• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rational Quote of the Day

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
"From the very construction of a complete work, we are used to declare positively that it must be the effect of some artificer, and not the effect of mere chance." - Epictetus, Moral Discourses, I.VI

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it - even if I have said it - unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)

Peacewise

There is much rationality in these proverbs.

Blessed is the man who finds wisdom,
the man who gains understanding,...

Do not accuse a man for no reason—
when he has done you no harm....

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, [a] get understanding.

"Put away perversity from your mouth;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.

Make level paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm."

Now even if ya don't believe in a deity then surely you've got to accept these are some rational sayings.

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
"Nature has given eyes in which to see, and legs on which to walk. Many of our luxuries have condemned us to weakness, and we have longed ceased to be able to do that which we have long declined to do."

- Seneca

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
--- Thomas Jefferson

MissAlice

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."

_Anatole France

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary.

Stephen Hawking (17 Oct 1988)​

Peacewise

Edward De Bono. "The system will always be defended by those countless people who have enough intellect to defend but not quite enough to innovate."

DarkSun

:eltiT
"This heart within me I can feel, I judge that it exists. This world I can touch, I likewise judge that it exists. There ends all my knowledge; the rest is construction. If I try to seize this self; if I try to define, to summarize it, it is nothing but water slipping through my fingers."
(Albert Camus, The Myth Of Sisyphus & Other Essays)

"To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour." (William Blake)

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death." (Albert Einstein)

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. It was the experience of mystery — even if mixed with fear — that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds: it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity. In this sense, and only this sense, I am a deeply religious man." (Albert Einstein)

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]“The only religion that has not been invented, and that has in it every evidence of divine originality, is pure and simple Deism. It must have been the first, and will probably be the last, that man believes”[/FONT]

Thomas Paine
The Age of Reason

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
"This heart within me I can feel, I judge that it exists. This world I can touch, I likewise judge that it exists. There ends all my knowledge; the rest is construction. If I try to seize this self; if I try to define, to summarize it, it is nothing but water slipping through my fingers."
(Albert Camus, The Myth Of Sisyphus & Other Essays)

"To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour." (William Blake)

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death." (Albert Einstein)

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. It was the experience of mystery — even if mixed with fear — that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds: it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity. In this sense, and only this sense, I am a deeply religious man." (Albert Einstein)

Most excellent quotes. I very much approve.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably
by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for
the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot
be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime
in this country is closely connected with this.
-- Albert Einstein, "My First Impression of the U.S.A.", 1921

(Replace 'Prohibition' with our current war on drugs and you get the same result)

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
"Seek not good from without: seek it within yourselves, or you will never find it."

- Epictetus, Moral Discourses, III.XXIV.215

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow.
Anais Nin​

DarkSun

"I begin with the principle that all men are bores. Surely no one will prove himself so great a bore as to contradict me in this." (Soren Kierkegaard)

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." (Mahatma Gandhi)

"Peace is not the absence of chaos or conflict, but rather finding yourself in the midst of that chaos and remaining calm in your heart." (Mr. John Mroz)

“For peace is not mere absence of war, but is a virtue that springs from, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice.” (Baruch Spinoza)

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” (Nelson Mandela)

"An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so." (Mahatma Gandhi)

“In human freedom in the philosophical sense I am definitely a disbeliever. Everybody acts not only under external compulsion but also in accordance with inner necessity. Schopenhauer’s saying, that "a man can do as he will, but not will as he will," has been an inspiration to me since my youth up, and a continual consolation and unfailing well-spring of patience in the face of the hardships of life, my own and others’. This feeling mercifully mitigates the sense of responsibility which so easily becomes paralyzing, and it prevents us from taking ourselves and other people too seriously; it conduces to a view of life in which humor, above all, has its due place.” (Albert Einstein)

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

DarkSun

"Fighting for peace is like f***king for chastity." (Anonymous)

"When someone cares for another enough... sometimes... giving our life is the least we can do. And maybe that's what makes us human." (Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus)

"The will is everything. If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely. Are you ready to begin?" (Batman Begins)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it - even if I have said it - unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." (Siddhartha Gautama, "Buddha")

"In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand... and we label it 'reality'. But knowledge and understanding are ambiguous. That reality could be an illusion. All humans live with the wrong assumptions. Isn't that another way of looking at it?" (Uchiha, Itachi)

"I begin with the principle that all men are bores. Surely no one will prove himself so great a bore as to contradict me in this." (Soren Kierkegaard)

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." (Mahatma Gandhi)

"Peace is not the absence of chaos or conflict, but rather finding yourself in the midst of that chaos and remaining calm in your heart." (Mr. John Mroz)

“For peace is not mere absence of war, but is a virtue that springs from, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice.” (Baruch Spinoza)

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” (Nelson Mandela)

"When someone cares for another enough... sometimes... giving our life is the least we can do. And maybe that's what makes us human." (Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus)

"A long time ago, Nunally, Suzaku, and I talked about something. We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was Suzaku that said that the shape of happiness might resemble glass. His reasoning made sense. He said that even though you don't usually notice it, its still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." (Code Geass, R2)

"Lelouch, do you know why the snow is white? It is because it has forgotten what colour it is supposed to be." (Code Geass)

"You traveled the world... Now you must journey inwards... to what you really fear... it's inside you... there is no turning back.... The will is everything. If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely. Are you ready to begin?" (Batman Begins)

"As a man, I'm flesh and blood. I can be ignored, I can be destroyed but as a symbol... as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting." (Batman Begins)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you." (Batman Begins)

"They say that if one forgoes all attachment, one will never suffer again. But if you happen to do that, do you ever truly live?" (Forbidden Kingdom)

"Even in the darkest of times, a man may sleep... but the man who inflicts the suffering... He may never rest." (Fullmetal Alchemist)

"To the well-organised mind, death is just another path in life: one that we all must take." (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling)

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." (Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, JK Rowling.)

"The secret is how to die... From the beginning of time, the secret has always been how to die." (The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown)

"Destiny is the name given in retrospect to choices which have dramatic consequences." (JK Rowling in an interview.)

"If you are lonely when you are alone, then you are in bad company." (Jean-Paul Sartre)

“Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.” (Jean-Paul Sartre)

"We all conform. Because swimming alone at sea is not the kind of freedom we actually want." (random scripple in a bathroom stall)

“Listen to the cry of a woman in labor at the hour of giving birth -look at the dying man's struggle at his last extremity, and then tell me whether something that begins and ends thus could be intended for enjoyment.” (Soren Kierkegaard)

Last edited:

DarkSun

" We talked about what would happen if we died here, remember... A lot of people would be sad... But that's a subjective opinion, let's look at it objectively... If I died, the world would continue to move along as if nothing had happened. But when the small part, in this case me, dies, the body remains...

Water, carbon, ammonia, lime, phosphorous, salt, sodium, magnesium, fluorine, iron, aluminum, and other trace substances. The body is only a combination of those simple elements. Nothing more. We are destined to be decomposed by bacteria and become nutrients for plants. If you follow the process further, those plants nourish herbivores. And those herbivores nourish carnivores; and although we lose awareness... our lives keep moving through the system. The great flow that maintains the universe; call it the cycle of life; the flow of nature.

Each one of us is just a small part of that current: one in the all. And yet without all the individual ones, the all can't exist. This universe flows by following grander laws than we can even imagine. To recognise that flow, and work within it: to decompose and recreate. That is Alchemy."

(Fullmetal Alchemist [original series], episode 28, All is One, One is All.)

Last edited: