• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the Jews..

hello,

i have a question to the jews..

Must jews or noachides believe that the Thorah is written by Moses?

Is this a fundamental principle of faith of Judaism?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
hello,

I assume that all or most Jewish members here do not believe that the first five books of the Hebrew Bible were delivered by Moses, and probably support the scholars assertion that the books of the Hebrew Bible were composed by various authors in a time period which is stretched to hundreds of years.

to put things in perspective, I am a Jewish atheist.

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
hello,

You mean the belief that the Torah was revealed to Moses on mount Sinai.
How could it be a fundamental principle of faith in Judaism?

I get it from wikipedia from Maimonides.

If you look at wikipedia and write Maimonides you get a list of "The 13 principles of faith"

one of them is "God's law given on mount sinai.." or when you typ on wikepedia Jewish principles of faith you get.. " I believe with perfect faith that the entire Torah that is now in our possession is the same that was given to Moses our teacher, peace be upon him.""

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I get it from wikipedia from Maimonides.

If you look at wikipedia and write Maimonides you get a list of "The 13 principles of faith"

one of them is "God's law given on mount sinai.." or when you typ on wikepedia Jewish principles of faith you get.. " I believe with perfect faith that the entire Torah that is now in our possession is the same that was given to Moses our teacher, peace be upon him.""
In orthodox Judaism it can very well be the traditional view.
IT IS the traditional held belief. however, Jewish thought on many levels also incorporates the acceptance of scholarship and research. for all I know, I could be wrong and many Jewish members on the forum may disagree with me. after all I try to look at it from a perspective of an archaeologist who attended Scriptural historiography classes- obviously different from an orthodox view of the Bible.

Levite

Higher and Higher
hello,

The predominate view in Orthodox Judaism is that the Torah was given by God to Moses on Mount Sinai; most Orthodox Jews, in my experience, would say that means that the Written Torah which we have today was passed down, verbatim, from Moses, who heard it from God at Sinai.

That is not the predominate view in non-Orthodox Judaism. There are many different views in non-Orthodox Judaism concerning Torah authorship.

The 13 Principles of Faith written by Maimonides were his opinion about what are the indisputable fundamental principles of Judaism. They are not canon or doctrine. Many have disagreed with him, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are actually quite few universally accepted principles of Jewish faith: Judaism is a religion that makes room for many differing opinions on more or less every matter.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
*Mod Post*

This thread has been cleaned up. Only Jews should be answering this question in this area of the forum. And unrelated questions about forum policy should be in the site feedback area.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Rakhel

There is one thing non-Jews must remember when asking a group of Jews a question.
No two Jews will answer the same question the same way in the same fashion at the same time.

Levite

Higher and Higher
So almost all jews believe, and judaism teach that Moses get all of the Thorah on the mount Sinai? Inclusive the message about his death..?

Almost all Orthodox Jews believe that. But not all Jews are Orthodox. In fact, today, statistically, most Jews are not Orthodox.

And even in Orthodoxy, many believe that the last eight verses of Deuteronomy, that describe Moses' death and the mourning of the people for him, were written by Joshua (as was taught in the Talmud).

Non-Orthodox Jews have other, different beliefs about the authorship of Torah.