• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions to atheists

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
That is about as bad an argument as it is possible to make.

Just as a heads up - here is a few things that you clearly do not know about just one of your examples there, Stalin.

Stalin was raised in a Christian community and was educated and trained in a seminary where he was studying towards the Priesthood.

Stalin is the founder of the Eastern Orthodox Church and opened tens of thousands of churches. The Soviet Union under Stalin was Statist, not atheist.

Blaming the sins of Stalin is just absurd, it is forgetting that atheism is not a worldview and that no crime is commited in the name of atheism, because atheism has no ideology or agenda to persue.

Stalin was a Christian, Mao was from a culture that has no concept of god, and in which the term 'atheist' was essentially meaningless. Jim Jones was a Christian, Kim Jong Il is a worshipped as a god in Nth Korea and so it has nothing to do with atheism either, in fact - like China it is a country where they do not have a theistic conception of god, and so atheism is essentially meaningless.

Oh yeah - Pol Pot. Did you know that he was a buddhist?

Lastly, your math is terrible - if you add up the deaths from religious conflicts over the last centuries it eclipses the number you attribute (falsely) to atheism several times over - some 800 million people.

Stalin wasn't atheist. :facepalm:
Was he a religious communist then ?

[youtube]H0mtVkBqrCE[/youtube]
â˜* ❝HEROES❞ OF ATHEISM: JOSEPH STALIN â˜* - YouTube

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an atheist. He followed the position that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society.

Reference: Joseph Stalin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sure, religion is an opiate for the masses. I agree with him on that point.

And he did remove the Russian Orthodox Church in order to construct communist Russia, he then founded its replacement, the Eastern Orthodox Church.

So what was your point?

Farrukh

POL POT killed more than 2 million people in just three years. I think there is no reason for Atheists not to be brutal. They can do whatever they wish.

Nymphs

POL POT killed more than 2 million people in just three years. I think there is no reason for Atheists not to be brutal. They can do whatever they wish.

Come again?

You do understand that atheists have morals, just as much as anyone else, right?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You mean Buddists? Pol Pot being a Buddist.

Did he kill them for religious war ?
Did Stalin kill for religious war ?
Did Hitler kill for religious war ?

i ain't saying that all atheists are bad people,but saying that Stalin was a religious man is absurd.

Nymphs

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Did he kill them for religious war ?
Did Stalin kill for religious war ?
Did Hitler kill for religious war ?

i ain't saying that all atheists are bad people,but saying that Stalin was a religious man is absurd.

Well you can dismiss it as absurd, if that makes you feel better. But yes Stalin was religious. And what is truly absurd is the notion that he killed for atheism, atheism is not an ideology or a dogma.

Hitler by the way was a Christian, not an atheist. When he rose to power, one of his first acts was to obliterate the German atheist movement.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Stalin was raised Orthodox, but he was an atheist. It's not sure exactly what Hitler's beliefs were. No one really is. In the public, he presented himself as a Christian but in private he made hateful remarks towards Christianity. Neither of them killed in the name of atheism (in Stalin's case, not atheism alone, anyway). People who use them as examples of theistic or atheistic tyranny misunderstand the nature of totalitarian movements and really should stop spouting off their ignorant claptrap.

Religious views of Adolf Hitler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Stalin was raised Orthodox, but he was an atheist. It's not sure exactly what Hitler's beliefs were. No one really is. In the public, he presented himself as a Christian but in private he made hateful remarks towards Christianity. Neither of them killed in the name of atheism (in Stalin's case, not atheism alone, anyway). People who use them as examples of theistic or atheistic tyranny misunderstand the nature of totalitarian movements and really should stop spouting off their ignorant claptrap.

Religious views of Adolf Hitler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree, there is no relation between being atheist and morality, but i think it was absurd to regard Stalin as a religious figure.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I agree, there is no relation between being atheist and morality, but i think it was absurd to regard Stalin as a religious figure.

So Stalin being the Patriarch, architect and founder of the Eastern Orthodox Church -opening some 25,000 of them doesn't make him a religious figure?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Atheism or theism alone do not decide how moral a person is. Franco and Pinochet were horrible Catholics, Antonescu was a horrible Orthodox Christian and Stalin and Hoxha were horrible atheists. Etc.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So Stalin being the Patriarch, architect and founder of the Eastern Orthodox Church -opening some 25,000 of them doesn't make him a religious figure?

Lol, Stalin didn't found Eastern Orthodoxy. I guess you meant the Russian Orthodox Church, but that's not true, either. He only eased up on persecuting the Orthodox in order to promote nationalist morale.

Russian Orthodox Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marisa

i have some questions in mind for atheists and others who refuse the idea that god do exist,hope that you'll answer with sincerity.

Yes, I obey laws. Rules, well it depends on the rule. No, I don't find it hard to follow laws, rules may be another story. If somewhere there is written a rule that women must be subservient to men, I'm not gonna follow that one.

Whether or not I hate orders depends on the order I'm given.

I'm happy to help people with car trouble, though admittedly I'm pretty useless as I'm no mechanic, and only a fair to middlin' tire changer.

I am always happy to help those who have less that I have.

I have a problem with the word "forgive". To me, it implies "you screwed me over, but I'm okay with that". I accept that people will not always treat me fairly. Do I judge people who don't treat me fairly? Sure. Judging isn't inherently a bad thing, it's how we make decisions. Someone who was simply rude to me isn't likely to leave much of a mark on me worth either forgiveness or acceptance, I just rock on with my bad self.

I am monogamous.

I don't enjoy gambling. I'm too cheap.

Define: spiritual drink?

My parents are dead, but I would consider myself to have been an average kid growing up. I did some things, didn't do others. But once I became an adult they pretty much stopped giving me directions.

I do not enjoy gossip that is at another person's expense.

If the secret is mine, it's mine to determine whether or not to share. If the secret is not mine, it's locked away forever. Everyone's secrets are their own to share or not as they choose.

Laika

Premium Member
Do you obey the rules and laws with ease or you feel hard that you are pushed to do so,such as you wish to park your car in a place where itsn't allowed to do so.

"obey" is a strong word. more like ambivilent. A rule of thumb is don't murder, rape or steal, and 9 times out of 10 I'll be inside the law. Otherwise I'm a bit of nihilist and a relativist; I generally follow my own moral compass based on how I feel and on how I want others to feel. it's a process of negiotating boundaries.

Do you hate orders,do this ,do that.

If I understand them and feel comfortable with them- yeah I'm ok. but if I think somethings wrong- and by wrong I mean it's going to cause serious harm to a person or group of people- I'll kick off.

Do you feel happy to help somebody in need,poor family and the like.

Yes.

Do you find it easy to forgive someone who was rude with you.

Yes.

Do you like to have more than one sex partner (polyamory)

I support the idea of free love in principle. In practice I haven't had much experience at it, but it is also harder because you need to find peace with yourself over something that isn't considered normal and can be offensive.

Do you feel happy with gambling

I generally don't gamble. I bought a lottery ticket once and I have played poker with freinds for small amounts of money.

Do you prefer spiritual drinks than other drinks

I'm a non-drinker. Alcohol goes striaght through me. I don't really enjoy it anyway, as I kind of think it's emotionally dishonest- if I want to lose my inhibitions I should be prepared to grow as a person.

Do you think you are good to your parents,i mean do you obey or disobey them.

we have a working relationship and generally get along; we talk our problems over and negioatate our differences. but we clash on and off and that is part of growing up. When I get things wrong, I admit it, but my parents rarely do vice versa so that's been an issue. there is a default setting in my house that those who cause conflict are not justified in doing so, a peace at any price mentality which is definetely not healthy.
So 'obey' is the wrong word to describe my relationship with my parents as its much more fluid. I was a really good kid, but overtime I realised this was a bad thing and made me unhappy so I've become more selfish as I think this is more healthy. most people would be grateful to have a son like me- but for some reason, no matter how well I behave, it's never enough for my parents.

Do you like gossiping or usually doing it.

no. I feel it's a waste of time.

Are you fond with bacon and similar products of pork meat

hmmmm... ribs.

Do you feel happy to talk against god or feeling glad to let others choose your way.

Whatever my personal opinions on religion, I try to keep in mind that I'm not talking about god, but that I'm talking to another person. My opinions are on the militant spectrum of atheism, but my behaviour isn't which can sometimes be a little confusing as I'm not sure how I can hold such opinions in practice. So their emotional well-being counts even when I disagree with them.

Do you usually keep a secret or expose it.

I'm good at keeping other people secrets. I've yet to come accross a secret that was so bad I'd expose it, but in principle the line is about the 'harm' keeping a secret would do. exposing it would have to be the lesser evil in terms of it's consequences.