• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Sharia

Alulu

I have often heard that the Sharia was implemented with succes for centuries but how can I know if it was the man made interpretation or what the Quran or Hadiths really say?

"Sharia" is an empty phrase actually. And it is definately not solely "Gods word" that we just have to "implement" and then all will be fine. Sharia is what scholars through their ijtihad (effort) think is God's word or "meaning on how Muslims should live". And in that effort they differ....because the Quran leaves many things open for time, place and society. And they also differ because they have a different approach on how to understand the primary and secondary sources regarding jurisprudence. Which is not a problem and never has been in orthodoxy, as long as we agree upon the fundamentals. And even from the prophet Muhamad (saws) there are many examples from which we can understand that different approaches to understand the Quran and apply it to their actual lives (so the living reality, not just theory) was different. This is why in the Sunni orthodoxy up until this day 4 different schools of law survived with each having a dinstinct way of understanding the primary and secondary sources and shaping them into jurisprudential opinions. The fundamentals (usul) of those law schools have been passed on from the earliest times. Some school gives more importance to opinion and reason in drawing up jurisprudential conclusions, others base it solely on authentic secondary narrations and a third argues (maliki law school) that the narrations that are nowadays customized such as Bukhari should be left aside when the living practice of the earliest Muslims in Medina points to another Islamic practice. Why? Cuz Imam Malik and his teachers argued that the prophet lived there for many years so thats actually where the living "Islamic practices" can be found if all the Muslims act on it...and it was according to his approach stronger then a narration that came down to him from "iraq", even if it would be authentic.

1) Muslims should first stop thinking that "the sharia" is somehow a direct revelation of God....it is not. How and what u apply is subject to ijtihad (effort) of a scholars....and can therefore be critically taken a look at. 2) A prerequisite of giving legal opinions for scholars is knowing the time and place, because a legal opinion should deal with reality. And based on that reality an answer is formed. Islamic law has many different principes (ahkaam sharia) that are considered while forming a legal opinion.

The sharia for example does not define exactly what kind of clothes Muslim men and women can wear. It does give certain "parameters", as long as the clothes fall within those parameters it is Islamically correct and can therefore be considered "Islamic". Whether the dress is from a cultural point of view Arab, Eskimo, American or Malaysian does not matter. In certain cultures very colourful clothing can be considered "inappropriate" for women to wear, as if they want to "attract attention". Whereas in other (mainly West-African) Muslim cultures such colourful clothing for women have always been there and is not a problem at all. In this example you have different realities, according to their own cultural norms, but both are Muslims....in some cases you find that in one country something is Islamically deemed by scholars as perfectly fine (West Africa for example) whereas in the other country far away it is deemed inappropriate according to their reality.

How can you know what Allah really wanted if you got so many different interpretations?

How can you say that Islam is complete if the Quran, the word of Allah, is incomplete in the sense that it needs man-made Hadith to compose the Sharia?

Islam and the Quran is complete as a source of guidance for our lives. It is not a lawbook, or constitution, or science book etc. Nowehere does it claim that to be. However, through the Quran and the guidance it gives we can find answers for all times. Because it upholds key principles in order to live a good life....nevertheless to give those principles a specific character might chagne from time to time and culture to culture.

The ahadith/narrations are nothing more but important narrations that are used as a secondary source of law in orthodoxy, because we can see through them what the prophet did, did not, encouraged, disapproved, why he did certain actions and much more. The importance of those narrations in Islamic jurisprudence is another question, on which Union for example differs from the orthodox vision. However, also within the orthodox sunni application of ahadith narrations you find within the different law schools and classical scholars distinct attitudes when certain narrations were adopted to form a legal opinion, or were left aside. This goes back to the "fundamentals" and different approaches there are on how to understand and extract legal opinions from the Islamic sources.

Last edited:

dynavert2012

Is there a list of all the Hadiths? Do the Shias also believe in the Saheeh Bukhari?
NO
I have often heard that the Sharia was implemented with succes for centuries but how can I know if it was the man made interpretation or what the Quran or Hadiths really say
How can you know what Allah really wanted if you got so many different interpretations?

when a Judge apply the law for example to suicide a person he has to mention his evidence from Quran and Hadith and how he understands it, and if there's another opinion in Shaira i.e. another understanding of that verse or hadith the lawyer can use it to refute this court at the highest court, so he would say why he choose this opinion or his decision would be refuted easily.
How can you say that Islam is complete if the Quran, the word of Allah, is incomplete in the sense that it needs man-made Hadith to compose the Sharia?
Quran is the word of Allah, and hadith is revealed from Allah to the prophet, Allah said "By the star when it descends,Your companion [Muhammad] has not strayed, nor has he erred,Nor does he speak from [his own] inclination, It is not but a revelation revealed,Taught to him by one intense in strength " 53:1-5 and sid too "And We revealed to you the message that you may make clear to the people what was sent down to them and that they might give thought." 14:44 and the message here is the hadith that Allah revealed to Mohamed to explain what was sent down to us "the quran"

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I had some questions regarding the Sharia.

As far as I know, the Sharia is based on verses from the Quran and the Hadiths. But is the Sharia bound in one book, like verses from the Islamic texts put under one cover titled as the Sharia?

I have tried finding the 'Sharia', but all I found is one PDF but I doubt that this is the standard Sharia used in Islamic countries.

http://www.forever-islam.com/documents/102-Islaamic_Sharia_Law.pdf

If the Sharia is not 'standarised' it means it could differ (slightly) from country to country depending on the interpretation of the verses?

Basically, are the injunctions in the Quran and Hadiths extracted and put in a different book that is to serve as the law book or are all books used?

The Shariah is derived from the Qur'an and Sunnah, that's what it is bound to. There are matters which are not mentioned in the Qur'an and Sunnah so analogies are made etc.

It is something which learned men deal with, lay people only follow and abide by it.