• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question for Muslims about justice

Fatihah

[I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section!]

Ok this is just a question I have about justice in Islam. (please do correct me if I have something wrong)

As far as I know, when someone kills a person in Islam, that person either :

1) is killed by the victims family

or

2) the victims family chooses to forgive the murderer & the murderer pays compensation.

Now as far as I know when a married man or woman commits adultery they are ordered to be stoned to death. As far as I know there is no option of forgiveness.

So my question is, is why does a murderer get more mercy in Islam than an adulterer? It really doesn't make sense to me! This was one of the things that kept me from converting to Islam actually.
-Dot

Response: In islam, the correct punishment for adultery is 100 lashes, not stoning to death. Now depending on what sect of muslims you speak with, you will get a different answer. But one thing is for sure, there is no verse in the qur'an in which the punishment for adultery is stoning to death.

You can find many hadiths in which the prophet ordered stoning to death. These hadiths are unfortunately used to prove that the punishment for adultery is stoning to death. However, those who say so are not very educated in hadiths or are unfamiliar with the hadiths that prove otherwise. The prophet Muhammad(saw) used to practice the law of the taurat (torah) until a new revelation arrived. So the hadiths in which the Prophet practiced stoning was due to the taurat and was cancelled when the qur'an revealed that the punishment is 100 lashes. I hope that clears things up for you.

Last edited:
So here you say that the Hadiths are the word of God...

...and here you say that it's not very accurate and the majority of Muslims don't truly accept it. Sorry, but you're sounding a little flaky here. Claiming that something is the literal written word of the supreme being and then immediately turning around and saying "eh... maybe..?" isn't very convincing.

well do u know that the hadith represents almost 30% of the Islamic law
and about the accuracy there are certain companies who narrated hadith with 100% accuracy

Response: In islam, the correct punishment for adultery is 100 lashes, not stoning to death. Now depending on what sect of muslims you speak with, you will get a different answer. But one thing is for sure, there is no verse in the qur'an in which the punishment for adultery is stoning to death.

You can find many hadiths in which the prophet ordered stoning to death. These hadiths are unfortunately used to prove that the punishment for adultery is stoning to death. However, those who say so are not very educated in hadiths or are unfamiliar with the hadiths that prove otherwise. The prophet Muhammad(saw) used to practice the law of the taurat (torah) until a new revelation arrived. So the hadiths in which the Prophet practiced stoning was due to the taurat ans was cancelled when the qur'an revealed that the punishment is 100 lashes. I hope that clears things up for you.

she was asking about adultery for a married person

Fatihah

then how do you say the punishment is only 100 lashes???

Response: That is the punishment for sex outside of marriage, being adultery or fornication. Zani does not mean adultery. It means sex outside of marriage, in which both adultery and fornication fall under the definition.

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
What does the Quran say about adultery?

it says a person who commits adultery shoold be punished by 100 lashes. even the nature of those lashes are not meant to do physical harm on people.

24:2 (As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of believers witness their chastisement.

here is the original text, i am sorry i won't bring it in Arabic, this is only sound of Arabic but meaning of the words are the same;

Ez zâniyetu vez zânî feclidû kulle vâhıdin min humâ miete celdetin ve lâ te’huzkum bi himâ ra’fetun fî dînillâhi in kuntum tu’minûne billâhi vel yevmil âhır(âhırı), vel yeşhed azâbehumâ tâifetun minel mu’minîn(mu’minîne).

this word, "celdetin" is translated as stripes. celde means something that has effect on skin alone.

here is another verse about adultery;

4:25 And whoever among you has not within his power ampleness of means to marry free believing women, then (he may marry) of those whom your right hands possess from among your believing maidens; and Allah knows best your faith: you are (sprung) the one from the other; so marry them with the permission of their masters, and give them their dowries justly, they being chaste, not fornicating, nor receiving paramours; and when they are taken in marriage, then if they are guilty of indecency, they shall suffer half the punishment which is (inflicted) upon free women. This is for him among you who fears falling into evil; and that you abstain is better for you, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

this verse basicly tells about a female who commit adultery and she is married. verse says that she should get half of the punishment that's applied to free Muslim women. so what is the half of stoning to death exactly?

Fatihah

here is another verse about adultery;

4:25 And whoever among you has not within his power ampleness of means to marry free believing women, then (he may marry) of those whom your right hands possess from among your believing maidens; and Allah knows best your faith: you are (sprung) the one from the other; so marry them with the permission of their masters, and give them their dowries justly, they being chaste, not fornicating, nor receiving paramours; and when they are taken in marriage, then if they are guilty of indecency, they shall suffer half the punishment which is (inflicted) upon free women. This is for him among you who fears falling into evil; and that you abstain is better for you, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

this verse basicly tells about a female who commit adultery and she is married. verse says that she should get half of the punishment that's applied to free Muslim women. so what is the half of stoning to death exactly?

Response: Al hamdu lilah. That was my next point as well dear sister.

.lava

Veteran Member
there is one thing i would like to mention for my Muslim friends here. i don't wish to be misunderstood. my intention is not to prove you wrong, i mean, i don't have a selfish, egoistic reason. i don't mean to make you look anything negative at all. i do care for you. this is a very difficult thing to do. to share and to talk about what's wrong in practice of Islam. it is really difficult emotionally. please forgive me if it is needed. i am your friend and my intention is goodness of us. i hope i am clear enough

Fatihah

there is one thing i would like to mention for my Muslim friends here. i don't wish to be misunderstood. my intention is not to prove you wrong, i mean, i don't have a selfish, egoistic reason. i don't mean to make you look anything negative at all. i do care for you. this is a very difficult thing to do. to share and to talk about what's wrong in practice of Islam. it is really difficult emotionally. please forgive me if it is needed. i am your friend and my intention is goodness of us. i hope i am clear enough

Response: It is infortunate that some muslims tend to get offended when questioned about their view of islam. This is due to a desire to be right, rather than doing what's right. For if one is wrong or doesn't know an answer, they should be thankful that they were just informed of the correct answer, or should seek for correct answer, not get offended.

But dear sister, I am sure that the muslims here, myself included, can see that you have good intent.

Demonic Kitten

Thank you for taking the time to clear things up. I am not a religious person by any means and I know that this is not directed to me, but I just wanted to say thank you. It takes a very brave person to do something like this. Of course to me all religions are flawed in some way so my opinion might not count...

Brightest Blessings,
Demonic Kitten