• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ramayana Study Guide?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste all,

I've been wishing a lot lately that there were a set of books or study guide materials related to the Ramayana that would allow a group of interested Hindus to gather, read, discuss and deepen their knowledge/appreciation of their faith as it relates to different topics in the epic. Similar to what Christians might call Bible study.

There are Gita study sessions which I have attended, but they haven't been very interesting. The discussion never goes further then what the text is saying. There's no exploration of themes as they relate to every day life and no discussion on historical or social context. It's more just a recitation, rather than study.

I have tried doing an internet search but really only seem to find Sparknotes style booklets that just break down the story for the purposes of students doing book reports and the like.

I'd thought about trying to make me own materials, but that feels like a massive undertaking. Then there's the challenge of getting a group together and getting everyone to read the same translation/version.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
There should be Ramayana study guides. Unfortunately, most see it as just a study of Lord Rama rescuing Sita, when it is in fact littered with philosophical and theological gems throughout the epic!

I'd join you if i was in your area :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Each line of Tulsidas' Sri Ramacharit Manas is a gem. It is believed that Lord Shiva weighed Sri Ramacharit Manas against all the Hindu scriptures including BhagawadGita, Upanishads and the Vedas when the Varanasi brahmins challenged it and Tulsi Das' Sri Ramacharit Manas came out heavier than all the other books.

You can get the Romanised version of Sri Ramacharit Manas as well as the English translation in PDF format here:
http://cincinnatitemple.com/articles/Sri-Ram-Charit-Manas-Hindi-Text-Eng-Translation.pdf

The book was originally published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur and Amazon says that it is out of print.

sealchan

Same question for the Mahabharata...

I'm pursuing a study of the Bible but I see the Mahabharata as my other Bible and I hope that I will find supporting material (in English) to pursue that as well. If not, well then maybe I will write something myself one day!

sealchan

There should be Ramayana study guides. Unfortunately, most see it as just a study of Lord Rama rescuing Sita, when it is in fact littered with philosophical and theological gems throughout the epic!

I'd join you if i was in your area :)

Who are the people in the image?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Who are the people in the image?

Krishna in yellow, his older brother Balarama in blue. The other two children are probably their friends. Given the stories, I'd say the girl is a gopi (milkmaid) and the boy is a gopa (cowherd). Krishna's family were wealthy cattle herders.

ajay0

I would say it is the Yoga vasistha of the Ramayana that is truly worthy of study and discussion groups.

It is a philosophical discussion that takes place between the fourteen year old prince Rama and the sage Vasistha over the nature of reality and the mind. This has had great influence all over the world and continues to do so. It is also used as a reference material by spiritual masters in vedanta.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I just had a radical thought, maybe nothing more than a brainfart. Though the Ramayana precedes the Bhagavad Gita, it may very well be that the Ramayana is putting into action what the Bhagavad Gita philosophically teaches, i.e. surrender, the greater good, duty, sorrow that is only illusion, etc. Sort of like the teacher saying "here do this", the student doesn't know why, then the teacher explains after the student accomplishes the task(s). Sometimes explaining something only makes sense after you've done it.

No? Well den, da heck witchya... I tried. :shrug:

:D

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Each line of Tulsidas' Sri Ramacharit Manas is a gem. It is believed that Lord Shiva weighed Sri Ramacharit Manas against all the Hindu scriptures including BhagawadGita, Upanishads and the Vedas when the Varanasi brahmins challenged it and Tulsi Das' Sri Ramacharit Manas came out heavier than all the other books.

You can get the Romanised version of Sri Ramacharit Manas as well as the English translation in PDF format here:
http://cincinnatitemple.com/articles/Sri-Ram-Charit-Manas-Hindi-Text-Eng-Translation.pdf

The book was originally published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur and Amazon says that it is out of print.

I like the idea of using the Ramacharitmanas as the study version. Easier to get multiple copies with translations as opposed to English prose translations of Valmiki. The only part I would regret not having is the Tulsidas does not include the "abandoning" of Sita at the end. Even if it is a later addition I think there are important religious and philosophical lesson buried in that part worth exploring. Perhaps if I put together a study group I can add it on at the end.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa

I've found a version on amazon that has a English translation although not the transliteration. I can read Devanagari so that not an issue luckily. I'm going to experiment a little and see if I can come up with a good study process with it.

sealchan

Shantanu

I would say it is the Yoga vasistha of the Ramayana that is truly worthy of study and discussion groups.

It is a philosophical discussion that takes place between the fourteen year old prince Rama and the sage Vasistha over the nature of reality and the mind. This has had great influence all over the world and continues to do so. It is also used as a reference material by spiritual masters in vedanta.
Thank you for this. I did not know that Yoga Vasistha is part of Ramayana. It is incredible that the 14 year old prince was ready for such a study and discussion.