• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rational Quote of the Day

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
“In those parts of the world where learning and science has prevailed, miracles have ceased; but in those parts of it as are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue”
Ethan Allen

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"This revelation has made it certain that two and one makes three, and that one is not three nor can three be one. We can never be so certain of any prophecy, or of any miracle, or the design of any miracle, as we are from the revelation of nature, i.e., Nature's God, that two and two are equal to four. Miracles or prophecies might frighten us out of our wits; might scare us to death; might induce us to lie, to say that we believe that two and two make five. But we should not believe it. We should know the contrary."

John Adams, Second President of the United States
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
“My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” -Thomas Paine

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." -Benjamin Franklin

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.
George Bernard Shaw

Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams

(my favorite)
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.
Delos B. McKown

I am beyond awesome.
Me

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intelle[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]ct has intended us to forgo their use.”[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Galileo Galilei[/SIZE][/FONT]

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"The creation is the Bible of the Deist. He there reads, in the handwriting of the Creator himself, the certainty of His existence and the immutability of His power, and all other Bibles and Testaments are to him forgeries."

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Thomas Paine[/SIZE][/FONT]

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

Thomas Jefferson

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fic[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]titious miracles."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]John Adams[/SIZE][/FONT]

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense. "

Carl Sagan

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
“Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose objections are based not on reasoning but on doctrinaire adherence to religious principles”

James D. Watson

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.
The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."

Lazarus Long

(Robert Anson Heinlein)

TurkeyOnRye

It is true what I have heard many say; that science is practically religion. Not nearly as insane as many orthodox or unorthodox religions of today, but in a very basic way, they are one and the same in almost every respect. There are systems, higher authority figures (professors, priests etc.), both try to explain the nature of reality, and they both stand on absolute principles. Today's science is tomorrow's mythology. Indeed many "skeptics" today renounce their own reason on the presumption that the scientist they read about in a scientific journal actually has a clue about what's going on in the universe. In my opinion, Zen is the most reliable pointer we have to what is ultimately true. It is without a doubt more scientific than traditional western science.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

Stephen Hawking

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
"Content yourself with being a lover of wisdom, a seeker of the truth. Return and return again to what is essential and worthy"

"Do not try to seem wise to others."

Epictetus

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
It is true what I have heard many say; that science is practically religion. Not nearly as insane as many orthodox or unorthodox religions of today, but in a very basic way, they are one and the same in almost every respect. There are systems, higher authority figures (professors, priests etc.), both try to explain the nature of reality, and they both stand on absolute principles. Today's science is tomorrow's mythology. Indeed many "skeptics" today renounce their own reason on the presumption that the scientist they read about in a scientific journal actually has a clue about what's going on in the universe. In my opinion, Zen is the most reliable pointer we have to what is ultimately true. It is without a doubt more scientific than traditional western science.
Wait a sec'- whose quote is this?