• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all the people into brain and mind sciences only.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Why does our brains say we are in our bodies?And looking out through our eyes?:)
As I understand our conscious is created by sensory perception from all our bodies sensors hence the attachment to the body. Our eyes are just the sensors we primarily choose to use. You also rely on all the others. Some main ones are sound and smell like when you are relaxing on a beautiful day with your eyes closed, you can hear the birds chirping and smell the nearby flowers. Blind people still feel they are in there bodies and still experience the world without looking out through their eyes.

Frank Goad

As I understand our conscious is created by sensory perception from all our bodies sensors hence the attachment to the body. Our eyes are just the sensors we primarily choose to use. You also rely on all the others. Some main ones are sound and smell like when you are relaxing on a beautiful day with your eyes closed, you can hear the birds chirping and smell the nearby flowers. Blind people still feel they are in there bodies and still experience the world without looking out through their eyes.
Why does our brains say were in a body in the first place though?:)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Why does our brains say we are in our bodies?And looking out through our eyes?:)
Because we are told so. There is no intrinsic notion of the brain being in the body and doing the thinking.
We now know that to be the case but historically people believed all kinds of organs to be the center of thinking, mostly the heart. There are also other ideas like some kind of "spirit" that is not in the body but steering it. There is also the holistic idea of the body and the mind being one entity.
If the idea of being in our bodies was based on sensations those other ideas wouldn't have come up.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Why does our brains say were in a body in the first place though?:)
Physical attachment to form. Neurons, brain mass, nerves are all connected to the body. Electrical pulses all generated by the body. Where else would it think it was.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Physical attachment to form. Neurons, brain mass, nerves are all connected to the body. Electrical pulses all generated by the body. Where else would it think it was.
Its everywhere and far out in space as well as all atoms and molecules in the Universe have the same basic properties.

In fact the observed Cosmic Web has this property itself and the human brain mirrors this scenario.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not clear on what else it should be saying.

If you look at the evolution of the brain, it starts with the first bilaterans, 550 million years ago; there follow the evolution of the nervous center, the central nerve pathway, the bony covering for it that turns it into the spinal chord; and at the same time evolution is selecting for having the sensory organs at the front, not least the eyes, where the optic nerve is an extension of brain tissue and connects directly with the eye's data.

So brain and body develop through the one process, with a whole range of sub-processes, such as the largely autonomous nervous systems of the heart and of the gut, the automation of the release of hormones from the body's glands (many triggered by the brain, many not). I tell you nothing new when I remark, no body, no brain.

EconGuy

Why does our brains say were in a body in the first place though?

Not a brain guy, but I'd say there are two basic answers to the question.

1. This is how our brains evolved
2. This is what we experience
3, Because we are in a body