• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reading the Tao Teh Ching

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I wanted to read up about Zen, but I realized I don't have any books on Zen and I still have an unopened Tao Teh Ching.

But, I only have one translation, should I read more of it, or is just this one fine?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are a bunch of online translations of the Tao Te Ching. In one of my posts in the Taoism Dir is a link. They can be very different.

Edit: it's in my thread about the Tao of Pooh.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Most people who are into it read several translations, since it's not easy to translate. You should just read whatever you have, but if it's one of the super wordy ones that tries to explain everything, be wary.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Here's a free copy of Ron Hogan's freely (and free-wheeling) translation of the Tao Te Ching, (not anything like a word-by-word translation--more like a paraphrase into modern vernacular) that is quite handy for comparisons.

http://www.beatrice.com/TAO.pdf

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
The first copy of the TTC :)D) I got, and my favorite one, is translated by Stephen Mitchell. I didnt realize it when I first read it but, it has a zen/tao bent to it. Nonetheless, I find that to be quite appropriate, given the subject matter.

There is actually a school of Taoism called the Dragon Gate sect, which is a sub school of the Quanzhen or "All True" school of Taoism. The Dragon Gate school synthesizes elements of Buddhism and Confucianism with the Taoism. So I find no problem with the "zen-like" bent on the subject matter.