• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist Ásatrú?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I have been doing an offering (not ceremonially) of an incense daily, while giving thanks to Odin. I also light my candle once daily, as well, for a few hours at night. I am allergic to alcohol so it is never in my house lol. Hopefully the Gods will appreciate me in that regard ;).

Did you write your own prayers and chants? Or do you use a format?

I almost feel like I am making this up as I go along, and that just doesn't seem right to me haha.

Well, seeing as there's such a long gap between us and the lost household rituals of our pre-Christian ancestors, we've got little other choice.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm ashamed to say that I only do them once or twice a week, or when it hits me. I don't ordinarily drink alcohol, but If I went home every night and popped open a Sam Adams, each of those times would be a toast and an offering. But I light the candles on the altar more frequently, mostly because I light candles all over the house for ambiance. And I say prayers and chants often. I say some prayers in the morning when I put on my hammer pendant.

Ok, I said I would post up a picture of my altar so here it is. You know, because I am allowed to derail my own thread, lol.

fc76mb.jpg

I will be replacing the Goblet with a drinking horn as soon as I can afford it, I found some I would like, but gotta wait.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, I said I would post up a picture of my altar so here it is. You know, because I am allowed to derail my own thread, lol.

fc76mb.jpg

I will be replacing the Goblet with a drinking horn as soon as I can afford it, I found some I would like, but gotta wait.

Very nice! :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been doing an offering (not ceremonially) of an incense daily, while giving thanks to Odin. I also light my candle once daily, as well, for a few hours at night. I am allergic to alcohol so it is never in my house lol. Hopefully the Gods will appreciate me in that regard ;).

Did you write your own prayers and chants? Or do you use a format?

I almost feel like I am making this up as I go along, and that just doesn't seem right to me haha.

The Gods are pleased with any devotion.

I found a bunch of sites on the 'net that have prayers, poems, chants, and such. I follow them. I've copied the text of some of them, and formatted them into little 4x6" Word pages. One of the benefits of having OCPD is being neat and organized. :D

Asatru Teutonic Prayers
Prayers and Blessings of Odinism
norse prayers | Tumblr
Northern Tradition Paganism: Prayers & Rituals
Prayers

I just did an offering. I used a bottle of Sam Adams Winter Lager. Like I said, I rarely drink, so this is kind of hitting me, even though half the bottle was offered to the gods and spirits. I'm a 200 lb lightweight. :eek:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, so now that we've completely derailed the thread, let me put my money where my mouth is. Here is my shrine. Remember, I told you it's mostly printed internet pics. ;) On the left is my little shield and sword. The brass cup and bowl will be replaced by a horn and wooden bowl. I printed and framed a 'thurisaz' rune, as was suggested somewhere. And there are the 3 oak branches, and the hammer. Oh, and my little prayer cards. Someday I'll memorize them.

Nov 17 2014.JPG

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Ok, so now that we've completely derailed the thread, let me put my money where my mouth is. Here is my shrine. Remember, I told you it's mostly printed internet pics. ;) On the left is my little shield and sword. The brass cup and bowl will be replaced by a horn and wooden bowl. I printed and framed a 'thurisaz' rune, as was suggested somewhere. And there are the 3 oak branches, and the hammer. Oh, and my little prayer cards. Someday I'll memorize them.

View attachment 6881

That's an awesome altar! I love that you incorporated family photos. I was actually thinking about getting more photos of family, I don't have enough sadly.

Hmmm, I think I am going to create an Altar sharing thread in the Pagan DIR.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. It's simple. :) I keep thinking about some other icons, kind of abstract ones like in that other photo, but I can't carve worth a damn. So I went with pictures. With the exception of my parents' picture, all the others I found on the 'net, saved them, then printed them on glossy photo paper with Windows print function. It's really easy. I think the altar thread is a good idea. There is always a Hindu altar thread there, but it would be great to see Pagan and Heathen altars.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Thanks. It's simple. :) I keep thinking about some other icons, kind of abstract ones like in that other photo, but I can't carve worth a damn. So I went with pictures. With the exception of my parents' picture, all the others I found on the 'net, saved them, then printed them on glossy photo paper with Windows print function. It's really easy. I think the altar thread is a good idea. There is always a Hindu altar thread there, but it would be great to see Pagan and Heathen altars.

Your wish has been granted haha. The thread is in the Neopagan DIR. I think I am going to end up having lots of statues lol. I really love these bronze ones. Probably make a small shrine for the other Aesir. Then I can have a pantheon shrine area, and a ritual area where I can place whom I am dedicating to, for whichever reason. Be a while before I get them all (60$ a piece plus shipping). Gunna start using the printer at work a lot :p. Not like I work at work......