• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism: What up *****?

Warren Clark

Informer
Does it not sound offensive to people when colored americans call each other eachother's "*****","******",etc.
Something about black people calling eachother or anyone ***** is offensive in my opinion. I don't understand why they say it or when and where it became acceptable.

[i realize there is a filter for this word.]
Just know I am trying to discuss the 'n' word in its slang form.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think it's been reclaimed since about the '60s or '70s. It started with the more militant types, I believe. I don't have a problem with it. Would seem hypocritical if I did, since I call myself a queer. "F----t" and "tranny" have been reclaimed to a certain extent, too.

(Funny how "tranny" isn't censored.)

I'm guessing you're white. A lot of members of non-marginalized groups don't understand reappropriation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

Last edited:

Warren Clark

Informer
I think it's been reclaimed since about the '60s or '70s. It started with the more militant types, I believe. I don't have a problem with it. Would seem hypocritical if I did, since I call myself a queer. "F----t" and "tranny" have been reclaimed to a certain extent, too.

(Funny how "tranny" isn't censored.)

I'm guessing you're white. A lot of members of non-marginalized groups don't understand reappropriation: Reappropriation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... :shrug: derogatory terms such as f----t makes me cringe. and im gay...

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I don't care that some blacks use the word.

What I do care about is how it's okay to use insults with the word " white" in front. Like white *****. Or how it's okay among the black community, at least where I'm at, to stereotype whites and other races.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I used to work for a black guy who used to call all his employees his "you-know-whats" He was such a ******* ******.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does it not sound offensive to people when colored americans call each other eachother's "*****","******",etc.
Something about black people calling eachother or anyone ***** is offensive in my opinion. I don't understand why they say it or when and where it became acceptable.

[i realize there is a filter for this word.]
Just know I am trying to discuss the 'n' word in its slang form.
Reappropriation often happens. Most minorities (relative to where they currently are) have offensive terms that can refer to them, and many of them retake that word and use it for themselves, which in some cases sort of takes the power away from that word. So if a black person calls another person that word in jest, it doesn't mean anything, but if a white person calls a black person that word, it references a whole history of hatred and violence.

Some reappropriations become so commonplace that they become the default word. "Christian" was supposedly originally a term used by opponents of those that turned Christ worship into a religion, rather than by members of the religion themselves. Now it's just the default term. Queer is an example, nerd is an example, I think pagan is an example, some atheists call themselves heathens, etc. The word for black people, and other terms for other races, still hold a lot more sting than anything else.

I don't care that some blacks use the word.

What I do care about is how it's okay to use insults with the word " white" in front. Like white *****. Or how it's okay among the black community, at least where I'm at, to stereotype whites and other races.
Meh.

I don't really care if people want to use the word "white" either. If people call me white or stereotype me, it doesn't bother me. But that's sort of coming from privilege, as the current majority in my country and with a history as the abuser rather than the abused.

"colored americans" ? Talk about offensive … :rolleyes:
The odd thing, though, is that "person of color" is considered a valid phrase. "Women of Color" in particular is a phrase that is used in academic discussion or by news media or other professional settings rather commonly, referring broadly to women that are not caucasian.

But "colored" in reference to African Americans has a history to it, and is obsolete and generally considered offensive.

Often it seems the historical context of the word matters more than the direct meaning of the word.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As George Carlin pointed out, after firing off pages of racial slurs, they're just words. It's the user and context that counts. But it makes no since to use a word to describe yourself but get offended when others use it, especially when someone gets ready to start throwing fists when they hear someone use it (the only fight I've been in was partly started over someone in their group insisting someone in my group used "the 'n' word" even though they were all throwing it at each other with no problem).

But here is some food for thought: When you think about it, terms like African-American, Hispanic-American, Irish-American, or whatever the term, (unless that person is infact from and culturally of whatever society) are very degrading terms. What is implied by such terms, is that these people do not get to be just regular, plain, vanilla Americans. We don't want to see or acknowledge them as "regular" Americans, and we achieve this by insisting there is something else about them that must be addressed before we address them as Americans. People do like to have their culture and heritage acknowledged, but the freed slaves didn't want to go to Africa because they weren't Africans, they were Americans.

Personally, I think we should just ditch racial language all together and acknowledge each other as just another regular, plain, every day human being. No having to guess if they will be offended or not, no guess work if you are uncertain of ethnic descent, and the best part is you see this person first and foremost as another human and not as a different person.

I did find this video looking up some other stuff. It has the "f" word once, but it is pretty funny seeing how uncomfortable a white person can be with the word, even when a black person is insisting and encouraging them to say it (spoiler alert, the reported didn't say it.)
[youtube]tYYBJ8XRdh4[/youtube]
Samuel L. Jackson Insists Reporter Say N-Word in 'Django Unchained' Interview - YouTube

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Penumbra, try living amongst predominantly black community and see if you still feel that way
White people are a minority in my apartment complex.

I believe it's black people, hispanic people, and then white people, in population. Not many asian people. It might be hispanic people first, then black people, but either way, white people are third.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Offensive? No. Silly? Yes. However, not as silly as hearing a bunch of clueless white kids calling each other n*****, but slightly more silly than hearing a bunch of chicks call each other b****. At the end of the day, the slang words/phrases used by various people in various cirumstances basically come down to learned social affectation, and are usually not high-minded social statements, nor offensive hate dredged up from the blackness of one's soul.

I would like to share this write up on racism
Racism

Racism A belief or doctrine that inherent difference among various human racial groups determine the cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own racial group as inferior to a racial group or others... (not from where I am standing)

On the subject of racism methods of discrimination I want to share, is when people refuse brands of racism the racist person (ei) whatever colour usually want them to become gay or have them homosexually raped for mixing with people who are opposite to them, it is a well known text book fact the one of the racial punishments is homosexual rape, I quote: we gonna butt **** these naggers until they get the message, it seems to me to be one of the fisrt and last stage of racial then social discrimination (eg) Mr Blun: I was involved in a subculture that was predominately white, during that period I did alright, no problem, then a particular brand of racist joined the scene and his first act was to make anyone not white subjugated to white will, this took place be digging up any past they had then demoralizing them by changing the circumstance of the situation so it seemed totally unwarranted and immoral, it was not long before all of Mr Blun’s enemies all took part of the social ostracizing witch hunt. This wrong thing seems to be one of the first port of call when dealing with racial hate, it also serves as a deterrent in keeping the different racial persons away from the woman of whatever race. In films they use these scenes of homosexual rape because the racial turning of the person to homosexual actually happens, deplorable yes I know and its is still one of the most used methods today and is text book racism. On a few occasions Mr Blun has said women who are white or white thinking has said to him, go on then pick up that white woman then? which he did not and resulting in the response (yes because you know they will rape your arse) when previously Mr Blun had been dating white women. In an article I read on white power it specifically says: Any persons accepting white power should expect to be abused, it is not red or black power it is white power, it is also worth noting that these powers just like black power operate within the discrimination zone and outside the law and UN stature of rights, Mr Blun goes on to say that he has heard things like I am not having that black ride a better bike than me which resulted of motorcycle impounding and being knocked his motorcycle in an arranged accident, Mr Blun also knows that in a manifesto a two way double deal is struck with some white racist people and black people and Asians only as an immediate understanding unbeknown to them, once the shift of power is complete who give a **** what they think, also on the other hand Mr Blun says he knows of a white man who was a white Rastafarian and once he came across a certain sect of Rastafarians they accused him os being in league with batty men which was obviously not true, resulting on the white Rastafarians turning to white power vowing never to be around blacks ever again, making someone look gay/homosexual is even amongst the rap scene as the same racists weapon , he’s a ***** if he’s not down, Mr Blun says on a particular day he went to score some action and approaching the white rapper to see if he could pick up an inexpensive prostitute as he had done so many times before to even keep count, only this time he was offered a man with smutty bad sense of humour grin, to which Mr Blun walked out feeling sickened at this bad joke in his hour of need and when on to a find a brothel and had his desire sated, later he found out that some of the rap kind heard Mr Blun was into white power and so the white rapper tried to play Mr Blun on a power move expecting him to submit to the white rapper will even though the white rapper was not even part of the white world and was just trying to play him, in truth Mr Blun was about himself and have never been a tool for any power except his search for hidden magic at the time, so you see in truth turning people homosexual/gay is one of the oldest things you’d ever know about which is 100% wrong and I am against it for any colour or race, the list of methods of discrimination through sexual punishment goes so long back that its even before the civil war and during slavery and is a crime against humanity, trying to turn a person homosexual because he won’t accept your domination which is even outside the bill or rights and a discriminatory practise, then that gives you in England the religious right to bare arms to do justice and in America the constitutional right to bare arms, all these facts are text book treatment that precedes my age when I was a adult, one solution don’t date women totally removed from who you are? was one of Mr Blun’s solutions only to find they became even more volatile. D.N.H.C.B.H on male or females.

Written By C A Forbes

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Even though I don't use the N word and wish it were not used, it means something different in the black community that it typically does in the non-black community. In the latter, N..... is used negatively in regards to an entire ethnicity, whereas in the black community it's mostly not used that way. Still, it's a label that I believe is offensive regardless of who's being referred to.