• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rearm Japan and Germany

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Do you think restrictions will ever be lifted on the military of Japan and Germany? Do you think Japan and Germany will ever be permitted to have nukes?

74x12

Do you think restrictions will ever be lifted on the military of Japan and Germany? Do you think Japan and Germany will ever be permitted to have nukes?
Oh yeah. Japan is rightfully worried about China; so of course. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't already have nukes. And Germany is probably heading that way as well; but under the banner of the EU. Look at what the French president said recently about wanting an EU army.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Japan could be a very strategic location for the Free World. They could thoroughly keep China and North Korea in check.

Shad

Veteran Member

Japan has been rearming for over a decade. Japan has two CVs merely designated as Helicopter Destroyers to bypass treaty. The US has been supporting rearming of Japan to reduce costs, commitments and as auxiliary force as augments for US forces. The treaty has become a straitjacket hindering adaption to modern issues. Ergo bypassing and/or stretching the wording of treaty to it's limit.

Germany and Japan are now bound by the Non-Proliferation treaty so there is a redundancy to the WW2 treaty. Although I doubt the USA would lift the restriction anyways, More so I do not think the governments of either nation nor the populations would support nuclear armament. Germany seems to have a national phobia regarding general rearmament due to the world wars.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They are limited though. After World War II, neither of those countries was allowed to reach full capacity of military strength or have nukes.
That and we are obligated to defend them should they ever be attacked by another foreign power.

I think Japan would eventually be allowed to develop its military back to its former "glory" but Germany I think would be a much harder sell given that they not only started a world war, but two world wars.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
That and we are obligated to defend them should they ever be attacked by another foreign power.

I think Japan would eventually be allowed to develop its military back to its former "glory" but Germany I think would be a much harder sell given that they not only started a world war, but two world wars.
How nice to believe in popular history.

Flankerl

But they have standing armies.

Germany is limited to maximal 370.000 soldiers as per the 2+4 treaty.

Not that it matters much which includes the entire topic. The big majority of Germans are pacifists nowadays so that even UN peacekeeping missions are a controversial topic.

but two world wars.

You know just because it says so on a piece of paper doesn't mean it's true.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Brings back memories of training with the Germans, those Leopards with the beautiful Iron Crosses on them were truly a sight to behold...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't forget that Germany in the 1930s had armament restrictions, too. With the befit of hindsight we can say they weren't a complete success.

That's because the countries which would have enforced such restrictions were letting their own forces wither on the vine and had them scattered all over the world to prop up their bloated but fading empires. When Germany violated the armaments restrictions imposed on them by Versailles, Britain and France were far too impotent to do anything about it. The US was in a similar situation, which is why we learned our lesson after the war and decided to maintain a huge military-industrial complex - just in case.