• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for jehovah's witnesses

Frank Goad

What do the jw think of Luke 24:26-40?If jesus disciples didn't believe in ghosts.And they thought jesus was still soul sleeping.Why didn't they say"be gone in the name of God!" If they thought jesus was a demon?I am confused.:( Also jesus said he had flesh and bones.Why was this important?:confused:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What do the jw think of Luke 24:26-40?If jesus disciples didn't believe in ghosts.And they thought jesus was still soul sleeping.Why didn't they say"be gone in the name of God!" If they thought jesus was a demon?I am confused.:( Also jesus said he had flesh and bones.Why was this important?:confused:
I can't follow all of your lovely questions, but I can say that angels appeared to have flesh and bones sometimes and yet they were not human beings. Fr goad...:)

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

I'm not a JW, but I'm quite familiar with their beliefs.

"Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in ghosts. They believe that humans return to dust and do not continue to live beyond the grave. (Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalm 146:4) Every supernatural occurrence is the result of either angels, demons (wicked angels), or the holy spirit."

Reference: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Who Are the Demons? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

YoursTrue

"Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in ghosts. They believe that humans return to dust and do not continue to live beyond the grave. (Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalm 146:4) Every supernatural occurrence is the result of either angels, demons (wicked angels), or the holy spirit."

Reference: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Who Are the Demons? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY
Now that I read your reply, wasn't Jesus trying to reason with Thomas?

YoursTrue

Now that I'm reading your reply, I don't think you put the quotes in the right place. Maybe I'm wrong. The article, however, makes good sense.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hi Frank. You really ask some very thoughtful questions.

Jesus' disciple were aware of the supernatural, as well as visions.
They knew that spirits (angels) appeared and disappeared, with what appeared to be "physical bodies". Angels materialized bodies in order to interact with men.
Exodus 3:2; Daniel 3:21-27; 5:5, 6; 8:15-17; Acts 12:6-11

The article below answers the questions you posed.
Questions From Readers — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Feel free to ask further, if things are not clear.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Sorry.I read luke 24:26-40 again.It doesn't say the word demon.It says the word spirit.

Have you clarified your own question Frank?

Here is the scripture....but what precedes it sets the scene....

"And they got up in that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and they found the Eleven and those assembled together with them, 34 who said: “For a fact the Lord was raised up, and he appeared to Simon!” 35 Then they related the events on the road and how he became known to them by the breaking of the bread."

This is describing another encounter that two of the disciples had with the resurrected Jesus. He had joined the two on foot and had conversed with them on the road, explaining the scriptures. They urged him to stay with them as it was nearly nightfall, but they did not recognize him until he broke the bread at the evening meal....then he simply disappeared. So now in Jerusalem, they are relating the things that happened....

"While they were speaking of these things, he himself stood in their midst and said to them: “May you have peace.” 37 But because they were terrified and frightened, they imagined that they were seeing a spirit. 38 So he said to them: “Why are you troubled, and why have doubts come up in your hearts? 39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; touch me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones just as you see that I have.” 40 And as he said this, he showed them his hands and his feet"

Now analyze what is said.....Jesus stood in their midst and said "May you have peace".....why would they be afraid? Jesus asked the same thing? They were not terrified of seeing Jesus, but of seeing a spirit. Perhaps they remembered the account of the witch of Endor summoning a spirit who pretended to be Samuel. Only when they showed him is execution wounds, did they believe it was Jesus.

They had seen Jesus resurrect Lazarus and had seen him come out of his tomb still wrapped in his bandages. But they had not seen Jesus come out of the tomb.

On other occasions when Jesus "appeared" to his disciples, he was not recognizable and there is no mention of his wounds, which would have been very visible if Jesus was raised in the body that was sacrificed. He was tortured and whipped before his death.

The resurrected Jesus was a spirit but did not appear to his disciples as anything but human. It would have broken God's law.

The Anointed

Have you clarified your own question Frank?

Here is the scripture....but what precedes it sets the scene....

"And they got up in that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and they found the Eleven and those assembled together with them, 34 who said: “For a fact the Lord was raised up, and he appeared to Simon!” 35 Then they related the events on the road and how he became known to them by the breaking of the bread."

This is describing another encounter that two of the disciples had with the resurrected Jesus. He had joined the two on foot and had conversed with them on the road, explaining the scriptures. They urged him to stay with them as it was nearly nightfall, but they did not recognize him until he broke the bread at the evening meal....then he simply disappeared. So now in Jerusalem, they are relating the things that happened....

"While they were speaking of these things, he himself stood in their midst and said to them: “May you have peace.” 37 But because they were terrified and frightened, they imagined that they were seeing a spirit. 38 So he said to them: “Why are you troubled, and why have doubts come up in your hearts? 39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; touch me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones just as you see that I have.” 40 And as he said this, he showed them his hands and his feet"

Now analyze what is said.....Jesus stood in their midst and said "May you have peace".....why would they be afraid? Jesus asked the same thing? They were not terrified of seeing Jesus, but of seeing a spirit. Perhaps they remembered the account of the witch of Endor summoning a spirit who pretended to be Samuel. Only when they showed him is execution wounds, did they believe it was Jesus.

They had seen Jesus resurrect Lazarus and had seen him come out of his tomb still wrapped in his bandages. But they had not seen Jesus come out of the tomb.

On other occasions when Jesus "appeared" to his disciples, he was not recognizable and there is no mention of his wounds, which would have been very visible if Jesus was raised in the body that was sacrificed. He was tortured and whipped before his death.

The resurrected Jesus was a spirit but did not appear to his disciples as anything but human. It would have broken God's law.

You must also remember that Thomas Didymus Jude, the brother of Jesus, who was called the twin, was not present that night.