• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Re-Introduction

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Good Morning All -

I have been away for several months, due to work concerns and others. My apologies, as I left rather abruptly; it was unintentional, and I hope I haven't inconvenienced anyone unduly.

I hope to be able to stay for the forseeable future at this time, and am looking forward to renewing old acquaintenances and making new ones.

I am a Nichiren Shu Buddhist, practicing for 22+ years. I live in Houston, TX. I am married, with one daughter, age 16. My wife is a CRS practitioner, as well as being a Nichiren Shu shami (minister in training).

meogi

Hajimema****e!

I'm actually taking a course on Japanese Buddhism while I'm here in Japan, yours is one we're studying... havn't learned much about it, but I gotta say, the Lotus-Sutra seems pretty complicated (the Buddha is one talkative guy ;))

Pah

Uber all member
Yes, welcome back!!

I have shared some of your experiences when I was stationed in Japan and perhaps some you haven't known. When introduced into an English speaking group, I travelled to the original temple and chanted before the icon there. It was in a room the size of a basketball court and much more intimate than the auditorium sized temple that is new.

I would have learned more but for the poor organization of the English group and my utter lack of anything more than a few phrases in Japanese.

-pah-

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Meogi ( & Pah) -

Konbanwa! If I can be of any service whatsoever, please let me know. I can help find english resource material for almost anything relating to Nichiren Buddhism.
One note: there are a number of different Nichiren schools whose names are quite similar; is your course through Rissho University?

Sunstone -

Engyo is my Dharma name. En means round, or complete; gyo means practice. I take this name as a goal towards which I strive, rather than an award for something already achieved.

Lightkeeper

Welcome back Engyo, we really missed you and I have been asking about you. You have a great deal to add to our discussions.

meogi

One note: there are a number of different Nichiren schools whose names are quite similar; is your course through Rissho University?
No, my course is just an overview of Japanese Buddhism in general and I'm attending Kansai Gaidai University outside of Osaka.

Thanks for the offer to help, I'll definitely contact you if something's got me stumped

robtex

Veteran Member
I like your post nice meeting You. I got to ask, Namaste is normally associated with hinduism as I understand it....kinda of a spirtual greeting not unlike the hewbrew shaolm. What does it mean in buddism?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Robtex -

Namaste means the same in Buddhism, more or less. It means I honor the potentiality for Buddhahood in you, and in all beings I encounter.