• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far as I've heard, there is no single theory of the motivations for rape that has gained an overwhelming consensus among researchers. Some of the motivations that have been proposed, however, include desire for power, sadism, anger, sexual gratification, and evolutionary forces.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So far as I've heard, there is no single theory of the motivations for rape that has gained an overwhelming consensus among researchers. Some of the motivations that have been proposed, however, include desire for power, sadism, anger, sexual gratification, and evolutionary forces.

And quite honestly, it is unlikely that only one possible motivation will describe the reasowhy EVERYONE who tries it tries it.

But yeah, anger and power have been thrown down a lot.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Lack of sex makes me happy :D.

Rape is just emotional and it stems from a fetish actually. It is about forcefully obtaining sex and falls into sadism/voyeurism oddly. Sort of a combination of the two but the technical term is Biastophilia. It is very common in countries like Japan to have these things glorified almost. It is a common fetish.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Again, assuming never anyone has ever raped someone else becaue of simple unsatisfied sexual urge alone is simply naive.

People that steal internet conection dont do it because they hate the user they steal it from. Assuming rape can never be done with simple apathy and great sexual urge is too simplistic.

Many ssinle motivations for the same act.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again, assuming never anyone has ever raped someone else becaue of simple unsatisfied sexual urge alone is simply naive.

I don't think an unsatisfied sexual urge alone can possibly lead to rape because i believe the process of rape inherently requires one to at least contain some of the other characteristics often associated with rape.

For one to be able to both get off and obtain sexual gratification through or despite of the observable and severe suffering of another human being, i think there's got to be more going on in there than just lack of satisfaction to their sexual urge.

A

angellous_evangellous

Do you think lack of sex can ever lead to rape?

Certainly. But so can anything else, if combined with the other influences that would cause a person to do that.... which would be different for everyone.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I don't think an unsatisfied sexual urge alone can possibly lead to rape because i believe the process of rape inherently requires one to at least contain some of the other characteristics often associated with rape.

For one to be able to both get off and obtain sexual gratification through or despite of the observable and severe suffering of another human being, i think there's got to be more going on in there than just lack of satisfaction to their sexual urge.

Sure, but extreme lack of empathy could be that. Then the nerve endings oni the appropiate places can do the rest.

I dont think only sexual urge is the frequent motivation, but I dont know. I do think in some cases it must be, mostly because of the sheer amount of humans and time since rape was biologically possible for us.

Me Myself

Back to my username
No.

a lack of respect, empathy, compassion and self control are what lead to rape.

Not mutually exclusive. I completely agree a lack of empathy compassion and self control can lead to rape, but all those things without a sexual urge to do so are not a motivation but a lack of restraint.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I think lack of sex could be a contributing factor. But I would think there need to be other factors at work.

Far and away the largest factor involved in rape is power/control.

Just in case anyone misinterprets.
1) There is no justification for rape.
2) Take most people and add a lack of sex, and they won't become rapists. There has to be other factors at play. Otherwise, half the married men in Australia would be on a rampage.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I think lack of sex could be a contributing factor. But I would think there need to be other factors at work.

Far and away the largest factor involved in rape is power/control.

Just in case anyone misinterprets.
1) There is no justification for rape.
2) Take most people and add a lack of sex, and they won't become rapists. There has to be other factors at play. Otherwise, half the married men in Australia would be on a rampage.

While I appreciate the apologetics, what I find disingenuous is the assumption that a seemingly innocuous condition is the motivator for a violent crime. It's why there is a large concern that discussing a "lack of sex" will result in some form of justification.

Here is what the WHO lists as primary motivators for rape:

beliefs in family honor and sexual purity;
ideologies of male sexual entitlement;
weak legal sanctions for sexual violence.

Source: Rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe it's a stretch to assume "lack of sex" leads to "sexual gratification" which leads to "power/entitlement." I don't see any indicators to suggest that rape is ever sexually motivated. Just that the means to violate and dominate another human being without informed consent are sexual means.

My findings and peer work in this field has resulted in sexual gratification being an ancillary position, and not any primary motivator by any means.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
While I appreciate the apologetics, what I find disingenuous is the assumption that a seemingly innocuous condition is the motivator for a violent crime. It's why there is a large concern that discussing a "lack of sex" will result in some form of justification.

Here is what the WHO lists as primary motivators for rape:

Source: Rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe it's a stretch to assume "lack of sex" leads to "sexual gratification" which leads to "power/entitlement." I don't see any indicators to suggest that rape is ever sexually motivated. Just that the means to violate and dominate another human being without informed consent are sexual means.

My findings and peer work in this field has resulted in sexual gratification being an ancillary position, and not any primary motivator by any means.

Hmmm...maybe just call me 'wrong' rather than disingenuous.

Couple of things here...
Firstly, my remarks are pretty much off-the-cuff. I'm more than happy to bow to anyone who has actually studied the field in any detail, whether from an amateur or professional point of view.

Secondly, I don't in any way believe lack of sex is the primary motivator behind any rape. I said it could be a contributing factor.

The apologetics were there because I figured if I said 'Yes, lack of sex could be a contributing factor' it would be misconstrued as meaning 'Men rape due to lack of sex, at least sometimes', which isn't really what I meant.

As a (very) clumsy example, an aggressive sociopath might be seen as a ticking time-bomb in terms of an aggravated assault/rape. But whether he rapes tonight, tomorrow, or next week could be influenced by a wide variety of factors. Anything causing him heightened frustration or distress could increase his chances of committing the crime, as could opportunity, and a bunch of other things.

I guess what I am hypothesizing is that a lack of recent sexual gratification might be a source of heightened frustration. The fact that as an aggressive sociopath he is after control, and lacks empathy, etc are the primary factors in the rape. But if you looked at what contributed to him raping someone at that particular time, I could see lack of sexual gratification as playing a role.

:shrugs:

Like I said, though, this is just how I currently think on a topic I am not particularly educated about. As a father with two daughters, and a wife who works in mental health...it's not really a topic I like to even think about.

And yeah, I understand the contradiction in that.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hmmm...maybe just call me 'wrong' rather than disingenuous.

Not you. The argument in the OP and the supporting responses.

Couple of things here...
Firstly, my remarks are pretty much off-the-cuff. I'm more than happy to bow to anyone who has actually studied the field in any detail, whether from an amateur or professional point of view.

Secondly, I don't in any way believe lack of sex is the primary motivator behind any rape. I said it could be a contributing factor.

Unfortunately, this presumes that rape has anything to do with sex. It's a common misconception, that rape has a sexual connotation to it because it's listed as a sexual crime.

The apologetics were there because I figured if I said 'Yes, lack of sex could be a contributing factor' it would be misconstrued as meaning 'Men rape due to lack of sex, at least sometimes', which isn't really what I meant.

As a (very) clumsy example, an aggressive sociopath might be seen as a ticking time-bomb in terms of an aggravated assault/rape. But whether he rapes tonight, tomorrow, or next week could be influenced by a wide variety of factors. Anything causing him heightened frustration or distress could increase his chances of committing the crime, as could opportunity, and a bunch of other things.

Perhaps if any of these other factors that are only contributors were listed as points of discussion, I might re-consider. But as of yet, I have never heard of anyone raping anyone else because they didn't feel rested enough, they didn't have enough money, they didn't have enough love, etc. The point of debate focused on motivations for rape tend to bring up the idea 1) that people must have sex, 2) that people must be sexually available, and 3) that this idea must be entertained.

We are injecting an entitlement mentality that encroaches upon other people's bodily security.

I guess what I am hypothesizing is that a lack of recent sexual gratification might be a source of heightened frustration. The fact that as an aggressive sociopath he is after control, and lacks empathy, etc are the primary factors in the rape. But if you looked at what contributed to him raping someone at that particular time, I could see lack of sexual gratification as playing a role.

:shrugs:

I don't. :shrug:

Sexual gratification could mean masturbation to orgasm. If we are to assume sexual gratification means engaging sexually with another person, we are assuming sexual gratification by someone else carries with it an entitlement. IOW, "I'm horny" should be logically followed by "YOU, give me what I want."

It's different than "I'm hungry, I need to eat." Or more specifically, "I'm horny, I need to orgasm."
Like I said, though, this is just how I currently think on a topic I am not particularly educated about. As a father with two daughters, and a wife who works in mental health...it's not really a topic I like to even think about.

And yeah, I understand the contradiction in that.

No worries. It's a disturbing topic, regardless of gender, IMO. I myself have three children and a grown child, one daughter and three sons. I have family who has worked in the field of counseling and crisis management, and I have done peer work with rape survivors. I am a survivor myself.

The experience is far different than what people generally assume.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Henry lee lucas.

A psychopathic killer who consistently confessed to crimes such as cannibalism and killing Jimmy Hoffa, recanted numbers of confessions, and then offered more confessions on top of his changing stories?

What studies have been done on Henry Lee Lucas that legitimately suggested he raped from a lack of sexual gratification?

Titanic

Henry Lee Lucas said it was the reason he started his killing spree. In his own word's he said lack of sex was always his biggest downfall and if it took killing to get it that was what it would take. Shocking i bet to you?