• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran or Bible is it the Final Word of God?

siti

In Matthew’s record of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets" (Matthew 5:17-18).

So if Jesus did not “abolish” the law, then it must still be binding, right? So the Sabbath requirements must still be applicable, along with many other elements of the Mosaic Law. This belief is based on a misunderstanding of the words and intent of this passage. Christ never suggested the laws of Moses would remain forever in effect. Such a view would contradict the Teachings of the Apostles (Romans 10:4, Galatians 3:23-25, Ephesians 2:15).

One arguement is the Greek meaning of the word “abolish” translated from the Greek kataluo, literally meaning “to loosen down.” The word is found seventeen times in the New Testament. It is used, for example, of the destruction of the Jewish temple by the Romans (Matthew 26:61, Acts of the Apostles 6:14) and of the dissolving of the human body at death (2 Corinthians 5:1). The word can carry the extended meaning of “to overthrow,” “to render vain, deprive of success.” In classical Greek, it was used in connection with institutions, laws, etc., to convey the idea of “to invalidate.”

The word abolish used in Matthew 5:17 is set in opposition to “fulfill.” Christ came “...not to abolish, but to fulfill.” Jesus did not come to this earth for the purpose of acting as an opponent of the law. His goal was not to prevent its fulfillment. Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition. He fulfilled the law’s prophetic utterances regarding Himself (Luke 24:44). Christ fulfilled the demands of the Mosaic law, hroug prophetic fulfilment and the establishment of a New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31, Luke 22:20).

Healing on the Sabbath (Mark 3:1-6) and changing the laws of marriage (Matthew 19:3-12) are specific examples of His authority to bring a New Covenant with new laws.
Well there's a huge amount of ground covered in this post and a lot I agree with - as far as it goes. And I agree with your main point (assuming I am reading you correctly) that Jesus' life and death was meant to be portrayed as a fulfillment of "the Law" rather than either a continuation or an abrupt "abolition" of it. But I suspect perhaps his life was more intended to "point to" a progressive spiritual fulfillment (remembering of course that the account of his life and teachings was written down much later by leading figures in an emerging Christian religion). The point about the "new covenant" was the writing of the law on the "tablets" of the "hearts" of human beings rather than stone (or parchment/paper etc.). For example, if we take the idea of the sabbath - in the Mosaic Law this was a literal day each week on which the mundane concerns were set aside so that focus could be on spiritual matters. In the spiritual "new covenant" there is no need for a literal day to be set aside (although there is certainly no reason why people should not do so if it aids their faith) because Christ - being the fulfillment of the Law - has set the hearts of humans free from undue concern about the mundane matters of life (compare for example Matthew 6:24-34).

The strictures against healing on the sabbath and the laws on divorce were possibly misinterpretations of the intent of the Law in any case - Jesus was (perhaps) not abolishing or abrogating anything in those cases, he was clarifying their understanding. I am sure one can see it that way on a careful reading of the various passages where Jesus explained why he was healing on the sabbath. Jesus himself seems to have observed the sabbath (Luke 4:16), as, apparently did Paul (Acts 17:2) and according to a reasonably careful reading of the Gospel accounts, he only seems to have "overstepped" the accretions of human tradition that had beclouded their understanding of the law (compare for example Matthew 12:1-14; Mark 7:13). And perhaps that was the point that was being made by the writers of the Gospels - that, in fact, it was religious tradition that had "overstepped" the commandments of God and not the actions of faithful individuals who were at the mercy of Pharisaical religious authority that itself had abandoned the "weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy and faith..." (Matthew 23). But there was really nothing new in what Jesus was saying (1 Samuel 15:22; Proverbs 21:3; Hosea 6:6; Micah 6:8).

So perhaps what was "abrogated" or "abolished" was not the law at all, but the religious tradition that had so encrusted and besmeared the law and obscured its spiritual intent. I think that is a more balanced and reasonable interpretation of what Jesus is reported to have taught. The law - as Paul had apparently already suggested by the time the Gospels were written - was a "tutor" leading to Christ (Galatians 3:24) and a "shadow of the good things to come" (Colossians 2:17; Hebrews 10:1) - but just because one is past the "school years" and is no longer "under a tutor", does that mean that the "tutor" must "pass away" or become "invalid"? I think not. I think it just requires a more mature understanding of what the law teaches - "...the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (Galatians 5:14; Mark 12:29-31).

Christ was indeed the fulfillment of the law (according to a careful reading of the Gospel account) not because he made the law invalid but because, by putting love of God and love of neighbour first and foremost, he completely validated its spiritual intent and enabled his followers to do likewise (if only they could have avoided the pitfalls of religious hypocrisy and sanctimony). If only!

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Christ was indeed the fulfillment of the law (according to a careful reading of the Gospel account) not because he made the law invalid but because, by putting love of God and love of neighbour first and foremost, he completely validated its spiritual intent and enabled his followers to do likewise (if only they could have avoided the pitfalls of religious hypocrisy and sanctimony). If only!

I agree with what you have written and most of your post too.

Muffled

Jesus in me
How does this passage fit with that view?

John 16:13 "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

Regards Tony

I believe it fits in this way: John 14:25 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe it fits in this way: John 14:25 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Then we consider these passages;

John 14:28 "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

What does Christ say about a name of the helper!

Revelation 2:17'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it.'

Revelation 3:12 "The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name."

It could be that one must overcome the veil of Names and receive Christs New Name. To those that do, the verse says victory over self is assured.

Regards Tony

Last edited: