• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

radiation from technology harmful?

satyaroop

is wifi radiation dangerous?
is cellphone radiation harmful/dangerous?
is cooking with microwave ovens harmful?
specially for young children? pets too...?
if you believe they are harmful, what measures have you taken to protect yourself? limit time spent with these appliances?

googling the topic, some say it's harmful, others say it's a myth

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I believe cellphone problems are unresolved, but I believe if there is possible some indication that excessive use close to the head may be an issue.

I believe the modern microwave ovens are safe.

I believe their ok as long as you keep them out of the microwave.

I would go with the better science references.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Mostly radiation that we are exposed to is too low to know if there are any affects.
We usually only find out for sure many years later.

But do not dry the cat in the microwave. It has been done and it was very dead and quite inedible.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
a690e38e9186c5437a5bbb19799e296e--ruins-eye.jpg

Pray to your new God

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
if you believe they are harmful, what measures have you taken to protect yourself? limit time spent with these appliances?

Radiation is everywhere, so the only way to know if its harmful is if we can measure its effects over time. People who work around nuclear reactors have devices that measure not just brightness of radiation but the amount over periods of time. Bananas are radioactive. All warm objects radiate a tiny bit. The difference with microwaves is that they are the right size to be absorbed by water and can break some chemical bonds. This is not normally a big deal. Body cells are constantly dying and being replaced, anyway.

What I do with microwave ovens is I stand back a few feet while things are cooking. The oven has shielding, but adding distance decreases any radiation that escapes. Its not really necessary, but I do it anyway. Cell phones and wifi are not on microwave frequencies and are less likely to interact with water, and they are much less intense than an oven. Microwaves tend to bounce around until they hit water where they are absorbed as heat, but they can be absorbed by other things. There are youtube videos where microwave ovens are used to melt rocks. In a situation like that I would stand much further away from the oven, because more microwave energy would escape (there being no water to absorb it in the oven). An empty microwave oven must never be turned on, and if it is on turn it off. There should always be water in the oven, so that the microwaves will be absorbed and will not heat up the microwave's electronics or other objects. Most foods have at least some water in them. Never completely cover the food in metal. For example if you have a recipe that calls for use of foil, make sure some of the food is exposed. Don't use an aluminum foil covered potato. Ovens are not the most powerful microwave devices. If you are in a high powered microwave transmitter station and for some reason get a high dose of microwaves you will die pretty quickly, and the first parts of you to be cooked will be your eyes because of their watery content and testicles if you have any.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think most of these are safe apart from cell phones when used by children, since their brains are still developing. And although I haven't come across any evidence indicating a real problem, I'm not sure if there are any studies to say otherwise - that is, studies including cell phones used regularly from a young age into adulthood. I know there have been some alarms raised but any evidence has usually been disputed by others. We do know that children are using them at even younger ages and with quite high usage but often they will be texting rather than speaking with them.

Bob the Unbeliever

Radiation is everywhere, so the only way to know if its harmful is if we can measure its effects over time. People who work around nuclear reactors have devices that measure not just brightness of radiation but the amount over periods of time. Bananas are radioactive. All warm objects radiate a tiny bit. The difference with microwaves is that they are the right size to be absorbed by water and can break some chemical bonds. This is not normally a big deal. Body cells are constantly dying and being replaced, anyway.

What I do with microwave ovens is I stand back a few feet while things are cooking. The oven has shielding, but adding distance decreases any radiation that escapes. Its not really necessary, but I do it anyway. Cell phones and wifi are not on microwave frequencies and are less likely to interact with water, and they are much less intense than an oven. Microwaves tend to bounce around until they hit water where they are absorbed as heat, but they can be absorbed by other things. There are youtube videos where microwave ovens are used to melt rocks. In a situation like that I would stand much further away from the oven, because more microwave energy would escape (there being no water to absorb it in the oven). An empty microwave oven must never be turned on, and if it is on turn it off. There should always be water in the oven, so that the microwaves will be absorbed and will not heat up the microwave's electronics or other objects. Most foods have at least some water in them. Never completely cover the food in metal. For example if you have a recipe that calls for use of foil, make sure some of the food is exposed. Don't use an aluminum foil covered potato. Ovens are not the most powerful microwave devices. If you are in a high powered microwave transmitter station and for some reason get a high dose of microwaves you will die pretty quickly, and the first parts of you to be cooked will be your eyes because of their watery content and testicles if you have any.

All true, except for specifics (physics).

What microwave radiation really "wants" to do? Is interact with hydrogen atoms. Water is mostly hydrogen, so...

But. Sugar is also mostly hydrogen, or more accurately, it's a hydrocarbon with oxygen attachments. :)

So. Sugar will also happily absorb microwave radiation too.

As will oil. But lighter oils seem to work better--however that may simply be because they are less dense, and how quickly something heats up is a function of density (among other things).

Microwave also loves to interact with metal. Depending on the shape and composition? The interaction can be simple heat (as is the case with hydrogen atoms) or it can induce electricity.

Another thing microwaves cheerfully interact with? Phosphor compounds. One of the amusing things to do with an old microwave (that you do not mind damaging) is put a compact fluorescent bulb in there-- it'll light up as if plugged in.

But wait! It gets better! Take a broken fluorescent bulb-- or rather, the pieces of white-coated glass (CAUTION! TOXIC! DO NOT GET CUT WITH THIS-- the wounds are very difficult to treat, and do not heal properly!) I have done this latter one: pieces into a glass bowl. A styrofoam cup of water in the corner (just for safety to the oven mechanism itself). Cook. The glass shards will light up beautifully! And they don't even get warm. It's kind of erie-- your mind knows these shards are not in any way visibly connected to the electrical mains, yet they glow as if they were.

Microwave radiation is kinda fun, actually. If you look into the physics of how it's created? It's basically a whistle--only instead of air? Free electrons are used instead-- these hammer a piece of specially treated metal alloy (typically tungsten), which then emits radiation in the microwave frequencies.

Pretty cool.