• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radha from a historical point of view

Vrindavana Das

...but it caught my eye that Viśākha as a constellation might be equated to she of the same name among the varistha gopis. There appears to be a great deal of astrological significance in the rasa lila.

Of course, the Rg Parishista (āśvalāyana-gṛhya-pariśiṣṭa?) as I understand it is a late text.

Viśāka is one of the eight principal Gopīs. :yes:

Interpreting the verse to mean Rādhā/Mādhava are constellations among(?) people...:thud:

Vrindavana Das

I also just learnt that Srimati Radhika was Sri Krishnas advisor and childhood friend. What a wonderful holy relationship ! :p

Rādhā, is one year older to Kṛṣṇa. After Her birth, She did not open eyes for one whole year. Her parents (Vriśbhānu Mahārāj and Kirtī) were worried that something is wrong with their Girl.

Nanda Mahārāj, the father of Kṛṣṇa and Vriśbhānu Mahārāj, the father of Rādhā, were old time friends.

After Kṛṣṇa was born a year later, one day, Nanda Mahārāj and Yaśodā came to visit Vriśbhānu Mahārāj and Kirtī at their home.

Baby Kṛṣṇa crawled around in their house. Crawling, He reached the room where Rādhā was lying in a cradle. Helped Himself up, taking support of the cradle, He looked inside the cradle.

It was then, first time in one year after birth, that Rādhā opened Her big beautiful eyes. The first thing She opened Her eyes to and saw, was the beautiful face of Her beloved - Kṛṣṇa.

Last edited:
I am not so sure how Radharani developed, actually. I just accept Her as part and parcel of the spiritual narrative coming in line with Krishna. Many say her name comes from 'aradhana' which means 'prayer' or 'worship' in Sanskrit.

I was taught that many people in Vrindavan worship Srimati Radhika to come to Krishna. But it is in the Gaudiya lineage where they worship Krishna to come to the feet of Srimati Radharani. :)

Probably just as historically Krishna came to be identified both as an incarnation of Lord Vishnu AND Lord Vishnu Himself, Radharani also became associated with Lakshmidevi, the Supreme and Divine Feminine Principle of Divinity.

Although the Supreme Lord is the All-Beautiful, the All-Attractive, the Beauty of Srimati Radharani attracts the Lord Himself. Although many beings worship God as the Supreme, it is the ground that the Goddess walks on that He Himself worships. :p