• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Yeah. I was reading they usually burn up effigies. Not sympethetic magic, Im sure.
Effigies can refer to the prone statues that lay on tombs,too, and nothing unkind is meant there. But burning an effigy in the public square indicates that you want to speed that person along to theirs... I think the sympathetic magic is more or less intended, if unconscious. Like burning a flag, people are symbolizing their political intentions through the act whether they think of themselves as magicians or not. And if you do have a magical mindset, you have to think there is at least some danger in that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Effigies can refer to the prone statues that lay on tombs,too, and nothing unkind is meant there. But burning an effigy in the public square indicates that you want to speed that person along to theirs... I think the sympathetic magic is more or less intended, if unconscious. Like burning a flag, people are symbolizing their political intentions through the act whether they think of themselves as magicians or not. And if you do have a magical mindset, you have to think there is at least some danger in that.

True. I wouldnt burn. I have some more safe and herbal oriented ideas. I dont sculpt and very cautious in what I may choose as an effigie if I do use one.

Its interesting, on that not, in the Catholic Basilica here in DC US, I cant remember which saint ashes were burried under his statue. They layed it flat. I dont know if that would be an effigie bit people do get something more than inspiration out of it.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
True. I wouldnt burn. I have some more safe and herbal oriented ideas. I dont sculpt and very cautious in what I may choose as an effigie if I do use one.

Its interesting, on that not, in the Catholic Basilica here in DC US, I cant remember which saint ashes were burried under his statue. They layed it flat. I dont know if that would be an effigie bit people do get something more than inspiration out of it.
Yes, that's exactly what an effigy was originally. :)