• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Deism

Dadball

I was reading several of the threads under Deism. This is very interesting, and I have to say I have learned something new.

The Creator God gave us the gift of Reason, how does faith interact with reason, or does it? Can human emotions, (love, hate) be Reasonable? Thomas Paine wrote that the revealed creation story appeals to the simple explination of why God created man, How do Deist or Reason explain that it was man that was given Reason, and not some other animal?

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten.

Dadball

painted wolf said:
How do you know that other animals can't reason?

wa:do
I belive they can.
My point of this question is to explain why man was chosen to evolve as he has from the Deist perspective.

Pah

Uber all member
Dadball said:
I belive they can.
My point of this question is to explain why man was chosen to evolve as he has from the Deist perspective.

Evolution means no choice or purpose to the changes that are accumulated.

Bob

Pah

Uber all member
Dadball said:
Deist believe it just happened?

I really don't know. I was commenting on your statement (within the question) that evolution was a matter of choice. It is not.

Bob

Pah

Uber all member
truthseekingsoul said:
Do deists believe that God or whatever they call it controls evolution?
Random mutation is the operating mechanism of evolution - there is no control

Bob

Davidium

Gosh, another great questioning thread about Deism. I am starting to feel at home here! :)

Ok, First, stating "Deists believe this" or "Deists believe that" is somewhat problematic. Other than the Three core beliefs (God Exists, Reason is the tool we use to understand the universe, We should also use Reason in how we live our lives), Deists go all over the spectrum in their beliefs.

So, I can speak from my Deist beliefs, and I can speak in General about the beliefs of other Deists... Deists are free to follow where their Reason and experience take them.

So, with that proviso... here we go....

The Creator God gave us the gift of Reason, how does faith interact with reason, or does it? Can human emotions, (love, hate) be Reasonable? Thomas Paine wrote that the revealed creation story appeals to the simple explination of why God created man, How do Deist or Reason explain that it was man that was given Reason, and not some other animal?
Ok, many Deists believe that there was one, and only one event that we know God was the motivational factor behind... and that was the creation itself. Some of us (including me) believe that God created the natural laws, and the universe was created according to those laws. Some Deists do not even believe the Universe had a creation moment, but rather subscribe to a "steady state" model of the Universe always existing in some form.

And PanenDeists believe that the Universe itself is God (very simplified).... I recently was allowed to host an excellent essay on panendeism by one of the premier thinkers in this field, Travis Clementsmith. http://dynamicdeism.org/library/panendeisticmodel.htm

One of the common threads among Deists is that we believe that God either does not interfere in the Universe, or that he does so in ways that we cannot perceive. Humans obtained the ability to Reason at the level that we do because the evolutionary process has led us to this point. When Deists usually use the term "Gift of Reason" what we mean really is the Gift of the natural laws which led to our ability to Reason.

So, God did not specifically decide that humans would be able to Reason, but he designed a Universe that created a beings able to Reason at different levels. Man is just the being that has the most of this ability.

Deists come to their belief in God in several different ways. Mine, boiled down, is that the universe simply does not make since to me without a purpose... and ascribing that a purpose would seem to exist... there then logically would need to be a force that can percieve that purpose.

We were not "chosen"... we simply did evolve into the beings we are according to the natural laws of the universe... And we have evolved to the level that we can begin to Reason, and perceive the universe around us in more than local terms.

To the Deist, Humans are not the end all be all of the Universe... we are simply a part of it. We may be an important part, because we have begun to percieve our universe beyond our local areas and concerns. We have learned to think in symbols. And we have learned to Reason....

As such, thinking about the great questions of life, from a reasonable perspective relying on experience, is the quest of the Deist...

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle

Dadball

Thank you for answering my question. What about this?
The Creator God gave us the gift of Reason, how does faith interact with reason, or does it? Can human emotions, (love, hate) be Reasonable?

Davidium

Thank you for answering my question. What about this?

Quote:
The Creator God gave us the gift of Reason, how does faith interact with reason, or does it? Can human emotions, (love, hate) be Reasonable?

Believe it or not, I kind of have an essay that is close to being on topic with your question...

http://dynamicdeism.org/library/thisdeistsfaith.htm

I have, in the past, used the quip that "Without Faith, Reason is cold... but without Reason, Faith is Blind."

We humans do not have perfect knowledge of our universe. Even if we had perfect knowledge, we are not perfect and as such would not have perfect understanding. In essence, the Deist must have faith in his ability to reason irreguardless of the perfected state of our knowledge. Our faith is not in God, or in any holy text, but rather in ourselves. I have faith in my ability to reason, in the future of humanity, and in my fiancee's love for me. I base this faith upon Reason, but reason cannot show these issues perfectly.

Reasoning on complete factual information does not require faith. But we rarely have such information. Deductive reasoning does require faith in your own mind and ability to analyze the data you do have.

And I have yet to gain much of an understanding about what the love of my life sees in me, and so I take her love on faith. Reason and experience show me she has never done anything to make me doubt her love... but I still dont understand it! :)

I hope this and my essay make a start to answering one of the hardest questions about Deism... which is the place Faith has within it.

Reason and Respect in all you say and do,

David Pyle