• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for females about sexism

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Hi,

My name is Noah and I wanted to ask you this question. :)

Is it sexist in your opinion to say that in a heterosexual relationship the male must take care of (be the provider for) the female because he is the male?

Thank you very very much for all answers, :)
Noah

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Hi,

Is it sexist in your opinion to say that in a heterosexual relationship the male must take care of (be the provider for) the female because he is the male?

Noah
I'm a male and think that it's sexist against men and women

HonestJoe

Why are you only asking females (for a question about sexism at that :confused: )?

The word “must” that is the core of the problem with the statement. That suggests any individual characteristics of the people involved are irrelevant and that we’re all defined by our gender alone.

The question of sexism could go either way given it essentially targets both genders equally but whether it’s wrong and sexist or just wrong doesn’t really make a lot of difference IMO.

Thanda

Hi,

Noah

If my understanding is correct you would be sexist (since you assigned a role based only on someones sex/gender) but you would not necessarily be misogynistic (which is having a hate for women)

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Where did I say they couldn't?

Well, my question is about saying that "the male is the provider for the female." The statement means that in the relationship the male is to be the provider for the female.

I think that that is a very sexist statement.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Why are you only asking females (for a question about sexism at that :confused: )?

The word “must” that is the core of the problem with the statement. That suggests any individual characteristics of the people involved are irrelevant and that we’re all defined by our gender alone.

The question of sexism could go either way given it essentially targets both genders equally but whether it’s wrong and sexist or just wrong doesn’t really make a lot of difference IMO.

I asked women because I was curious to hear from women.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
If my understanding is correct you would be sexist (since you assigned a role based only on someones sex/gender) but you would not necessarily be misogynistic (which is having a hate for women)

No no. I am against that statement ("the male is the provider for the female.") Someone else said it, not me.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, my question is about saying that "the male is the provider for the female." The statement means that in the relationship the male is to be the provider for the female.

I think that that is a very sexist statement.
Well, yes, I do believe in a traditional family structure of having the husband as the head of the household and should therefore provide for his family. This isn't to say that the female can't work at all.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, that is sexism. Such social expectations also are a factor in the rates of male suicides when they feel they can't live up to it or something goes wrong (bad economy, gets fired, can't work, loses home, etc.). That sort of thinking harms both men and women.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Hi,

Noah
It is sexist.
It is sexism shown to both genders. Making assumptions and declarations about both which are simply not universally true.