thread Paul! Let's see...

Anything by Elizabeth Elliot. Her life's devotion to Christ and the books she's written have greatly shaped my life and desire to serve the Lord. Through Gates of Splendor is wonderful. In it she tells the story of her husband and 4 other missionary men who were killed in Ecuador.

I like Randy Alcorn a lot. His book Safely Home is such an encouragement to live in light of eternity. Here's the link to his site... www.epm.org

There are a lot of authors I love... Spurgeon, A.W. Tozer, Elisabeth Prentiss, Oswald Chambers, and of course I have to mention Dr. Paul Benware. His book The Believer's Payday on the Judgment Seat of Christ is excellent.

My favorite Bible teachers are my Dad;), Alistair Begg ( www.tfl.org ), Ravi Zacharias...he's an amazing apologist ( www.rzim.org ), Spurgeon... his sermons are great, Dr. Erwin Lutzer, Dr. Paul Benware...yeah I've already mentioned him, but he's like a Grandfather to me...I can't help it!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I'll delete this if you'd like, but this was the book I used as a study workbook when I was a Christian, and I still think it's fantastic:

Grasping God's Word

The reviews on amazon say it's a great hermeneutics book, though I haven't a clue what that means.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I'll delete this if you'd like, but this was the book I used as a study workbook when I was a Christian, and I still think it's fantastic:

Grasping God's Word

The reviews on amazon say it's a great hermeneutics book, though I haven't a clue what that means.

It looks interesting. What was it about the book that you liked?
Hermeneutics is the study of the principles of interpretation.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
It looks interesting. What was it about the book that you liked?
Hermeneutics is the study of the principles of interpretation.

Ah, ok that makes sense then. :)

I liked it because it focuses a lot on the various kinds of context (literary, historical, cultural, modern etc), and sort of provides the training wheels and resources for growth for new Christians, or I suppose even experienced ones. From what I remember it sort of holds your hand, but lets you fly on your own at the same time, if that makes sense. The books version of "the interpretive journey" is, I think, insightful. And, I love workbooks.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Ah, ok that makes sense then. :)

I liked it because it focuses a lot on the various kinds of context (literary, historical, cultural, modern etc), and sort of provides the training wheels and resources for growth for new Christians, or I suppose even experienced ones. From what I remember it sort of holds your hand, but lets you fly on your own at the same time, if that makes sense. The books version of "the interpretive journey" is, I think, insightful. And, I love workbooks.

I'll have to add it to my very long list of "books I want to read." I read a book along the same lines in college called Living by the Book. I really enjoyed it and it was very helpful.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Another good book is "in six days: why 50 scientists choose to believe in creation". This the testimony of 50 scientists accross a very broad range of the sciences teaching why they believe the genesis account of creation literally. These are not kooks.

Hope

Princesinha
Mere Christianity (by C.S. Lewis) is definitely at the top of my list of favorite Christian books. Blew me away the first time I read it. But, then, I love most books by C.S. Lewis. ;)

Other favorites are The Sacred Romance by John Eldridge/Brent Curtis and The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey.

Also like Elisabeth Elliott. Amazing woman of God. Passion & Purity is a great book.

Ravi Zacharias is a favorite. I enjoy his books, and hearing him speak.

John Piper. He's awesome.

Alistair Begg. Love Alistair. Not just for his clear, powerful Biblical teaching, but for his enchanting Scottish humor and accent (I'm partial to Scots, having lived in Scotland for a time).

Just recently I've gotten into Charles Spurgeon. He's amazing.

Oh, and if anyone knows who the Christian singer Keith Green is, his biography by his wife Melody Green, No Compromise, is a definite must-read.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Mere Christianity (by C.S. Lewis) is definitely at the top of my list of favorite Christian books. Blew me away the first time I read it. But, then, I love most books by C.S. Lewis. ;)

Other favorites are The Sacred Romance by John Eldridge/Brent Curtis and The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey.

Also like Elisabeth Elliott. Amazing woman of God. Passion & Purity is a great book.

Ravi Zacharias is a favorite. I enjoy his books, and hearing him speak.

John Piper. He's awesome.

Alistair Begg. Love Alistair. Not just for his clear, powerful Biblical teaching, but for his enchanting Scottish humor and accent (I'm partial to Scots, having lived in Scotland for a time).

Just recently I've gotten into Charles Spurgeon. He's amazing.

Oh, and if anyone knows who the Christian singer Keith Green is, his biography by his wife Melody Green, No Compromise, is a definite must-read.

Wow.... We have a lot in common! C.S. Lewis, Elizabeth Elliot, Ravi Zacharias, and Alistair Begg are on my top list of favorites too. I just finished reading Lewis' Letters to Malcolm. I really enjoyed it, although I didn't agree with all his thoughts. I listen to Alistair Begg and Ravi Zacharias all the time! John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life is amazing, and I can't think of an Elizabeth Elliot book I don't like. I wrote her a letter when I was little and she wrote me back! My sister thought she was John the Baptist's mother because her name was Elizabeth, lol.

rocka21

Brother Rock
There are some very mixed reviews about that book Rocka, some hate it and some love it.

Some would call that divisive ..... ;)

kinda sounds like the bible.;)

yeah, if you notice that most of the ones that hate it , did not even read it! LOL

they just spew off " FALSE PROPHET!!" and go on some binny hinn ramble.

and with all them 1 star by them , the book still gets 4 out of 5 stars!:eek:

o well, to me , the book was one of the best i have ever read.

Hope

Princesinha
kinda sounds like the bible.;)

yeah, if you notice that most of the ones that hate it , did not even read it! LOL

they just spew off " FALSE PROPHET!!" and go on some binny hinn ramble.

and with all them 1 star by them , the book still gets 4 out of 5 stars!:eek:

o well, to me , the book was one of the best i have ever read.

While I would never judge the book without having read it, I do have problems with Benny Hinn. But that's another whole topic.....

rocka21

Brother Rock
While I would never judge the book without having read it, I do have problems with Benny Hinn. But that's another whole topic.....

thank you,

believe me, most people have problems with Benny Hinn.

but you can't deny, that he wrote a wonderful book. ( if you read it with an open mind). I also think if someone actually read the book, they may see Hinn in a different light. IMO

joeboonda

Ooh, I like most all the authors mentioned thus far, but no Benny Hinn, no, no, no! Red flag, red flag! Run away, run away! :run:

rocka21

Brother Rock
Ooh, I like most all the authors mentioned thus far, but no Benny Hinn, no, no, no! Red flag, red flag! Run away, run away! :run:

Thanks for making my point! EXACTLY.

see, most people will say run away, but have never read the book.

A

angellous_evangellous

John Elliot

Earle Ellis

Udo Schnelle

Bertrand Russell

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Victor Matthews, Bernard Brandon Scott, John Dominic Crossan, John Spong, John Macquarrie, Kenneth Leech, Henri Nouwen, Murray Bodo, Leonel Mitchell, Sallie McFague, etc.