• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Dorje Shugden (& Tibetan Buddhism)

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
Hey everyone!
I'm sorry to be putting this in the neutral-Buddhist section, but the Vajrayana sections seems a little inanimate :drool:

Anyway, I have a question about Dorje Shugden. I've seen a few people who've posted about Shugden, so i thought this would be my best place for asking about.

So...
1. Do we need an 'empowerment' (Tib. wang) to effectively practice with Dorje Shugden? I don't have anyone in my area who could do that for me.

2. I've heard of some practitioners referring to Dorje Shugden as their root Guru: does this mean they don't have a flesh-and-blood root guru?

This sort of leads to a pervading third question:

3. Is it possible to be a Dorje Shugden practitioner (forgive my terminology) to experience the purification of mind, and other benefits (in lack of a better word) of adhering to Dorje Shugden if they do not go to a Spiritual Guide, or are there people who hold this philosophy?

I ask this because of my spiritual interest in Dorje Shugden (I am currently a Nichiren Buddhist), and the closest Lamas have nothing to do with Dorje Shugden in my area–many of the Lamas in Australia, I'm told, follow the Dalai Lama, and it's simply not in the tradition of others to relate to Dorje Shugden. So this Q&A is just me seeing what options I have for being a Dorje Shugden practitioner.

Thanks so much for your answers! :D
Gasho!
-Sam.

DSHistory

Hi Sam,

These are all interesting questions, I'll try and answer based on things I've read and heard based on teachers in the Gelug tradition:
1. For the simplest ways of practicing a wang is not required. For example, basic prayers such as requests for guidance do not require a wang into Dorje Shugden or any other deity. For more lengthy, involved rituals this usually requires a wang into a Highest Yoga Tantra deity, such as Yamantaka.

2. Usually they do a have one or more flesh and blood root gurus, to get into the "gateway" such as lam-rim teachings and other wangs requires having a flesh and blood guru (it's pretty unusual to get introduced to these face-to-face by Dorje Shugden himself). But at the same time, some masters have credited Dorje Shugden's influence for helping them meet their flesh and blood root gurus. It should be pointed out that it is possible to have more than one root guru so as to avoid confusion on that term.

3. This is an interesting question I've heard brought up in front of lamas, and the answer was definitively 'yes'. In particular for experiencing difficulties in one's life I've heard lamas reconfirm that basic prayers to Dorje Shugden was beneficial regardless of how "steeped in a tradition" the person was. No matter what tradition you practice providing the conditions for inspiration on your path is an important task for protectors such as Dorje Shugden.

Sincerely,
DSH

PS my intention was to answer your questions based on what I've heard, and not get involved in a big, heated discussion from other replies by other people that may bring in irrelevant disagreements into the mix. But if you have more questions like this I'm open to answer them.

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
Thanks very much for your speedy answer, DHS :D

I'm very happy to receive these sort of answers: over these past few days, I've been really taken spiritually by Dorje Shugden, and it's quite a relief to know there is evidence, from spiritual teachers, that I can practice sans-Guru. Hopefully the practice will lead me to a/some qualified Guru/s, and also the correct mentality for receiving them (I'm cautious at the moment)–or if not this, to prosperity along the path.

At least, now I know there are options beyond Lobsang Rampa :drool: lol

Thanks very much again!

-Sam.

PS. If anyone else has timely advice or some different answers, I'd still benefit just as much to hearing it!

Dorje

Ri-me
No, you dont need an empowerment to practice Dorje Shugden Sadhana, but its best if you do get one.

The root guru is like the first of their lineage, or their main guru. Some people may say that their root guru is Shugden because their teacher is an emanation of Shugden when on the teaching throne.

Yes it is possible to practice Dorje Shugden Sadhana and have a peaceful mind come out of the practice. what Dorje Shugden does is that he sets up the correct environment that is suitable for the attainment of enlightenment.

If you can, try to find a NKT (New Kadampa Tradtion) Center near you, they all practice Shugden Sadhana. And NKT members dont agree with the Dalai Lama on this subject and you dont either. This is a personal path that you have to take and what seems best you should do! So, go find a center that follows Dorje Shugden, the NKT center will be best. To find a center near you, go to the Kadampa website Kadampa - The New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) - International Kadampa Buddhist Union.

Steve J

I've been reading up on Dorje Shugden to learn more about him. Dorje Shugden is an emanation of Manjushri, the Buddha of Wisdom. He is also a Yidam (meditational deity), a Lama as well as a Protector of Gelugpa tradition! How amazing to have 3-in-1. I haven't fully understood what it means yet and is still doing readings. Do share in this forum if you have any information regarding Dorje Shugden's qualities.

wisdombeing

Wannabe Wisdom Being
Dear all,

Wow - this thread is so refreshing because of the genuine interest in this Holy Dharma Protector, Dorje Shugden! I am quite a young Shugdenpa but am learning as much as I can. There are lots of online resources available.. such as dorjeshugden dot com.

If you are on facebook, do join me on groups (dot) to (slash) dorjeshugden!

HUM
Glory of the wisdom, compassion and power of infinite Buddhas
Miraculously powerful protector of Manjusri Tsongkhapa’s Teachings
Arisen as a lord of all wrathful worldly hosts
Come from the abodes of Tu****a, Kechara, and so forth!

wisdombeing

Wannabe Wisdom Being
Dear Zenzero

Thanks for the welcome :) pleased to be here and slowly learning my way around :)

love
Kate

dharmajewel

So nice to be amongst people who are interested in the wisdom buddha dorje shugden, I hope you continue with your interest, some truly wonderful teachers are/have been Shugden practitioners including Lama Zong Rinpoche, Lama yeshe, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Je Phabongkhapa and Trijang Rinpoche. I have been relying on him for 8 years and can say he is 100% reliable. It's best to get the empowerment, but not absolutley needed.

May all beings be free from suffering.

Matthew

jampa

Dear Sam,

You do not need any kind of empowerment in order to practice the mighty lord Doje Shudgen, but some time I confuse that why people demand freedom to practice the lord while its our right to do.
So people should not ask for permission any more.

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
Thank you everyone for your responses!

Now, I just need to fit Dorje Shugden into Nichiren Buddhism... yay! lol

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
and just one question: I know Dorje Shugden is attached to the Gelugpa School, but is there a different School known as "Shugdenpa", or are the Shugden practitioners not part of Gelugpa (or other schools, for that matter)?

Thanks again!

wisdombeing

Wannabe Wisdom Being
Hey Sam,

I was just wondering how you were getting on with your Shugden practice? By the way, Shugdenpas are just Shugden practitioners, eg Gelugpas are Gelug practitioners.

x

avalokiteshvara

I've been a dorje shugden practitioner for about a year and I would say he works 100%. I had a bad fall 6 ft onto a pavement headfirst. I should have been dead or badly injured at least and I was ok except for bumps and bruises. I had been to a dorje shugden empowerment the weekend before and I trully believe he saved me. Empowerments are good but not nessacery as they put you in a closer relationship with the deity. Find A NKT Centre near you. They're all over the world so there should be one not far away.