• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Hindus

Devotee

Vaisnava
hello

i just have a question, do all hindus believe in Enlightenment or are there some that dont. because im only educated in Gaudiya Vaishnava and dont know alot about other forms of hinduism and would like to know about other sects.

Thank you!

bansal2008

how does Gaudiya Vaishnava think about Enlightenment?

I believe Enlightenment is a stage when one has attained self-realization. This is done by through meditation and focusing on chakras of the body. It can take several Janmas to attain this stage..
In this Kaliyug, it is almost impossible to self-realization. Thus, I personally think that Bhakti Yoga is the best method to attain the Brahman/Moksha.

Devotee

Vaisnava
Hi,

In Gaudiya Vaishnavism we think of Enlightenment as being completely absorbed into the light of Krsna. Now, its not like the water drop, and ocean analogy. where you lose your identity. but its like Krsna is a green tree and your a bird with the same shade of green as your color. and when you go into the tree, your concealed, yet still remaining individual.

thank you.

bansal2008

I would like to know more.. I am also Krishna Bhakt.. He is my IShta.
As far i know, Gaudiya Vaishnavism started by Chaitanya MahaPrabhu. Isn't the main focus on Bhakti Yoga in Vaishnavism?
I loved your analogy. Moksha is when you become one with GOD. your Atman get merged with Brahman.

how would you reach enlightenment in Bhakti Yoga? Is it by devotion service to your primary diety? But can you reach enlightenment while living when following Bhakti Yoga? or after death?

HARE KRISHNA!!

rcscwc

Though Advaita is an old philosophy, Gaudapada was the first systematic expounder. He was teacher of the teacher of Shankar, who salutes him as such.

Gaudapada Karika of Mandukya Upa. is a great commentary as it unlocks the cryptic upanishad. He drew from Bhagavad Gita too. Jnana Yoga is considered the most desirable by Krishna, but is harder to pursue by laymen. That does not dilute its importance, and it is accepted all Vaishnavs across the board. In Kaliyuga, Bhakti Yoga is easier and this too can lead to liberation. It is finally enshrined by Shankar too.

So it can be said that Gaudiya Vaishnav tradition is part of the general Advaita strem.

Hope your question is answered.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that all people who draw belief from the Vedas believe in Enlightenment. I think that we all just believe different things about enlightenment depending on the school of thought Ie/ Dvaita, Advaita, Achintya Bedha Abedha Tattva. Do we merge into the Brahman? Do we maintain distinction in a Spiritual world of lila?
These are some of the differences.

Satsangi

Bansal,
Maharshi Patanjali defines Yoga as "Chitta vritti nirodha". One way to stop vritti of the chitta is by Pranayam and other 8 limbs of Ashtang Yoga (Yam, niyama, asana, pyanayam, pratiyahara, dhyana, dharana, samadhi). The other way to stop the chitta vritti is by total absortion of the Chitta in God with Bhakti- this kind of Bhakti is rare and is by His grace only. This is the reason such bhakti is called Bhakti Yoga. Such a devotee has attained Nirvikalpa Samadhi in God without following the traditional Ashtanga Yoga. But the end result is the same as in Ashtanga Yoga. In both paths, this is the true enlightenment- the realization of God (Saakshatkaar).
Regards

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
In this Kaliyug, it is almost impossible to self-realization.

This is lie spread by ISKCON group.It is just to spread bhakti yoga,but that should not come at cost of maligning Jnana Yoga.How can u say it is impossible?

May be difficult but certainly not impossible.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
hello

i just have a question, do all hindus believe in Enlightenment or are there some that dont. because im only educated in Gaudiya Vaishnava and dont know alot about other forms of hinduism and would like to know about other sects.

Thank you!
Do you mean by enlightenment "Moksha"? I think all Hindu sects, without exception, have the concept of Moksha. Moksha simply means sufficient spiritualization of the practitioner to enable him to transcend the dualities.

santdasji

Moksh is becomming liberated from the cycle of birth and death. To attain a divine form and attain teh abode of Godhead. Free from Maya.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
This is lie spread by ISKCON group.It is just to spread bhakti yoga,but that should not come at cost of maligning Jnana Yoga.How can u say it is impossible?

May be difficult but certainly not impossible.

Actually it says 'almost' impossible. Not absolutely impossible. I was always taught that in Kali Yuga it is much harder to progress and seriously, how many people do you see reaching enlightenment on a daily basis? With all of hte material ditractions it is very difficult to dedicate oneself to spirituality and constant practice.

Metempsychosis

Actually it says 'almost' impossible. Not absolutely impossible. I was always taught that in Kali Yuga it is much harder to progress and seriously, how many people do you see reaching enlightenment on a daily basis? With all of hte material ditractions it is very difficult to dedicate oneself to spirituality and constant practice.

In the Kali yuga it is difficult,i accept.But still possible considering the fact atleast 5 to 10 people who are enlightened per century.Reincarnation theory says that any spiritual activity is carried over.So,that means any yoga is beneficial in the long run.Yogic practice is atleast as good as bhakti yoga if not better.But there are certain group who use these things to propagate false and rubbish things abt yogic non-dualists.,saying such yogic practice are impossibe in kali yuga.Ex:ISKCON group and their widely distributed works which they use to settle personal biases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
In the Kali yuga it is difficult,i accept.But still possible considering the fact atleast 5 to 10 people who are enlightened per century.Reincarnation theory says that any spiritual activity is carried over.So,that means any yoga is beneficial in the long run.Yogic practice is atleast as good as bhakti yoga if not better.But there are certain group who use these things to propagate false and rubbish things abt yogic non-dualists.,saying such yogic practice are impossibe in kali yuga.Ex:ISKCON group and their widely distributed works which they use to settle personal biases.

I personally think that neither is better or worse. Bhakti is for those who feel a personal connection and 'yogic' practice is just another means. I personally think that both are important and I have an ISKON background but I do agree that they have a strong bias against anything that isn't Bhakti. It is one thing i disagree with about their line.

Metempsychosis

I personally think that neither is better or worse. Bhakti is for those who feel a personal connection and 'yogic' practice is just another means. I personally think that both are important and I have an ISKON background but I do agree that they have a strong bias against anything that isn't Bhakti. It is one thing i disagree with about their line.

True,atleast many conscious people like you,have realized their inherent flaw in their understanding of truth.