• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for Hijab-Wearing Women

Hannah W.

Hello, everyone! I'm new here. I have a couple questions, so I joined to ask it. This forum looked like a great place to learn about other religions!

My questions today are for Muslim ladies who wear hijab. (Would I say hijab or hijabs?) I'm co-writing a book, and in it, we have a character who is Muslim and wears hijab. I want to make sure I portray her accurately and respect her culture, even though I know very little about it. (She is from India. Her name is Lilja in case you were curious. :D) Especially since she becomes a major character later in the series.

My main question is: what are the guidelines for wearing hijab? I have noticed all women I see in public wearing it not only have the head covering, but also usually aren't showing any other skin than their face and hands. Would Lilja be able to take off her hijab when she's with other girls? Alone in her own room, with a roommate? (It's a school setting, so she does have a roommate).

Also, it's a modern fantasy novel; at one point she's picked up by a dragon and shaken around. Would this cause the hijab to come unpinned and fall off, and if so would that be embarrassing to her?

I know so little about hijab, but I think it's very beautiful and I truly want to portray Lilja accurately. Diversity is extremely important to me.

And I know there are two branches of Islam, but I'm unsure which Lilja would be. Any help with that? Sorry to be asking so much, and thank you in advance!

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
My wife writes....

Hi,
Muslims come in many different cultures, so I cannot answer from an asian perspective, however, my teen daughter would be embarrassed at her hijab being pulled off at the least - but probably more worried about the dragon realistically. When with her sisters, family, alone, or in her residence, [so long as no guys are around who aren't her brothers, uncles or father, she would be at ease minus her hijab.

Hannah W.

My wife writes....

Hi,
Muslims come in many different cultures, so I cannot answer from an asian perspective, however, my teen daughter would be embarrassed at her hijab being pulled off at the least - but probably more worried about the dragon realistically. When with her sisters, family, alone, or in her residence, [so long as no guys are around who aren't her brothers, uncles or father, she would be at ease minus her hijab.

Thank you so much!

zahra67

Hello, everyone! I'm new here. I have a couple questions, so I joined to ask it. This forum looked like a great place to learn about other religions!

My questions today are for Muslim ladies who wear hijab. (Would I say hijab or hijabs?) I'm co-writing a book, and in it, we have a character who is Muslim and wears hijab. I want to make sure I portray her accurately and respect her culture, even though I know very little about it. (She is from India. Her name is Lilja in case you were curious. :D) Especially since she becomes a major character later in the series.

My main question is: what are the guidelines for wearing hijab? I have noticed all women I see in public wearing it not only have the head covering, but also usually aren't showing any other skin than their face and hands. Would Lilja be able to take off her hijab when she's with other girls? Alone in her own room, with a roommate? (It's a school setting, so she does have a roommate).

Also, it's a modern fantasy novel; at one point she's picked up by a dragon and shaken around. Would this cause the hijab to come unpinned and fall off, and if so would that be embarrassing to her?

I know so little about hijab, but I think it's very beautiful and I truly want to portray Lilja accurately. Diversity is extremely important to me.

And I know there are two branches of Islam, but I'm unsure which Lilja would be. Any help with that? Sorry to be asking so much, and thank you in advance!
hello.
i am muslim, have hijab and i am proud of it.
hijab is beauty, not ashame!
God maintain our dignity and respect by having hijab and protect us from dangers, immoral act etc.
the people should know us via our knowledge, wisdom, modesty and chastity, not our body!