• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question

King Phenomenon

In your opinion are there countries that would try to nuke other countries if the ever acquired the technology?

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I’m In your opinion are there countries that would try to nuke other countries if the ever acquired the technology?

Fixed.

There is only 1 country that has used nuclear weapons in conflict. Would they or any other country use a nuclear strike? I doubt it, the stakes are too high now. Though i could be wrong. India / Pakistan.. Russia / whoever... Iran / Israel are possible but as I said, i doubt it. But terrorist organisations, that's a different matter.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yeah, any potentially. Any nation with a nutjob leader.
Including the ones that already have them or have them and pretend they don't.
As long as the leaders are convinced they'd die in an exchange not likely but I suppose someone like Hitler would have done it.

Little Dragon

As long as the leaders are convinced they'd die in an exchange not likely but I suppose someone like Hitler would have done it.
Hitler would absolutely have nuked any city on Earth, if he thought no one could nuke Germany back. That is. Yeah I imagine some people like Putin, might think a nuclear bunker could be a good exit strategy...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Fixed.

There is only 1 country that has used nuclear weapons in conflict. Would they or any other country use a nuclear strike? I doubt it, the stakes are too high now. Though i could be wrong. India / Pakistan.. Russia / whoever... Iran / Israel are possible but as I said, i doubt it. But terrorist organisations, that's a different matter.
Anyone who has the mentality of a murder/suicide and access to nukes is a possibility.

Little Dragon

But terrorist organisations, that's a different matte
Exactly. A robust low yield nuclear bomb, could be carried by a human being. In a suitcase. Then detonated, wherever that person is standing. Outside Buckingham palace or in Central Park...

That is an increasingly serious threat, which I think is underestimated. Especially as time goes by.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Anyone who has the mentality of a murder/suicide and access to nukes is a possibility.

Hopefully diplomacy will suffice thought nut jobs abound.

I personally think trump is capable, he simply doesn't care about anyone else but himself

ChristineM

Premium Member
Exactly. A robust low yield nuclear bomb, could be carried by a human being. In a suitcase. Then detonated, wherever that person is standing. Outside Buckingham palace or in Central Park...

That is an increasingly serious threat, which I think is underestimated. Especially as time goes by.

Or a dirty bomb, that's what I'd be thinking about with terror groups

Little Dragon

Or a dirty bomb, that's what I'd be thinking about with terror groups
A lot easier to make. A schoolboy/girl could make one, all you need are explosives and some obtainable quantity of radioactive element like Plutonium 242, a reactor waste product of Uranium 238 fission. Essentially.

The terror value of such a weapon would be economically devastating. If not quite so dangerous to life, as an actual fission nuclear explosion.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Hitler would absolutely have nuked any city on Earth, if he thought no one could nuke Germany back. That is. Yeah I imagine some people like Putin, might think a nuclear bunker could be a good exit strategy...
I doubt it.

In case of Russia I expect it would have to be extreme mega last resort.
As in "if we don't launch nukes now, then our country will not exist anymore tomorrow"
So I don't see that happening any time soon.

Just look at the whole Ukraine debacle. Time after time after time, their supposed "red lines" have been broken. First it was helping ukraine financially. Then it was sending weapons. Then it was sending tanks. Then it was sending rockets. Then it was sending planes.

All they did in response was continue to backpedal and redraw their supposed "red lines".

It's a typical barking dog. They won't bite unless really pushed to the extreme where it becomes a literal existential threat to the entire country (and thus not just his own life). I very much doubt that even if he would give the order NOW to launch, it would actually be followed up. I think it would only end in mutiny.

Non-state terrorist organizations however..... You know... the guys with a death wish and / or who don't care one second about the possible retaliation.... the delusional kind like ISIS, al-qaida, boko haraam and whatnot... I expect they'll use a nuke or a bio-weapon in a heart beat, not caring at all about the consequences.

They care not for their own people either.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There is no doubt in my mind at all that this is entirely the case. :handpointup:
Maybe. But it's good to know that even IF he is crazy enough to actually give such order (I doubt it, tbh...), it wouldn't be him that is actually pressing the button. It would be multiple other people who would have to be at least equally crazy enough to actually carry out that crazy an order.

There are safeguards in place there. I doubt such an order would be followed through, UNLESS there would actually be good reason to do so (like for example: icbm's are actually on their way to the US and it would be a retaliatory strike). But a first strike "out of the blue" while other options are open? Nah...

Little Dragon