• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Hindus on (non)dualism.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Question for Hindus.
Why are you a dualist as opposed to a monist? Or, why are you a monist as opposed to a dualist?
Am I understanding this right?

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
In the simplest terms...

I am a monist because, in my experience, there is one absolute reality: Brahman.

Everything typically perceived in pragmatic reality is an appearance in Brahman, just as your dream world, when you sleep, is an appearance in you.

There is only Brahman, and I, in my true nature, am that.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have all kinds of people in Hinduism. Polytheists, dualists, monist, as well as atheist (yours faithfully). There is no 'ism' that is not available in Hinduism (except Agnosticism). We are either this way or that way, but never sitting on the fence. It totally depends on a person's choice. I derive my belief from science. We started with 'physical energy' at the time of Big Bang, so that is the only thing that exists, that is what constitutes all things in the universe. But then 'physical energy' is not God. That is what I understand of 'Brahman'.

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

...Or, why are you a monist as opposed to a dualist?

The dualistic path which stresses on submission, unflinching faith, love and devotion to Personal Gods never really appealed to me much.

Its the non-dualistic path of "Jnana" (knowledge of the Infinite Self) that I find more interesting.

In non-duality, the worship of a separate entity is not really necessary because according to this school you ARE the divinity in flesh and you only need to rediscover your true limitless nature.

And still some non-dualists (probably the ones who had a dualistic upbringing) prefers to worship various deities.
They do this to remain humble and keep their mind purified, which they believe is important for the attainment of higher non-dual knowledge whereas other advanced non-dualists simply rely on the teachings of the masters and don't feel the need to worship any forms.

I was a member of the Hare Krishna forum long ago (they're a dualistic group) and to be honest, I found most of them intolerant of other hindu sects and they often displayed online hostility towards the non-dualists.
This is also one of the reasons why I moved away from this dualistic school.

I find the non-dualists more respectful to the followers of other hindu sects. They're always up for peaceful intellectual debates. This is the thing I like most about them. :=)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was a member of the Hare Krishna forum long ago (they're a dualistic group) and to be honest, I found most of them intolerant of other hindu sects and they often displayed online hostility towards the non-dualists. This is also one of the reasons why I moved away from this dualistic school.
I find the non-dualists more respectful to the followers of other hindu sects. They're always up for peaceful intellectual debates. This is the thing I like most about them. :=)
It happened to me too. Thanks for the good words about those who follow non-dual belief. (If Krishna is Brahman, then) I am none other than Krishna.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Question for Hindus.
Why are you a dualist as opposed to a monist? Or, why are you a monist as opposed to a dualist?
I am a nondualist because that is the philosophy that can make the most sense of everything and is the direct experience of the great spiritual figures I most respect.

I admit to being in no position to judge such abstract philosophies from my own direct experience.

The Crimson Universe

It happened to me too. Thanks for the good words about those who follow non-dual belief. (If Krishna is Brahman, then) I am none other than Krishna.

Well, I believe that Krishna (the form) is an unique individual with an unique personality and His form is different from that of the forms/vessels of the common folks.

When you said you're none other than Krishna, you were probably referring NOT to His form but to the infinite spirit, which is the ground of reality that pervades the form called Krishna and forms such as the Jivas. Am i right? ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
When you said you're none other than Krishna, you were probably referring NOT to His form but to the infinite spirit, which is the ground of reality that pervades the form called Krishna and forms such as the Jivas. Am i right? ;)
Yeah. Krishna as far as we know is pre-Aryan indigenous Indian mythology. They made a beautiful form - dark, intensively attractive with peacock feather in his hair, playing a flute, surrounded by cows and his friends, juxtaposed by his fair burly brother. Oh, where are the girls! Krishna is incomplete without them. :D

krishna-and-balaram-on-top-_original.jpg

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Question for Hindus.
Logic.
If two things are fundamentally different in essence, then how can these two things interact with one another. Because all interactions require some sort of law or regularity or structure that connects the two together during the interaction event.
Conclusion: all interacting things are fundamentally same in their essence and only different in their modes and properties.
Hence monism.