• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for College Graduates

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Just wondering if there are any college graduates out there living in their parents basement staring at that faded Hope and Change poster, wondering when they can get on with their lives:D
I am a recent college graduate with a good job in my field.

But I wonder, why would college grads want to go back to the economic policy that helped get us into this mess, when the current economy is actually on the upswing?

In addition, you do realize that the world economy plays a big part in America's economy now; we aren't an island. While the world is still having economic woes, America's still likely going to have economic woes. I view Obama, and democrats in general, as better able to deal with the rest of the world, which is increasingly important.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm not interested in getting more "free handouts" for myself; I'm interested in helping others in need.

I also think that for many services (e.g. health insurance), government delivery can be more efficient than private delivery, so putting these things under the responsibility of the government can result in cost savings, meaning that there's more money to go around to do things like pay off the debt.

If you prevent a person from developing a debilitating condition, then you preserve his ability to work. This means less government expense (in the form of disability program payouts) and greater government revenue (since he's earning income that gets taxed). It's a win-win... as are many things in a true social safety net. Proper resources for the elderly means that their adult kids are freer to work at paid jobs instead of caring for their parents. Government-sponsored childcare can allow single parents to work instead of staying home and on welfare to make sure their kids are taken care of. Good public schools create a capable, technologically savvy workforce that can add value to the economy (while creating jobs and tax revenue in the process).

Most of the things in a social safety net are really "win-win" measures when you look at them in the context of the big picture.

But, but, but, but, but paying taxes in exchange for valuable services that are more efficient and effective when delivered by the public sector is SLAVERY. Not wanting to have to step over homeless families outside your doorstep on your way to work is COMMUNISM. Why do you hate freedom? Why?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I don't want to live in a country "where everything is free, except us"... I'm more interested in getting the debt under control, then in getting more free handouts.

How does this relate to college graduates? Student loans aren't hand-outs - they provide a source of revenue for the government.